Now I certainly see the difference...

This is a discussion on Now I certainly see the difference... within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So over the past few weeks I have become very interested in finding a holster in anticipation of my license arriving. Prior to being on ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Now I certainly see the difference...

Now I certainly see the difference...

So over the past few weeks I have become very interested in finding a holster in anticipation of my license arriving. Prior to being on this forum, I really thought a holster was a holster. I took most of you at your word that a custom holster was better, but frankly I had to wonder. Now, I have never had a custom holster, but the pictures from guys like K&D, Brommeland, and HBE look to be true pieces of art. Looks are one thing and function is another (these guys certainly get huge points for looks!). So this evening I went down to Sportsmans Warehouse to look very closely at the leather holsters there. Most were just a few ($10-20) dollars cheaper, but upon close inspection I began to see why people like the custom holsters. The holsters at Sportsmans Warehouse lacked the detail and stitching quality that the many pictures of our craftsmen on this forum show. I just wanted to share my thanks to everyone for pointing out the value of craftsmanship and quality...now if I can only decide which holster to purchase. (Maybe that will have to be another thread)

2. Remove Ads

Great to hear...now, if your committed to owning a custom-made holster you better order soon, for part of the price can be a wait of up to 3+ months...

Yeah the 10+ weeks is a little annyoing (but understandable), but I figure I have went this long , so I can wait a bit longer.

Glad you realize the difference. It's more than just looks though, a good custom holster holds your weapon more securely in the same position than a "one size fits all" model will. It's important that when you reach for your gun it's exactly where you think it is, not two inches back and canted differently. Just as important as the holster is the belt it rides on - it's the foundation of a comfortable, stable carry system. There's a reason gun belts can cost as much or more than a custom holster ... and the good ones are worth every penny!

Good luck deciding on a specific leather craftsman. Find one or two you're comfortable betting your life on - because you are. I feel better trusting my skin to Gary Brommeland (or Kevin, Matt, Mark, etc.) than to "Employee #xxx" on some assembly line factory.
    Jack

Meet the ugly bald guy

At the site http://www.packing4life.com there is a recent member that makes custom holsters. Check under the forum listing "Holsters/Meet The Ugly Bald Guy. He goes by the name "jarhead79". His web site is http://www.ubgholsters.com. Maybe he could make what you want if he doesn't have a style that fits your bill.

GOOD LUCK!!!

You Get What You Pay For...

and 'cheap' holsters...one size fits all...will work, but there is no quality.
    I like holsters that are fit to THE GUN...exactly...
    A tight fit that is 'boned' to the exact weapon can't hold a candle to the others. You'll also begin to notice how well the quality holsters hold up under lots of use...

Stay safe!

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Can ya only just buy 1? once you get a nice custom holster it's hard to keep from ordering others. I'll be at 16 when my two Brommeland Def-Con's come in to suffice my two MC-V's for my two main carry gun's. There are more to come!

Ti.
    Train and train hard, you might not get a second chance to make a first impression!

I vote for Monica Lewinsky's Ex-Boyfriend's Wife for President.....Not!

I am a huge believer in the Brommeland Max Con V. It is beautiful and it works. It's when you try one of these top quality holsters out that you will really see the craftmanship. Not to mention the value. What is $80-$100 or so when your life may depend on it? Make sure you get a good belt too. I use a raftersgunleather.com belt they are very good quality double thickness gunbelts that wont break the bank made from just about any kind of leather you can think of.

Quote Originally Posted by Ti Carry View Post
    Can ya only just buy 1? once you get a nice custom holster it's hard to keep from ordering others. I'll be at 16 when my two Brommeland Def-Con's come in to suffice my two MC-V's for my two main carry gun's. There are more to come!

Ti.
    Crap. I hope the Finance Committee doesn't see this...

Distinguished Member Array AnimalKracker's Avatar
    When you get a custom holster, you will soon realize that a lot of time and thought went into the holster that you get. You will soon see features on one persons holster,and you'll want one of them. You'll see someting that you like about anther and you'll want one of those also. You can see where I'm going with this. I have lots of holsters and I'm always seeing something that I like about the custom holsters that are posted here.

Well I did it. I placed my order for a Burgundy Cochise Defender (with initials) from K&D. Now I just have to wait 8-10 weeks. :-)

I'll post pics when I get it.

Ha, I'm down to 5 weeks for my Laredo Defender and belt
    There are no problems in life too large to be handled by the use of small arms and high explosives

In god we trust, all others are suspects

$10.00 transfers in Houston, Texas

I enjoy buying fine leather holsters/belts as much as shooting my friends say. I have several different holsters for each pistol I've got, but pretty much just carry strongside IWB/OWB. Determining the right setup with an excellent made custom rig is as important as determining what gun you will carry, because if you can't reach it, can't get to it, it gets stuck, not where it is supposed to be, takes to much time to pull----it isn't going to help regardless of what it is!

Holster addiction

I have found that buying good holsters can be as much an addiction as buying good handguns. The advantage of holsters is that they cost so much less than guns, you can afford more of them. Some of the holsters are so good looking that it seems a shame they have to be concealed, like this from Del Fatti:

Pogo...

Quote Originally Posted by pogo2 View Post
    I have found that buying good holsters can be as much an addiction as buying good handguns. The advantage of holsters is that they cost so much less than guns, you can afford more of them. Some of the holsters are so good looking that it seems a shame they have to be concealed, like this from Del Fatti:
    Now that's a good looking holster...is that a Glock it's hiding?

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links