WANTED: magazine pocket carry ideas

This is a discussion on WANTED: magazine pocket carry ideas within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'd like to find something like this leather case, for me to purchase so that I can carry a spare magazine in my pocket. I've ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By 10thmtn

Thread: WANTED: magazine pocket carry ideas

WANTED: magazine pocket carry ideas

I'd like to find something like this leather case, for me to purchase so that I can carry a spare magazine in my pocket. I've attached pictures of a knife case... the knife is long gone, but it works perfectly for a Sig 6 round .380 magazine.
    Since I front pocket carry, and that front pocket is devoted only to my weapon, the magazine carrier will go in my other pocket. The one with car keys, change and a pocket knife.
    I want to protect the magazine from my junk with this 'holster' but it has to be like the picture I attached or even smaller, made with a thinner leather.
    Anyone have a source of anything like this?
    Get creative folks.... and thanks for any ideas!!
    Attached Images

2. Remove Ads

Leather Holster Photo Gallery|Handmade, Stitched Quality, Personalize|Bear Creek Holsters

Hidden Holsters - Expertly Crafted Pocket Holsters

Both these guys make mag holders, both ship fast and do nice work. I ordered from both After I gave up on finding an off-the-shelf phone/thumb drive case for my .380 mags.
    Last edited by CPO 15; July 15th, 2012 at 01:13 PM. Reason: Brain stone

Check this out: Products Details

I know it's only available for the full size 1911 now but they are supposed to be coming out with other models soon. Maybe you could rig something yourself...Pretty good made if you ask me...
    Last edited by Crowbait; July 15th, 2012 at 01:16 PM. Reason: Fix link....
    A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government. --George Washington

I've got several from K&D Holsters, for the Kahr PM9 and P380, and the KelTec PF9. Essentially, it's the same thing as a normal belt slide type mag pouch, but without the backing leather that has the belt slots. I find they work very well.

For the double-stack 10rd H&K P2000SK magazines, I've also on occasion used the belt slide double-mag holder in the pocket (of cargo-style pants). IMO, the standard belt slide design of double-mag (and even single-mag) holders allows for the belt slide "wings" to better hold the thing in the pocket when you remove a magazine. More reliable than a mag holder in the pocket that has nothing to hold it in the pocket as you grab a magazine. Nicely, it allows a "standard" mag holder to double as a pocket pouch, avoiding the need to have special pocket-only ones made. Check Fist Holsters, as they'll generally accommodate whatever special alterations or features you're considering (for a modest up-charge).
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

I have used this "magazine wallet" to carry two single stack mags in a cargo pocket:

Order Accessories

You can also check out similar items from Remora.
    Dutch1951 likes this.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

Lots of excellent solutions. Thanks, all

I used to carry my spare mag in my opposite front pocket.

Then one day in a training class, while doing one-hand drills, I realized that I was not able to access my spare mag with the opposite hand. If it had been injured in a real fight, I could not have reloaded.

Something to think about...

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    Leatherman for the 380's. the small was used by me in the 70's when 380 was somewhat more feared by the BG's...well, they did not want to get anyways shot.
    Be aware, be deliberate in your actions and be accurate.
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

I didn't know about the Leatherman. Cool info

What's the idea behind a mag holster for pocket carry in the first place? No lint........obscured outline....easier withdrawal? When I pocket carry a spare magazine, it's just my spare mag in my pocket. Maybe I'm missing something?

In my original post I said that one pocket is dedicated to the carry pistol. My off-strong-side pocket is dedicated to everything else like car keys, pocket change, pocket knives, And many other things. A loaded naked mag just doesn't feel right. I would hate to really need it and pull it out with a car key stuck in the front of the top bullet. I don't know, just a personal problem. ;)

Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    You can also check out similar items from Remora.
    I was thinking Remora also.

1MHS2-2T.jpg
    --Jason--

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    What's the idea behind a mag holster for pocket carry in the first place? No lint........obscured outline....easier withdrawal? When I pocket carry a spare magazine, it's just my spare mag in my pocket. Maybe I'm missing something?
    How do you keep the magazine oriented properly, so it is indexed for easy insertion into the pistol, if the magazine is jumping around loose inside your pocket? A pocket mag holster helps solve this issue - as long as it keep the mag vertical in the pocket.

And yes, the mag holster helps keep lint out of the mag.

Try one - bet you'll like it better than the spare mag just bouncing around in your pocket!
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

Quote Originally Posted by Ron7624 View Post
    I'd like to find something like this leather case, for me to purchase so that I can carry a spare magazine in my pocket. I've attached pictures of a knife case... the knife is long gone, but it works perfectly for a Sig 6 round .380 magazine.
    Since I front pocket carry, and that front pocket is devoted only to my weapon, the magazine carrier will go in my other pocket. The one with car keys, change and a pocket knife.
    I want to protect the magazine from my junk with this 'holster' but it has to be like the picture I attached or even smaller, made with a thinner leather.
    Anyone have a source of anything like this?
    Get creative folks.... and thanks for any ideas!!
    For small mags like your .380, I designed my single pocket mag carriers (which of course protects the mag lips and the cartridges) with a delta wing along the spine of the mag. In tighter pockets, it rests on the delta wing on the bottom of the pocket. In this case, it is automatically oriented to draw the mag and rake the carrier off at the pocket opening by using the delta wing. The mag is then properly held to load into the pistol and the carrier drops back into the pocket. In looser pockets with extra "stuff" being carried, the carrier may move around but the delta wing helps the user to easily identify by touch the proper orientation of the mag so it can be drawn as described above. Some other makers are using that type of design now so you do have some options if you care to go with that type of carrier. Just an additional perspective.

Links