Defensive Carry banner

holster staining question

4K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  QKShooter 
#1 ·
First of all, I have no idea how to work leather in any way. I bought a cheap "rough out" unstained leather pocket holster a few months back and I wet molded it to fit a model 36. It does the job, but I never did like the natural unstained look. I'm thinking of just doing a cheap little dye job on it to give it a simple brown stain, and I was wondering if anybody had any advice. I'm not too worried about this holster (it was 20 bucks), so if its too many steps I'll probably just pass. But if its simple enough, I'd like to just give it a try. Thanks for your suggestions.

#3 ·
Shoe dye will likely come off. A light neatsfoot oil coating will give it a golden brown color. If you want dark brown check out Hobby Lobby and look in their leather section for Eco Flo dye. It's about $6 or so. Maybe check a shoe store that does repairs. My local shop carry Feibings dye. It's about $10 a bottle though. It helps to seal the dye with acrylic seal too.

#4 ·
So if I want to go with the fiebings, does it matter if I go with the standard (alcohol based) leather dye, or the "professional oil based" (also alcohol based) dye?
Leather Dye :: Dye for Leather :: Fiebing's Horse & Leather Care Products

And I'm guessing I just kind of slop it on and let it dry. Should I saturate it, or just give it a nice single "coat of paint"
Thanks for the advice!

#5 ·
If you dye it, it will stain your pocket. I use both kinds of dye, but if I am going to dye both sides, then I use the oil based dye. Apply evenly. It may take more than one coat to get the color you want. Let it dry overnight, then buff with a soft cloth to remove surface residue, which will minimize the dye coming off onto clothes.

After the dye dries, a coat of neatsfoot oil is next. That will darken the color.

Then use an acrylic finish over the top, either Super or Satin Sheen, or Resolene. The resolene should be diluted 50/50 with water first.

If there is any kind of finish already on the holster, the dye won't work as well.

#6 ·
steelhawk is on the money. If you have any mop & glo around cut it 50/50 with water and use it in place of the resolene. It's the same thing. If there is a finish on the holster you can try to clean it off with denatured alcohol. Might not be a bad idea to do it anyway. The residue on the leather from tanning can cause the dye to not take correctly. Just use the wool dauber that comes with it to brush it on.

#7 · (Edited)
Omg

Omg, don't follow ANY of the above advice for a roughout holster. :aargh4:

It's no accident that a Sparks IWB roughout holster is a natural colour.

Tan Leather Handgun holster Fashion accessory Gun accessory

And this Anderson unoiled roughout Thunderbolt would be more than 40 years old.

Handgun holster Leather Brown Tan Gun accessory

Although neatsfoot oil compound (it's not pure in the forms that we buy it in) will, in the hands of experience, give you a nice colour that won't damage your clothes, it is not for a novice unless you feel lucky.

For a roughout holster, especially one that cost so little, leave the finish as it is. Following the advice you've been given will take you to a very ugly result. :blink:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.