Defensive Carry banner

Vest - best one?

4K views 19 replies 13 participants last post by  10-96 
#1 ·
i have several vests now, one is a motorcycle one with cross draw zip pockets, ICON...

the others are some crap from SPORTSMAN GUIDE, not all bad of the 4 i use but would like a BEST one if anyone knows... willing to spend more than i did...

really want to avoid zippers, velcro and/or buttons... the idea is a reach inside your vest and a pull out from a pocket... still concealed all the way, no elastic holding it up, no velcro sound or need of two hands for zipper or velcro...

sadly florida REQUIRES u to conceal it, this of course has some advantages but the bad guy has the supreme advantage, he pulls first and probably only that he is bluffing would give u a chance to shoot him first...

anyway, new to the having permit and carrying, only a few weeks now i guess...

have a CW9 Kahr, 9mm 3.6 inch barrel, almost one pound, 15.8 ounces... 7+1 use corbon powerballs +P

#10 ·
thanks, saved the link, but in florida i want cotton or canvas maybe... certainly not BLACK LEATHER! YIPE!

florida is THE state that needs open carry as to weather... south west must be a real hassle as well if they force u to conceal, i don't know

#11 ·
What can you tell us about Coronado Leather? I am considering this one. Looks great, but how do the "holster pockets" work. Do you still need a pocket holster in these? I appreciate your input.

#5 ·
Our club vests all have a CC pocket on both sides, inside button snap, outside zipper. I can fit my full size Taurus 24 7 G2 in both. When it's in the inside pocket, there is no printing, but on the outside, you can tell there is something, but can't determine if it's a gun. However, my subcompact doesn't print in either pocket.

We recently opened up to female riders, so I called the company and they started making our vest in women's sizes just by asking. Unsure if they had already had this template or not, but the Customer Service was amazing. Made me feel like they did it just for us, whether they did or not is negligible in my mind.

Anyway, the company is Hillside USA, and yeah, you guessed it... all products are made right here in the good old USA. Here's a link to the vests we got Hillside USA Leather - Motorcycle Jackets, Chaps, Motorcycle Vests The leather quality is great compared to other vests we've tried and other leather jackets I've owned. If the "bullet proof" style isn't your thing, check out there other products, I wouldn't hesitate ordering anything else from them. Hope this helps.

#13 ·
thats funny, going to HILLSIDE the first thing u see is VERY much like what i have by ICON, their regulator not interceptor - nice to see they are made in USA and WOW, thats alot of gun to conceal, i looked up your Taurus - i like the more modern "glocky" looking guns... from my Kahr 9mm at just under 16 ounces i'd have to play catch up with u by packing my GLOCK36 but it still smaller than yours and less ammo but at least a .45 like yours... damn, u might as well go all the way now and get CORBON POWERBALLS in +P ;) so for even my much lighter smaller gun i'm thinking leather is the best way to go as cotton, canvas and others may slide around and not distribute the weight as well...

#6 ·
Another option is a shoulder holster with a vest, opens up more choices. Of course if you do that you cannot take your vest off when carrying in public. Eliminates the printing issue.

#7 ·
First off, on a motorcycle, you should really go with a scabbord containing a lever action .45 rifle. Everybody knows that.

I've had great luck with Icon and Alpinestars, but it depends on the style you want. I've had a pretty high speed low side on the track wearing a one-piece Alpinestars leather, and got up without a scratch. I think as far as quality goes, they are top dog. Icon is great but I think they cater more to the flashy crowd sometimes. They have more style and attitude, but they're still excellent quality.

Most of the time, you will need to have a pocket (or a holster) sewn to the inside of the vest. This way you can put the gun in the spot you choose. Choose wisely!! A fall with a gun in your vest can seriously jack you up. Make sure you wont be placing it in front important organs / ribs. It's a sure fire to break a few ribs with even a minor wreck.

Also, congrats on the Kahr. Great gun to conceal carry.

#12 ·
i don't ride anymore - sold my Icon Motorhead Skull Jacket, which was VERY hard to do, but i'm not worthy of it anymore... coolest damn piece of garb i've ever had! and yes ICON is this "we are the coolest stylin' motogarb outfit" company, silly really but i love some of their stuff... thanks for the Kahr word, i was going to be stupid dirt cheap and go with the KELTEC crap, would have been lighter, but even with all their supposed improvements and quality control they still have issues with the PF9... so i figured for i'd spend an extra $100 or so, glad i did...

#9 ·
yes they do, i'm beginning to think its my best of 4 as they others are canvas, cotton, denim... leather has a way of holding and distributing the weight so much better with less motion... in florida? not so great! gotta love cooler cotton on this point

#15 ·
I've had good luck with these... Black Magic Vest

When leather gets hot from the sun beating down on it, it softens to the point where it can print a handgun. IME, cotton denim performs better in that regard and cools the rider better in the summer heat. As long as you don't sew biker patches all over it, you can wear it as a everyday vest as well. Great quality and made in the USA.

#17 ·
$174.95

Top Of The Line Brushed Black on Black Denim Vest.
As Seen on Sons Of Anarchy Show.

so there is some extra SONS OF ANARCHY price built in? :wink:
looks nice but i wouldn't want that lining... i'm in florida - the canvas one i have(SPORTSMANS GUIDE) is ALOT cheaper as in price, but its almost so think that i wish it were thinner, which i know is not good for concealment and weight distribution and gun movement in the vest... so Florida really sucks as far as concealing, this state needs open carry more than any other i'd say... arizona?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.