Defensive Carry banner

Bad idea? (Pocket holster with exposed trigger)

7K views 43 replies 33 participants last post by  High Noon 
#1 ·
See less See more
#13 ·
Looks like the holster is designed to allow the handgun to be fired without being removed from the holster. In this case disguising the outline of the handgun is the primary function of the holster. Not safety.
This.

My CCW class instructor displayed one of these with a blue gun to the class. I believe the intention is to have the outline of a wallet so when a BG mugs you and asks for it, he won't see that it's a gun until it's pointed at him.

I agree that conventional wisdom suggests that having the trigger accessible is not safe, but I'm I'm not totally against this thing in all scenarios.

Reactions: 65108
#11 ·
I was really surprised when I saw Cabelas is selling these. What a bad idea. I used to work with a guy that used to carry with this samw holster or at least one just like it. I expressed my concern for safety but he was adamant that that was the means by which he intended to carry.

#12 ·
Bad idea?
Yes...:yup:

So many other pocket options that do cover the trigger.

#19 ·
Wallet holsters have been around for awhile, to the extent that California (last time I checked) had a statute that outlawed them there. Nevertheless, one can see it's advantages for a committed gunman. The finger hole at bottom is a new twist on an old concept; clever. From a products liability standpoint, I think Gene is taking an unnecessary risk (responsibility for the reliability of the pistol) by surrounding it with leather while it's being fired perhaps repeatedly. Maybe Cabelas has named DeSantis as an additional insured party under their products insurance. Hope so, because Gene's a good guy, and a smart one, too.

#20 ·
Geez...everyone complains that the LCP's trigger is sooooo long that the gun is hard to shoot...then they complain that this holster is unsafe because the trigger isn't covered. So - which is it?

:lol:

:rofl:

Reactions: Dutch1951 and JD
#21 ·
My 442 prints in my pocket a little. But it just looks like "stuff" in my pocket. The holster reliably stays in my pocket when I draw.

I think the point of this holster is to keep the gun in a consistent location. Without a pocket holster it may kind of float around possible "flipping". Now when you go to draw the gun won't be where you left it, or reach into the pocket, the barrel may be facing upwards and you could press the trigger while drawing. Along with the fact that you don't have to rely on the holster getting stuck into your pocket like it's designed to.

But on the other hand, I much prefer the trigger to be covered, so I'll still with my current pocket holster.

#23 ·
After coming out of a business that was posted.... a guy here opened his trunk to get his pistol and rearm himself.... he shot himself in the buttocks when placing it into his back pocket....

#26 ·
Why is everyone so worried about the trigger? Before holsters became politically correct to guard against .law suit happy customers, most holsters had exposed trigger guards. We didn't have any more NDs than now. ADs/NDs are caused by negligent handling. Wallet holsters are not new I used to have one for a High Standard 2 mag. Derringer. That was 30 years ago. I've seen more NDs using so called Security Holsters than I have with plain old school holsters.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk 2

#33 ·
The purpose is to hide the outline of the handgun to prevent its detection in the pocket. The open trigger allows the handgun to be fired without removing it from the holster making it easier to draw and fire.

LCP doesn't print even without any holster, especially in the pocket.
Terrible design, I hope no one on here owns one of these...

#34 ·
Besides being of dubious (safety) design it comes close to being a wallet holster, and considering how the ATF redefines what is and isn't legal I'd be very hesitant.

ATF Online - Firearms - Guides - Identification of Firearms

Wallet Holsters

Notice: All “Any Other Weapons” have a mandatory tax of $200.00 for making. Transfer of an “Any Other Weapons” is an additional $5.00.

Classification
Any Other Weapon with firearm
Distinctive Characteristics

Holster has hole to fire weapon
Rate of Transfer Tax
$5.00 with firearm; no tax without firearm

Buckle Belt buckle
Wallet Fashion accessory Copper Rectangle Leather

#37 ·
Besides being of dubious (safety) design it comes close to being a wallet holster, and considering how the ATF redefines what is and isn't legal I'd be very hesitant.

ATF Online - Firearms - Guides - Identification of Firearms

Wallet Holsters

Notice: All “Any Other Weapons” have a mandatory tax of $200.00 for making. Transfer of an “Any Other Weapons” is an additional $5.00.

Classification
Any Other Weapon with firearm
Distinctive Characteristics

Holster has hole to fire weapon
Rate of Transfer Tax
$5.00 with firearm; no tax without firearm

View attachment 60984 View attachment 60985
The Current ATF ruling says that if the slide is not covered it is not NOT considered an AOW... the slide on the Desantis is NOT covered.. .it is NOT an AOW, currently...

Also here's a story about a man who successfully used one: Here

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.