Looking for a leather holster for my 1911

This is a discussion on Looking for a leather holster for my 1911 within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I already have two leather holsters for my 1911, and I'm looking for something more suitable for training. Will you suggest a few holsters for ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By sgb

Thread: Looking for a leather holster for my 1911

I already have two leather holsters for my 1911, and I'm looking for something more suitable for training. Will you suggest a few holsters for me to consider?

First, hear why these holsters don't work so well for me.

My first holster is the Bianchi Carry-lok. It's a fine carry holster, but my biggest problem with it is that the lock prevents a proper grip when you begin the draw. Disengaging the lock with the middle finger also slows you down, and after repeatedly drawing (say, in the context of a course), your hand gets tired fast.

My second holster is the El Paso Crosshair. Whereas the Bianchi Carry-lok has a more or less rigid opening, thanks to the plastic lock, the Crosshair has a more flexible, collapsible opening. But my biggest problem with it is that the holster does not allow for a full, solid grip.

Right now I'm looking at the Milt Sparks 55BN, which seems to give enough space for me to get a full grip. It is also reinforced with metal at the mouth to prevent the holster for collapsing. I'd be glad to hear other, cheaper suggestions!

Thanks!

VIP Member
    Well most times you get what you pay for!

Some of these guys make their own. I can't believe how nice a job they do. You need to find a guy making them and have them build just what you want. Since you got two now you should know what you want. Most people don't know what they want.

sgb
    Quote Originally Posted by MrBuckwheat View Post
    Well most times you get what you pay for!

Some of these guys make their own. I can't believe how nice a job they do. You need to find a guy making them and have them build just what you want. Since you got two now you should know what you want. Most people don't know what they want.
    The MS 55 BN is a great choice, I make a pancake style holster out of 8/9 oz leather which incorporates a wrap around leather reinforced opening. I find the wider belt loop spacing helps distribute the weight better.

gasmitty and mb1900 like this.
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

Distinguished Member Array kapnketel's Avatar
    I have a PureKustom Black Ops Pro. A great holster that has good retention and is easy draw and excellent re-holstering. Its the best holster I own, and like many here, I have a drawer full.
    I'd rather be lucky than good any day

There's nothing that will change someone's moral outlook quicker than cash in large sums.

Majority rule only works if you're also considering individual rights. Because you can't have five wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for supper.

I like Sparks products, but haven't tried his OWB rigs. My Summer Special II is one of my favorite 1911 holsters of all time.

SGB, those stag's are stellar, would love to have a set. Where did they come from? I really like a set with more dark than light features like those; beautiful.

Senior Member Array GeorgiaDawg's Avatar
    I've got a Sparks VMII and it covers well. Very comfortable, but it's IWB. I see OWB mentioned but don't have one for my 1911.
    "For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast." - Ephesians 2:8-9

“The purpose of the law is not to prevent a future offense, but to punish the one actually committed” - Ayn Rand

sgb
    Quote Originally Posted by matthew03 View Post
    I like Sparks products, but haven't tried his OWB rigs. My Summer Special II is one of my favorite 1911 holsters of all time.

SGB, those stag's are stellar, would love to have a set. Where did they come from? I really like a set with more dark than light features like those; beautiful.

Milt Sparks holsters are top notch as are Kramer, both of which were my go to holsters up till I started making my own. The grips I got in a trade a decade or so ago and they've got that aged patina from use that makes them look so good I think.
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

Check out Kirkpatrick leather in Texas. They have website
    Glock 20sf, Sig P938

try crossbreed if you want a Iwb

look at Fist holsters, I have a couple of carry holsters but they make all kinds
    I love my Country but I fear my Government

I have a Galco Avenger OWB holster that I use for carry in the cooler months with a cover garment and I used it in two advanced classes that I took. Resonably priced in my opinion, good retention (adjustable with a screw), and holds it's shape. Opening is reinforced with a band of learther. I got it at Optics planet for less than the normal list price and free shipping, about 3 years ago.
    Live to ride, ride to live. Harley Road King And keep a .45 handy Kimber Custom TLE II

look at garrett industries, they use a leather lined kydex. great holsters

For an all leather holster the Milt Sparks VM2 is VERY hard to beat as long as you can swallow the wait list.

For anything other than a 1911 I have several Minotaur M-TACs.
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."
    - Roy Batty

I am discovering there is usually a very long required lead time for holster orders. For such high end stuff, most makers don't have an inventory, it seems, and many are backlogged.

Quote Originally Posted by JDE101 View Post
    I have a Galco Avenger OWB holster that I use for carry in the cooler months with a cover garment and I used it in two advanced classes that I took. Resonably priced in my opinion, good retention (adjustable with a screw), and holds it's shape. Opening is reinforced with a band of learther. I got it at Optics planet for less than the normal list price and free shipping, about 3 years ago.
    I took a look a the Avenger. It seems like the holster extends up to almost touch the top screw of the pistol grip. Does it allow you to grip the gun fully, so you don't have to fix your grip after drawing?

Senior Member Array GeorgiaDawg's Avatar
    I got my MS VMII from gunbroker.com from an authorized dealer. Only took a few days rather than months. You can keep an eye out for one there but I'm sure there are other quality holsters with a shorter wait time.
    "For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast." - Ephesians 2:8-9

“The purpose of the law is not to prevent a future offense, but to punish the one actually committed” - Ayn Rand

Sponsored Links