Need a good holster for the gym.

This is a discussion on Need a good holster for the gym. within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; This Colorado Batman movie massacre got me thinking. I pack some sort of heat 95% of the time. I don't when I am working out ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Need a good holster for the gym.

Need a good holster for the gym.

This Colorado Batman movie massacre got me thinking. I pack some sort of heat 95% of the time. I don't when I am working out at the gym even though there was gunshots fired outside my gym about a year ago.

I have a LCP and a Remora. While I never had the lcp fall out of my Remora while wearing it, I don't know if it would be up to the task of what I go through at the gym and I wouldn't want to take the chance of it falling out on the ground and people seeing it.

So any holsters that are ultra ultra concealable, comfortable, and secure. I don't need something that is super accessible and fast to draw. I just need something that can hold the lcp and if I need it, I would be able to get it.

And no I won't wear a fanny pack. I am not muscular enough to be a bodybuilder lol.

2. Remove Ads

One of the various belly band configurations might be an idea.
    Dutch1951 likes this.
    "The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come." ~ Confucius

I've got the 5.11 holster shirt. Works pretty well and is standard X-style wicking/compression fabric. After several washes it bounces more than I'd like when running with a heavier pistol, but it's plenty secure even during pushups or in an aero position on the bike. With an LCP, I think it would be just fine. The biggest problems: it's a grope, not a draw (probably even more of a grope with a pocket pistol), and I'm not all that psyched about a soft trigger cover.

I've also looked at the PT-1 as a possibility, but haven't yet tried it.

This makes me wonder how I should carry when I'm in the pool... or in the sauna.

Smart Carry. I find it more secure and more comfortable than the 5.11 holster shirt.

Quote Originally Posted by mb1900 View Post
    This makes me wonder how I should carry when I'm in the pool... or in the sauna.
    That thought crossed my mind too
    tommy62 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by ampre View Post
    Smart Carry. I find it more secure and more comfortable than the 5.11 holster shirt.
    How is the retention on those?

They look like a good idea but it looks like there might not be a whole lot of retention.

Quote Originally Posted by NH_Esau View Post
    I'm not all that psyched about a soft trigger cover.
    You can always make yourself a Kydex "taco". I describe what I did in this thread:

UC Comfort in Action (Video FINALLY)

-john

Quote Originally Posted by joepa150 View Post

They look like a good idea but it looks like there might not be a whole lot of retention.
    On the Smart Carry? My experience is that retention is very good. I've worn it trail running with a S&W BG380 and had no problems at all. The only time I've had a retention problem with it was with my PX4sc (a pretty heavy pistol for the size) hanging upside-down on an inversion table. The PX4 started to slip out *very slowly* - it didn't just come flying out. Luckily that was in my basement and not in a gym, so I just pulled it out and laid it on the floor till I was done. I've actually inverted with the BG380 (a much lighter gun) and it stayed in place just fine.

Now the 5.11 holster shirt on the other hand... the PX4 falls out if I bend over to tie my shoes, and the BG380 has never fallen out but it flops around a lot so that it's almost never in exactly the same position twice.

I really liked the idea of the shirt, but it hasn't worked well for me. The Smart Carry on the other hand is fantastic in just about any situation where you need deep concealment, even under minimal clothing. Not in the sauna or the pool, but certainly pool-side in nothing but trunks, or at the beach, or if you like running with your shirt off, etc. And not just for exercise. I often wear it under dress slacks and khakis in work and social situations where very discrete carry is required (otherwise I prefer to carry IWB for a faster draw).

Quote Originally Posted by joepa150 View Post

On the Smart Carry? My experience is that retention is very good. I've worn it trail running with a S&W BG380 and had no problems at all. The only time I've had a retention problem with it was with my PX4sc (a pretty heavy pistol for the size) hanging upside-down on an inversion table. The PX4 started to slip out *very slowly* - it didn't just come flying out. Luckily that was in my basement and not in a gym, so I just pulled it out and laid it on the floor till I was done. I've actually inverted with the BG380 (a much lighter gun) and it stayed in place just fine.

Now the 5.11 holster shirt on the other hand... the PX4 falls out if I bend over to tie my shoes, and the BG380 has never fallen out but it flops around a lot so that it's almost never in exactly the same position twice.

I really liked the idea of the shirt, but it hasn't worked well for me. The Smart Carry on the other hand is fantastic in just about any situation where you need deep concealment, even under minimal clothing. Not in the sauna or the pool, but certainly pool-side in nothing but trunks, or at the beach, or if you like running with your shirt off, etc. And not just for exercise. I often wear it under dress slacks and khakis in work and social situations where very discrete carry is required (otherwise I prefer to carry IWB for a faster draw).

For Soft Holsters like a Belly Band, one of the holster tee shirts, or the universal holster in some bags/purses/brief cases a good solution is a kaydex trigger guard cover. I use a Zac. by Dale Fricke Holsters and have a short loop of 550 cord sewn in the holster portion and attach the cord from the Zac. to that short loop so that when I draw the pistol the Zac. covers the trigger for the first 4 or 5 inches of the draw. These Kaydex covers are also available from Raven concealment and others.

Throw a holstered, service size pistol in a backpack. Mine is always right next to my station or etc. I keep the pocket unzipped 6 inches or so. I carried a P3AT in my jersey shorts for awhile, but it gets in the way in a lot of big movements(locking out on deadlifts for example, or flopping around while hauling butt on an exercise bike). Glock 17+Stick of Happy+TLR1+semi zipped open backpack pocket is full of win.

ETA: If you really want something on your person, throw a nice size blade in your pocket. If you're running at night just run with a folding knife in your fist. I'll run holding/palming a P3AT in its nemesis holster like I would a wallet. With the anti print panel it all looks the same.
    If you're going to carry one weapon, might as well carry two, because as the saying goes, "Two is one, and one is none."

"Liberals can decline or whine, but I will still carry and conceal mine." - Cold Warrior. Excellent quote good sir!

Well, I know people say they scream "gun" or certainly "geezer" but I use a Ka-Bar TDI fanny pack when I work out. And no, I don't accessorize with sandals and OTC black socks with plaid shorts.

Here's a description

GH
    Keep a towel with you & keep your firearm inside that. Most gym clothing won't lend themselves to concealed carry options.
    Glenn

USN Submarine & UDT/SEAL Veteran
    1SG, US Army Retired - Airborne Infantry All the Way!
    Special Warfare Mentor
    M&P40, M&P40C

Quote Originally Posted by ROFL SQUAD View Post
    Throw a holstered, service size pistol in a backpack. Mine is always right next to my station or etc. I keep the pocket unzipped 6 inches or so. I carried a P3AT in my jersey shorts for awhile, but it gets in the way in a lot of big movements(locking out on deadlifts for example, or flopping around while hauling butt on an exercise bike). Glock 17+Stick of Happy+TLR1+semi zipped open backpack pocket is full of win.

ETA: If you really want something on your person, throw a nice size blade in your pocket. If you're running at night just run with a folding knife in your fist. I'll run holding/palming a P3AT in its nemesis holster like I would a wallet. With the anti print panel it all looks the same.
    I like this idea.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links