Can you identify this holster?

This is a discussion on Can you identify this holster? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Greetings, I bought this holster at an antique shop because it looked so cool, but I don't know what it was used for. No numbers, ...

Thread: Can you identify this holster?

Can you identify this holster?

Greetings,

I bought this holster at an antique shop because it looked so cool, but I don't know what it was used for.

No numbers, letters, or other marks.

Can you identify it?

Thanks much.

Bill
    Attached Images

2. Remove Ads

Not absolutely sure,but it looks like some i've seen issued to airforce pilots way back in the day,i've seen some that look similar to that on bases in history boxes.

It resembles the Bill Jordan Border Patrol holster made by Bianchi some 35 yrs ago. The Border Patrol had a snap on the side of the holster. In order to sit in your vehicle, you'd unsnap that button, and the holster would swing back and forth enabling you to sit.
    Why Waltz when you can Rock-N-Roll

sgb
    Looks like an old Jay-Pee swivel holster.
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

Almost looks like a standard issue 1911 holster, but not quite...

It looks like it may be meant for a single action revolver like a blackhawk or Colt single action army... with a fairly short barrel

Quote Originally Posted by glockrocker View Post
    Not absolutely sure,but it looks like some i've seen issued to airforce pilots way back in the day,i've seen some that look similar to that on bases in history boxes.
    This might be on track - bet if you throw a K-frame in there, the grooves and wear marks will match.

Not a military holster, but a police holster prior to 1950. The revolvers of the period were often the SW N frame and the Colt of the same size.
    Red (Richard) Nichols
    Holster designer-maker since 1958

An invention is an accident that has been waiting to happen.

Red hit it right on the mark. My first LE job many years ago I was issued one almost identical along with a S&W 38/44.

Administrator
    Possibly for a Mounted Police Officer.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Distinguished Member
    the first 15 years I worked for the NC state prison dept. I guarded medium custody prisoners in the fields on horseback at the Caledonia prison farm in Halifax County we all were carring a holster just like this but in black. We carried a SW Victory model in 38 special. The holster held the pistol low on ur side and the loops held bullets next to the belt. You had to keep an eye on those bullets there because they had a way of getting pushed up thereby falling out. I was just a regular officer but the lead officer had a two holsters on, a left and a right side so that when one of us officers had to get close to the inmates we turned our weapons over to him for safety. Just the way we did things but it worked with no problems and later on when we moved up to the stainless SW model 65 357 mag we used the same holster. Now Transportantion officers and if u worked a gun tower we used a different holster , Jordan holster with no bullet loops but with the same side snap to retain the weapon. As a long arm out in the field the two officers carried 870 shotguns used number one buck and the lead officer had a Winchester 30-30 which later on the Winchester was retired and they got mini 14 GB models abt the same time we got the smith 65. Now when I retired after over 30 years all over the state went to the SW 40 caliber and keep the rem. 870 as the shotgun and the mini 14 in different variations. Now I work part time with the Sheriff's Office we carry Glock 17 as a side arm with moss berg 500 shotguns as a long arm with M16 in certain vehicles for tactical officers.
    bTW when the state switched pistols we were allowed to purchase them I have my victory model still and my brother talked me out of the model 65 which he still has. I told him if he ever decides to sell I have first option to buy back.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms."*
    -Thomas Jefferson
    "The Constitution shall never be construed ... to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms."**
    -Samuel Adams

Dang, that leather still looks nice too. PM QKShooter for his recommendation for treatment - he knows a world of info on old leather.
    Richard

NRA Life Member

"But if they don't exist, how can a man see them?"

"You may think I'm pompous, but actually I'm pedantic... let me explain the difference."

"Carry the battle to them. Don't let them bring it to you. Put them on the defensive and don't ever apologize for anything."

Quote Originally Posted by CLASS3NH View Post
    It resembles the Bill Jordan Border Patrol holster made by Bianchi some 35 yrs ago. The Border Patrol had a snap on the side of the holster. In order to sit in your vehicle, you'd unsnap that button, and the holster would swing back and forth enabling you to sit.
    I agree. It reminds me of some of those I have seen in old pictures of the Border Patrol and also the Texas Rangers.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Quote Originally Posted by Rock and Glock View Post
    Dang, that leather still looks nice too. PM QKShooter for his recommendation for treatment - he knows a world of info on old leather.
    QKShooter knows how to treat old leather.... okay I am SO NOT going there!
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Links