Defensive Carry banner

Snubbie pocket carriers - need cargo shorts and pants recommendation

7K views 51 replies 34 participants last post by  Once 
#1 · (Edited)
Title pretty much says it all. Looking for some cargo shorts and pants that will take a snubbie in the front (not cargo) pocket, without the grip peeking out at the top of the pocket.

The ones I currently have needed tailoring (to deepen the pocket), and are getting in need of replacement (so says my wife). :embarassed:

Recommendations? Links appreciated!

Thanks. :smile:

#2 ·
I can't remember exact brand names, but I seen some great options at Bass Pro Shops. It wouldn't surprise me if they were made with pocket carry in mind. :wink:

#51 ·
If you really don't want cargo shorts, get some BassPro comfort fit jeans and get them cut off to make shorts. The pockets in their comfort fit jeans are huge. A Buddy that wears size 38 can hide a Glock 26 and it never prints.

I've no problem with a P238 in that style of jeans with a 34" waist.

I haven't tried their cargo shorts but I wouldn't be surprised if they had some that had big pockets. My favorite camo pants for ground hog hunting are from BassPro and I've no problem with the P238 in the non-cargo pocket.

Fitch

#3 ·
I love the Kohl's Cargo shorts ("Croft and Barrow").

I can carry a G26, a G36, or an LCR easy.

Croft and Barrow Twill Side-Elastic Cargo Shorts

The belt loops are wide enough for my gunbelt, the elastic is comfortable, they are durable, they have a lot of pockets, and they are highly fashionable.

AND, if you shop on Wednesday you might get the Senior Discount. :yup:

#12 ·
I love the Kohl's Cargo shorts ("Croft and Barrow").

I can carry a G26, a G36, or an LCR easy.

Croft and Barrow Twill Side-Elastic Cargo Shorts

The belt loops are wide enough for my gunbelt, the elastic is comfortable, they are durable, they have a lot of pockets, and they are highly fashionable.

AND, if you shop on Wednesday you might get the Senior Discount. :yup:
Wow! A G36 in the pocket? Impressive.

If you're pocket carrying, can you use the cargo pockets for other stuff - or do they poof out too much, since they are sewn directly over the front pockets?

Reactions: scgunlover1
#50 ·
Wrangler® available at Walmart and other fine stores. You can carry comfortably in the front pocket like I do, or if you use the cargo pockets, they are secured with velcro so you aren't worried with buttons or snaps. Gun in right front pocket.

View attachment 61156 View attachment 61157
What Gene said.

I wear the Wrangler cargo shorts daily and my S&W 642 disappears into the front right pocket with an Uncle Mike's #3.

#6 ·
5.11 is all I wear. Big pockets

#9 ·
Problem I have with the 5.11 stuff is that I would need to order it online, and my experience with ordering clothing online is that it never fits right. I much prefer to buy locally in a retail store, so I can try the stuff on. I'd also like to avoid the obvious "tactical" clothing, if at all possible.

Thanks for the suggestions - keep 'em coming!

#13 ·
If you're pocket carrying, can you use the cargo pockets for other stuff - or do they poof out too much, since they are sewn directly over the front pockets?
I might slip some thin items in the cargo pockets such as knives, money clip, comb, etc., but nothing bulky such as a key ring or a wallet.

The back pockets have velcro flaps too, and at about 1/3 the price of the 5.11's a steal.

#16 ·
Tru-Spec cargo shorts and pants are vastly superior to 5.11. Look for the Tru-Spec versions that have elastic in the waistband with 2 inches of play; one can put a snubbie into the front pocket or the cargo pocket, or IWB with the elastic stretched out. No need to have two different pairs of pants for pocket versus IWB carry with waist band 2" inches larger than normal for IWB. Available in a variety of colors and a variety of materials (cotton, nylon, nylon-reinforced non-rip cotton, etc.) and several styles (short pants, long pants with zip-off legs, and regular long pants).

The Tru-Spec cargo pants accept a 1.75 inch "Instructor's" nylon belt such as the Wilderness makes.

I have a bunch of 5.11 pants and they all stay in the closet.

#17 ·
I wear EcoTac and Tru spec that I got at from Rogue Elite they are my work slacks. For shorts I use some I got at Sears they look a lot like the Kohls ones

#18 ·
My wife buys all my clothes. I think my cargo shorts are Tommy Bahama, and they can hold a 642 in the regular pocket without the butt showing.

You don't necessarily need cargo shorts if the pocket is roomy.

#20 ·
Just so happened to get a 15% discount code via email from Streichers today, plus free shipping (if anyone else is interested, it's "OLYMPIC15" - this weekend only).

I'm going to try the Tru-Spec shorts - with the discount they came to ~ $30 each. I think the mag holsters sewn into the cargo pockets and other features are worth it.

Thanks all!

#22 ·

https://www.wearvertx.com/VertxMensShorts.aspx

A lot better than the Tru-Spec IMHO. More low key too. The best part is that the pockets are sewn from inside the leg, so you don't get that poofed out look. They breathe reeeeeeally well.

The shorts are the same as the pants, obviously just shorter lol:

#23 ·
Cabela's carries their "7 Pocket Hiker Pants/Shorts" and I've found them to be fairly decent. The design has changed a little since originally introduced, but they're still good. Generous size of pockets, stretch material (in some).

#24 ·
Once you settle on the pants, contact Robert Mika for a holster made just to your specs for cargo pants. He made mine to the measurements I provided. You can't go wrong and the price is right.

Reactions: marcclarke
#26 ·
I have been pocket carrying for about 5 years. I like the Sam's Club brand "Savane" for a few reasons, and I have tried many different cargo shorts. Mainly, the Savane ones do not use a linen for the pocket, like most cargo shorts. The pocket is actually the same heavy weight cotton as the rest of the shorts. The main pocket is as deep as the short, going "behind" the cargo pocket, so that is where I put my gun, that way if I need to I can put my hand in the pocket and on the gun and it just looks like I have my hand in the pocket. A lot of cargo shorts have small main pockets and they are not deep enough and they are linen, too light of a material for my liking...the gun sort of flops around in those types. The Savanes are about $12 too so that is nice and they last longer than any others I have had and come in a handful of colors. The newer ones have a exterior cell pocket that is on the right side also, so for right side carry, the phone further breaks up any outline and adds no bulk.

My 2cents. Good luck!

#29 ·
As many have noted above, there are lots of standard cargo shorts you can buy, whose pockets will fit a gun. What you have there is just that: a pocket with a gun in it. There is no fit or retention and the gun can easily flop around or change position with movement. For some, that's OK. I choose not.

Take a long look at the CCW Breakaways cargo and standard shorts. Each of the front pockets (not the cargo pockets) are fitted with a dedicated holster system that is adjustable for any gun. By that, I mean that you could easily carry a full size combat race gun or Desert Eagle in either front pocket, with no problem and no print. The cargo pockets also have the option of carrying extra magazines, flashlight, baton or other gear, if you desire, and a decent belt spreads the weight.

To address the reluctance about order clothes on line, I can only say that they have a toll free number that lets you talk right to a fit expert and I have never (never) had any issues with the accuracy of their advice. They also have a complete no-hassle return or exchange policy.

Shorts - CCW Breakaways

They are not a cheap, fits-all sort of product. In my humble opinion, the price is well worth it for getting a quality piece of equipment. I own four pair of the pants and one of the shorts. No regrets.

#30 ·
#31 ·
Brademan - I actually tried the Breakaways pants when they first came out. I was one of the folks who suggested they offer a plastic trigger shield for the holster/pocket - because I was able to pull the trigger (in a test/unloaded gun) on my G26. Not good, when you have kids around - kids who like to jump on you, climb on you, grab at you, etc.

Aside from that, I found the pocket/holster to be awkward - the gun sat on top of my thigh when sitting, and it printed. Now, I have (ahem) large thighs, so while it was an issue for me, it might not be for others.

Jay was great to work with, but in the end I sold the pants at a loss. Glad they work for you, but I've BTDT, and cannot afford to give them another try at those prices.

ETA - Lots of votes for the Wranglers at Wal Mart. I have their "Originals" now - had some older ones cut down to make shorts. I had to have the pockets deepened by a tailor - they were not quite deep enough to keep the grip from peeking out at the top of the pocket. I wear my shirts tucked in (old habits).

Anyway, I have tried these shorts, and I found the crotch to be too low. I hate that "style" of clothing. Reminds me of the "pants on the ground" thing. :blink:

I'm going to give the Tru Spec a try. If they are too "tactical" looking, I might look into some of the other suggestions. Thanks everyone! :yup:

#34 ·
Brademan - I actually tried the Breakaways pants when they first came out. I was one of the folks who suggested they offer a plastic trigger shield for the holster/pocket - because I was able to pull the trigger (in a test/unloaded gun) on my G26. Not good, when you have kids around - kids who like to jump on you, climb on you, grab at you, etc.

Aside from that, I found the pocket/holster to be awkward - the gun sat on top of my thigh when sitting, and it printed. Now, I have (ahem) large thighs, so while it was an issue for me, it might not be for others.

Jay was great to work with, but in the end I sold the pants at a loss. Glad they work for you, but I've BTDT, and cannot afford to give them another try at those prices.

:
Now that's interesting, since I was also one who gave input to Jay on that shield. Glad that we both had similar ideas. We are clearly built differently because, as I mentioned, I have no print issues with the shorts (long pants either) and I find them to be very adjustable for gun position. I guess it's a clear case of YMMV, and that will always be the case. Different things work for different folks and it's always good to get other opinions!

#32 ·
I dont wear shorts much, but my Dockers and Hager trousers carry the j frame nice and deep in the pocket. My Levi Blue jeans also completely envelop the j frame.

#33 ·
I can carry my G26 in my Dockers pockets with no issues at all. Too bad I have to dress "business formal" (suit and tie) much more often than "business casual." Only problem is that there aren't enough pockets to carry all the other "stuff." For weekends and casual attire, I wear cargo pants/shorts exclusively for that reason.

ETA - Regarding pockets holsters...thanks for the recommendations, but I'm all set there. My G26 and LCR ride in Desantis Superfly pocket holsters, while my LCPs ride in holsters made by Jim at www.hiddenholsters.net. He added thumb push-offs for me, which make the pistol practically leap into your hand. Good stuff...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.