Is my homebrew IWB sufficient? (trigger covering question)

This is a discussion on Is my homebrew IWB sufficient? (trigger covering question) within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; On the WalMar AD/ND thread, BugDude (who I greatly respect) wrote, Originally Posted by BugDude ... [no expert recommends] carrying IWB without a holster that ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Sig35seven

Thread: Is my homebrew IWB sufficient? (trigger covering question)

Distinguished Member Array Paymeister's Avatar

Is my homebrew IWB sufficient? (trigger covering question)

On the WalMar AD/ND thread, BugDude (who I greatly respect) wrote,
    Quote Originally Posted by BugDude View Post
    ... [no expert recommends] carrying IWB without a holster that accomplishes two objectives: 1) Secures the position of the weapon 2) Covers the trigger.
    For deep concealment I sewed some 4" wide elastic to the inside of my waistband, which creates a pocket with heavy twill on the outside and 4" elastic on the inside. This tuckable design eliminates the hook over the belt, and allows me to completely conceal a full-sized auto. Pants partly on I slide my DA/SA pistol into this pocket, with cartridge chambered and decocker/safety on. I then pull my slacks up and flip the decocker/safety off. Out of concern for the faint-of-heart I will not be attaching photos.

The belt provides the positioning and security, and the elastic covers the trigger completely. Not addressing the reholstering question - that would be the least of my worries if I ever need to draw - would you consider the trigger sufficiently protected in this situation? I think that with great effort I *might* be able to bring the trigger perhaps halfway back if I jammed my finger into just the right spot on the outside of my leg and pulled up, but it would be a difficult, deliberate task. The effect is similar to a belly-band holster: the trigger guard has a tightened elastic shroud completely covering it.

Maybe I ought to unload and for-reals try to make it go 'click'.

Thoughts?
    Recently updated website: http://www.damagedphotorepair.com

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by Paymeister View Post
    On the WalMar AD/ND thread, BugDude (who I greatly respect) wrote,

For deep concealment I sewed some 4" wide elastic to the inside of my waistband, which creates a pocket with heavy twill on the outside and 4" elastic on the inside. This tuckable design eliminates the hook over the belt, and allows me to completely conceal a full-sized auto. Pants partly on I slide my DA/SA pistol into this pocket, with cartridge chambered and decocker/safety on. I then pull my slacks up and flip the decocker/safety off. Out of concern for the faint-of-heart I will not be attaching photos.

The belt provides the positioning and security, and the elastic covers the trigger completely. Not addressing the reholstering question - that would be the least of my worries if I ever need to draw - would you consider the trigger sufficiently protected in this situation? I think that with great effort I *might* be able to bring the trigger perhaps halfway back if I jammed my finger into just the right spot on the outside of my leg and pulled up, but it would be a difficult, deliberate task. The effect is similar to a belly-band holster: the trigger guard has a tightened elastic shroud completely covering it.

Maybe I ought to unload and for-reals try to make it go 'click'.

Thoughts?
    That's what I would do. Try to make it click. If you can push the elastic in with your finger enough to contact the trigger, I would say that isn't safe. I would also see how hard to is to get the gun to fall out. As in with an unloaded firearm lay down, jump around, stand on your head, whatever.

If you get it to go click, then look at lining it with a stiffer material. If you are handy enough to sew the elastic in you could sew some leather over the trigger area. Or even line the pocket with kydex or a similar plastic.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

Paymeister, what's up buddy? I'd like to see some pics. Perhaps get someone to hold the pants with the gun in it and take some pics from the inside. I'm struggling to get a good mental image. I'd certainly unload the gun then try to get the system to fail. If you can't get it to fail by intentionally manipulating it beyond normal wear, then it is most likely fine. A buddy of mine that lives near you does car interiors. He made me some pocket holsters out of upholstery vinyl. He could make you a vinyl pocket liner for your set-up that would cover barrel and trigger guard inside your internal pocket. Let me know and I can PM you his number.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Trigger should be protected by a stiff material. It sounds like a stiff poke with a stick could fire the gun. Line it with Kydex or leather to prevent it from happening. Remember Murphy's law.
    Gforty likes this.
    "Confidence is food for the wise man but liquor for the fool"

There was a post that somebody slid the cut up plastic from a milk gun into a smart carry for extra protection against anything pressing against the trigger. Light flexable and cheap to work with.
    You do not know, what you do not know, until you realize that you do not know it

Links