Maybe I'm doing it wrong...

This is a discussion on Maybe I'm doing it wrong... within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Okay, I've been carrying for a number of years, sometimes OWB but for the last 5 years or so pretty much exclusively IWB. I have ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Maybe I'm doing it wrong...

Maybe I'm doing it wrong...

Okay, I've been carrying for a number of years, sometimes OWB but for the last 5 years or so pretty much exclusively IWB. I have tried every conceivable holster style (mostly because I like to buy new holsters, not because I have been unhappy with any style, necessarily). What I have never done was had a gun belt. I frankly never understood how a reenforced belt would make carrying IWB any more comfortable (OWB I get... belt won't fold over on itself like it sometimes will with a cheap, flimsy belt).

Soooo after lurking around on this site for a year and reading from so many people about how the belt is the key I finally broke down and got one. After wearing it for about two weeks I have to say I don't see a difference. I've worn leather, kydex, and hybrids to give it a good test, and not once at the end of the day have I thought "Wow, that belt really made a difference". It's not any less comfortable, but I really can't tell a difference between that and the Levi's belt I bought at Target (or wherever). Any feedback?
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

2. Remove Ads

It made a big difference for me, but then again I have a lot more stuff to get inside my waiste band too (reference to my middle-aged mid section).
    mano3 likes this.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Imo either Levi makes some great belts or you didn't get a beltman. I only have experience with his stuff. It is extremely rigid, almost heavy and just feels to be better quality. I noticed.a huge difference in just a little old LC9. So for me there was a huge difference. Mind telling us or even better showing us what you bought? I have seen things labeled as gun belts that came nowhere close to my bullhide one from the beltman.
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

If you are more specific about what you carry and whose gunbelt you bought, it might result in some "opinions" from the readers here.....just sayin'...

Distinguished Member Array Burns's Avatar
    Gunbelts normally stand up to wear and tear a bit better
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable- JFK

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Brad426 View Post

. After wearing it for about two weeks I have to say I don't see a difference. I've worn leather, kydex, and hybrids to give it a good test, and not once at the end of the day have I thought "Wow, that belt really made a difference". It's not any less comfortable, but I really can't tell a difference between that and the Levi's belt I bought at Target (or wherever). Any feedback?
    What are you carrying? Full size 1911 will require more support than. Glock 26 etc. If it's a smaller lighter gun a belt may not make that much of a difference.

Sent via Tapatalk, and still using real words.

I'll see if I can do the pictures later, but right now I'm actually at the pool...

At any rate the carry weapons have been (not at the same time) a S&W M&P 45c and a Sig P220 (because I had several holsters for it and it's heavy). The belt is a BladeTech. I realize that might not be the Cadillac of belts, but it's very strong... I can't fold it over on itself using all my strength (and I have the strength of ten men).

I will say that I have always picked my regular belts based on their rigidity, so they were probably on the sturdier end of the non-gun belt spectrum.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

Quote Originally Posted by Burns View Post
    Gunbelts normally stand up to wear and tear a bit better
    Now that I can see. This thing seems like it could take a freaking beating for years.
    Clint Eastwood

Very good first post, Brad. You have challenged conventional wisdom with reasoning. Urban myths, like "the 2nd Amendment is all about militias" and "15 degrees is the perfect carry angle" survive because they make good sound bites and don't require actual thinking. Well done.

You are correct that a sophisticated iwb design does not need a special belt. And the least sophisticated of them - the old standby clip- ons - don't require a belt at all.

I can tell the difference, but everybody is different.

I dunno about your bladetech belt, but I've got a Galco belt and a Rock Steady belt by High Noon Holsters.

Both belts are marketed as gun belts, but they sure aren't the same. The High Noon belt's MSRP was about 30% more than the Galco, but it's a 100% better belt.

Sent from my Galaxy S2
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

IMO, the primary function of a properly effective "gun" belt is to hold the holster's position in place. Overall, that should yield the greatest reliability of having the gun where you'll need it, the greatest chance of concealment, and as good an opportunity as you're going to get for comfort. As for comfort, the a proper gun belt will tend to be stiffer, thicker and less forgiving, in a very real sense. From that perspective, it might even seem less comfortable. But it also moves around less, can keep the holster/gun combination in place and avoid it flopping around.

Comfort? IWB isn't the most comfortable method of carry, I'll grant you that. But to my way of thinking the primary role of the gun belt isn't for comfort improvement, it's for carry improvement.

As for "doing it wrong," the greatest change you can do to affect comfort level is: mode of carry, and position. Depending on where the bumps and curves are on your specific body, and how much padding you've got between the holstered gun and those bumps/curves, you've got a limited number of choices for positioning that'll be most comfortable. Via trial and error, pick one. That's about all you can do. The only other choice beyond uncomfortable belt carry would be: carry elsewhere (ie, shoulder holster).
    mprp likes this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Maybe the belts you wore previously were sufficient to the task. I had a few regular belts before getting a good gun belt and I saw a difference.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Is the Target belt still the original length? That's where I noticed most of the difference. Every cheap leather belt I bought stretched. Since I have been working with leather some and looking around I have realized that some "leather" belts are basically leather scraps glued together. Think press board wood. Now, if you got a solid leather belt you may not be having the same issues some of us have had. A couple of changes I noticed going to a webbing belt, no stretch, less bounce on the holster, and the gun stayed vertical instead of wanting to lean out. Overall, much better. I'm getting ready to make a leather belt too.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    IMO, the primary function of a properly effective "gun" belt is to hold the holster's position in place. Overall, that should yield the greatest reliability of having the gun where you'll need it, the greatest chance of concealment, and as good an opportunity as you're going to get for comfort. As for comfort, the a proper gun belt will tend to be stiffer, thicker and less forgiving, in a very real sense. From that perspective, it might even seem less comfortable. But it also moves around less, can keep the holster/gun combination in place and avoid it flopping around.

Comfort? IWB isn't the most comfortable method of carry, I'll grant you that. But to my way of thinking the primary role of the gun belt isn't for comfort improvement, it's for carry improvement.

As for "doing it wrong," the greatest change you can do to affect comfort level is: mode of carry, and position. Depending on where the bumps and curves are on your specific body, and how much padding you've got between the holstered gun and those bumps/curves, you've got a limited number of choices for positioning that'll be most comfortable. Via trial and error, pick one. That's about all you can do. The only other choice beyond uncomfortable belt carry would be: carry elsewhere (ie, shoulder holster).
    Agree 100%. Also, if I may add to this, a thicker "gun belt" is less likely to result in your holster being drawn along with your firearm from the clip(s) not fully catching and holding on the belt. That wouldn't be good.
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

I've had a bladetech looper belt about a year and half now worn everyday, I noticed the difference first time I put it on. I dont snug my belt tight, so my pants do sag a little , but what I notice is the gun doesnt flop out away from my body and I dont feel all the weight in one spot pulling my pants down. This is my first leather gun belt and bought it because it was about $43 shipped,I gave up on nylon belts,nylon belts are stiff and work well but I couldnt get used to having it on snug tight.
    A friend will help you move. A real friend will help move the bodies.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links