Finally gave in a bought a J Frame. Holster decision time

This is a discussion on Finally gave in a bought a J Frame. Holster decision time within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Just put an order through for a mika round cut pocket holster. Being able to alternate between strong side or weak side pocket carry based ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Finally gave in a bought a J Frame. Holster decision time

Just put an order through for a mika round cut pocket holster. Being able to alternate between strong side or weak side pocket carry based on the presence (or lack thereof) of another gun. I got to shoot the J-Frame a bit today. It is certainly a different animal than I've dealt with before. I didn't shoot it all that well on the first run, but that's why we practice I suppose! Developing my off hand skills with this one should be a nice challenge.

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array GentlemanJim's Avatar
    I am right handed.

During the warmer months I carry a G19 or G26 at 4 o'clock and a 442 in a left hand Don Hume JIT Slide at 9 - 10 o'clock. It's accessible to both hands but I like the left handed holster because I envision needing the gun mainly if my right hand is injured or occupied.

In the winter when I am wearing a heavy coat I find myself carrying the same G19 or G26 at 4 o'clock, but I carry my 442 and .357 in my coat pockets and use the Don Hume JIT Slides as pocket holsters.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by msc8127 View Post
    Anyhow, I gave in and bought a J frame today.

Whether IWB or OWB, my primary carry location is in the 4 o'clock position.

So, what are you all's thoughts on the 11 o'clock / semi-cross draw location for a back-up gun vs pocket carry? With the 0 cant AIWB type holster I could of course carry the J as a primary in the appendix region as well. Maybe I need to get both and have both options?

Thoughts?

Thanks
    Nothing will make you appreciate the high cap autos more than taking one to the range and putting 17 rounds thru your G19 and then getting only 5 away with your J frame! Then do a reload of each!

Mate of mine is down to 50% of his man- gear due to an a/d in the 1 o'clock position, and a smart man learns from other's mistakes, not his own. And he was standing! Imagine if he'd been drawing from a seated position! Goodbye femoral artery.

Stay with the 4 o'clock carry, because pistols are unfeeling, unthinking machines just like chainsaws and motorcycles.

I like the Comp-Tac 2 o'clock for my j-frame if i am carrying IWB
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."
    - Roy Batty

I am a pocket carrier myself, but also think the 11 o clock would be a good position, have carried there before and was suprised at how comfortable it was.....but so easy to slide that baby in your pocket n go about your business.....
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American GI. One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

I asked my stock broker the other day, what I should be investing in ....his reply, canned goods n ammo !!!

I'll see how the mika pocket holster serves me for a few weeks once it gets here. That is assuming that i'm shooting the j-frame at a satisfactory level by then. If that doesn't work out how I need it to, I'll look into some of the other good options you all have given / we've discussed here. I'd say that 95% of the time the j-frame is going to be serving as a backup to glock 17 or 19, so I think the pocket arrangement will be fine so long as I can make myself do without all the other crap I keep in my pockets.

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar
    It boils down to what fits your body. If you bought an airweight and you're a larger guy who can comfortably pocket carry, that's your best option. As comfortable as IWB/OWB carry of a J frame is, It bothers me because I know I could and probably should be carrying more gun/larger caliber if I'm going to be carrying on the belt. And truthfully, I find carrying a revolver on the belt more uncomforable than any semi because of the cylinder buldge versus the flatness of a semi.

Having said that I do have an OWB and IWB holster for a J frame from UBG holsters and find them to be a very good blend of quality, fit, comfort and value. You can pay a LOT more for a holster and only get relatively more quality or fit but why would we other than because we can and like the fancy gear.

Go pocket if you can. The only value I've ever found for cross draw was for carrying a handgun crossdraw so it wouldn't interfer with carrying a long gun on a sling on my strong side.

Gideon

I also have a j frame. My carry holster is a simple uncle mikes belt holster. It has a snap strap over the hammer. Easy to unsnap and draw. Nice inexpensive and easy to use.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links