Finally gave in a bought a J Frame. Holster decision time

This is a discussion on Finally gave in a bought a J Frame. Holster decision time within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My primary carry gun alternates lately between glock 17, 19, and sig p220SAS. Yes, I favor larger guns and generally they provide me with no ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Finally gave in a bought a J Frame. Holster decision time

My primary carry gun alternates lately between glock 17, 19, and sig p220SAS. Yes, I favor larger guns and generally they provide me with no issues for the level of concealment I feel I need where I live. Anyhow, I gave in and bought a J frame today as there as been so much talk about how versatile they are on the forum for a good, long while now. So, for whatever it is worth I have been going back and forth for the last 6 or 7 hours moving the gun between 11 o'clock carry vs pocket carry trying to get a feel for which location would serve me most efficiently as a backup / secondary gun location.

Whether IWB or OWB, my primary carry location is in the 4 o'clock position, so I do like that the 11 o'clock position gives me different accessibility options than my typical primary location. Of course, pocket carry has the whole perk of being able to get a full grip on the gun while not looking suspicious, etc.

That said, my first impression is that I favor the 11 o'clock position because I can access the gun with either hand as needed. I'd most likely want to go with a 0 cant right hand holster as I'd prefer to be able to access with my right hand from this position. However, while slightly awkward, I can access the gun with my left hand from this position as well.

So, what are you all's thoughts on the 11 o'clock / semi-cross draw location for a back-up gun vs pocket carry? With the 0 cant AIWB type holster I could of course carry the J as a primary in the appendix region as well. Maybe I need to get both and have both options?

Thoughts?

Thanks

IWB and IWB tuckable
    Inexpensive and work well with J Frames and other makes too
    https://acecase.com/mix-match-leathe...ludes-s-h.html
    "One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation."
    --Thomas B. Reed, American Attorney

Second Amendment -- Established December 15, 1791 and slowly eroded ever since What happened to "..... shall not be infringed."

I would go for weak side pocket. That way you have a weapon accessible to either hand and you can have your hand on ti in your pocket without looking suspicious. I have also carried a snub as secondary access OWB at the 7:00 position in a right hand holster with the drip pointing to my left side. I can draw it with my palm facing away from me.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

I prefer strong hand pocket if used as a primary.
    JerryMac likes this.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Senior Moderator
    Ditto Glockman for me
    A real man loves his wife, and places his family as the most important thing in life. Nothing has brought me more peace and content in life than simply being a good husband and father.

J-Frame, good choice. I use a plain old paddle holster for mine.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

+1 on the paddle holster or either a IWB Don Hume, I don't care for pocket carry.
    US Navy Veteren
    Ruger SP101 357 3" Barrel
    Taurus 65 357 Mag
    Glock 19 Gen3
    Walther PK 380
    www.guntoters.com

I will definitely get a pocket holster coming and try that out. I will keep debating myself on the appendix carry holster for a while. Thanks for the replies.

sent via iCarry

I have an AIWB, but I use my Mika pocket holster 90% of the time. It is just so easy to drop the gun/holster in my pocket and go.

Try IWB holster. I've picked up some nice ones on ebay at decent prices. Good luck.

I went the way of the J frame recently too. I carry it front side pocket or ankle. I have Blackhawk paddle but it's more for winter as it is rather bulky.
    Dave

"When among wild beasts, if they menace you, be a wild beast."
    -Herman Melville

sgb
    My S&W 442 is strictly a BUG for me and carried in my weak side front pocket when the pants I'm wearing won't allow for my S&W 6906.
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

I have an Alessi IWB in black. Will make you a great deal. Alessi make the lightest and softest holsters, American made. I bought it and just could not get the hang of an IWB. Then I sold the 442 and the holster is pigeon holed in my gun supplies. Wore it about 6 times. She still needs to be broken in. Just let me know.

Alessi Gun Holsters

Quote Originally Posted by msc8127 View Post
    I will definitely get a pocket holster coming and try that out. I will keep debating myself on the appendix carry holster for a while.
    Good choice. Pocket carry is easy and works in a lot of situations. Personally I'm not a fan of appendix carry unless I have a safety--a reholstering accident could be fatal or worse.

Senior Member Array royal barnes's Avatar
    +1 for Glockman's comment. I carry a Colt Agent revolver in one of two Mika pocket holsters on the strong side. I have one round cut for jeans and dockers and a square cut for cargo pants and shorts.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links