Finally gave in a bought a J Frame. Holster decision time

This is a discussion on Finally gave in a bought a J Frame. Holster decision time within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My primary carry gun alternates lately between glock 17, 19, and sig p220SAS. Yes, I favor larger guns and generally they provide me with no ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Finally gave in a bought a J Frame. Holster decision time

My primary carry gun alternates lately between glock 17, 19, and sig p220SAS. Yes, I favor larger guns and generally they provide me with no issues for the level of concealment I feel I need where I live. Anyhow, I gave in and bought a J frame today as there as been so much talk about how versatile they are on the forum for a good, long while now. So, for whatever it is worth I have been going back and forth for the last 6 or 7 hours moving the gun between 11 o'clock carry vs pocket carry trying to get a feel for which location would serve me most efficiently as a backup / secondary gun location.

Whether IWB or OWB, my primary carry location is in the 4 o'clock position, so I do like that the 11 o'clock position gives me different accessibility options than my typical primary location. Of course, pocket carry has the whole perk of being able to get a full grip on the gun while not looking suspicious, etc.

That said, my first impression is that I favor the 11 o'clock position because I can access the gun with either hand as needed. I'd most likely want to go with a 0 cant right hand holster as I'd prefer to be able to access with my right hand from this position. However, while slightly awkward, I can access the gun with my left hand from this position as well.

So, what are you all's thoughts on the 11 o'clock / semi-cross draw location for a back-up gun vs pocket carry? With the 0 cant AIWB type holster I could of course carry the J as a primary in the appendix region as well. Maybe I need to get both and have both options?

Thoughts?

Thanks

IWB and IWB tuckable
    Inexpensive and work well with J Frames and other makes too
    https://acecase.com/mix-match-leathe...ludes-s-h.html
    "One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation."
    --Thomas B. Reed, American Attorney

Second Amendment -- Established December 15, 1791 and slowly eroded ever since What happened to "..... shall not be infringed."

I would go for weak side pocket. That way you have a weapon accessible to either hand and you can have your hand on ti in your pocket without looking suspicious. I have also carried a snub as secondary access OWB at the 7:00 position in a right hand holster with the drip pointing to my left side. I can draw it with my palm facing away from me.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

I prefer strong hand pocket if used as a primary.
    JerryMac likes this.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Senior Moderator
    Ditto Glockman for me
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

J-Frame, good choice. I use a plain old paddle holster for mine.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

+1 on the paddle holster or either a IWB Don Hume, I don't care for pocket carry.
    US Navy Veteren
    Ruger SP101 357 3" Barrel
    Taurus 65 357 Mag
    Glock 19 Gen3
    Walther PK 380
    www.guntoters.com

I will definitely get a pocket holster coming and try that out. I will keep debating myself on the appendix carry holster for a while. Thanks for the replies.

sent via iCarry

I have an AIWB, but I use my Mika pocket holster 90% of the time. It is just so easy to drop the gun/holster in my pocket and go.

Try IWB holster. I've picked up some nice ones on ebay at decent prices. Good luck.

I went the way of the J frame recently too. I carry it front side pocket or ankle. I have Blackhawk paddle but it's more for winter as it is rather bulky.
    Dave

"When among wild beasts, if they menace you, be a wild beast."
    -Herman Melville

sgb
    My S&W 442 is strictly a BUG for me and carried in my weak side front pocket when the pants I'm wearing won't allow for my S&W 6906.
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

I have an Alessi IWB in black. Will make you a great deal. Alessi make the lightest and softest holsters, American made. I bought it and just could not get the hang of an IWB. Then I sold the 442 and the holster is pigeon holed in my gun supplies. Wore it about 6 times. She still needs to be broken in. Just let me know.

Alessi Gun Holsters

Quote Originally Posted by msc8127 View Post
    I will definitely get a pocket holster coming and try that out. I will keep debating myself on the appendix carry holster for a while.
    Good choice. Pocket carry is easy and works in a lot of situations. Personally I'm not a fan of appendix carry unless I have a safety--a reholstering accident could be fatal or worse.

Senior Member Array royal barnes's Avatar
    +1 for Glockman's comment. I carry a Colt Agent revolver in one of two Mika pocket holsters on the strong side. I have one round cut for jeans and dockers and a square cut for cargo pants and shorts.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links