Just got my first custom holster - thanks Tucker!

This is a discussion on Just got my first custom holster - thanks Tucker! within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hey all! I just got my first hand-made holster in a few days ago, so I thought I'd share my pride, now that I have ...

Thread: Just got my first custom holster - thanks Tucker!

Hey all! I just got my first hand-made holster in a few days ago, so I thought I'd share my pride, now that I have a full setup. I got a Texas Heritage from Tucker Gunleather (http://tuckergunleather.com/), since I needed a tuckable holster and that sat nicely in my price range. Before I got this, I'd been using a Desantis Tuck-This! holster, and the difference is almost unimaginable. Going from the T-T with the single clip stacked on top of the gun to the Heritage with the clips on either side just made it feel like the gun vanished from my hip! I think it's a very handsome holster, and it fits my Bersa .380 perfectly - additionally, Rob was great about returning my calls and answering my newbie questions. The only thing I can almost say I dislike is that I figured the kydex C-clamps would actually be in the shape of a "C" and lip over my belt on either side - this isn't the case, there's only a lip on the bottom and a flat cap on the top of the clip, but I presume that's simply the way they're made, and I still like them better than the J-clips. I apologize if the pics are not entirely clear...for some reason, even with multiple lights in the room, I can't seem to get my camera to take any pictures indoors that aren't incredibly dark - the ones down there are -after- I brightened them in photoshop. It's a very cool feeling to know I have everything I need at last...now, it's just time for, say, another gun...or a dozen...I could get hooked!
    Attached Images

looks like a nice holster

I have been wondering if he could make one for the Bersa. I have meant to e-mail him and ask, now I know.

In the pic the skin gaurd does not cover the tang, does it cover it when you are wearing it? If it doesn't do you find the tang digging into your side?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by myusername View Post
    I have been wondering if he could make one for the Bersa. I have meant to e-mail him and ask, now I know.

In the pic the skin gaurd does not cover the tang, does it cover it when you are wearing it? If it doesn't do you find the tang digging into your side?

Thanks
    Yes, he does make it - the holsters with kydex, he doesn't, because his supplier doesn't have a mold for the Bersa, but he does have one to make leather holsters for, and it fits beautifully. I also was concerned about the tang on the gun, since the Desantis I was using doesn't have any sort of guard and I was getting lots of mini-bruises where I'm pudgy, but if you take a look at the shot of the empty holster, you'll see a strip of leather extending upwards - this is on the body side of the holster, and between that and the positioning of the gun in the holster, I have to sit down and lean all the way sideways out of my chair to make it dig in uncomfortably.

Thanks for the info. That thing can be painful when it digs in without warning.

I'm trying to decide if I want one with the two clips like yours or the one with the single clip. I think the two may spread out the pressure a bit. I think I want to try the velcro clips.

How long did it take to get your holster made.

Quote Originally Posted by myusername View Post
    Thanks for the info. That thing can be painful when it digs in without warning.

I'm trying to decide if I want one with the two clips like yours or the one with the single clip. I think the two may spread out the pressure a bit. I think I want to try the velcro clips.

How long did it take to get your holster made.
    I recommend the two clips - my old holster was the single-clip style, and it just wasn't stable; it shifted around when I walked or sat, and the cant of the grip was never the same twice if I should need to draw it quickly. Plus, it's a bit bulkier in terms of concealment. All of those things may be less of a factor if it's a higher quality single-clip holster, but they're my observations from what I used. It took about three weeks for my holster.

Thanks for all the help.

I was wondering if you could tell me how low the holster/gun rides?

Thanks

I could, but...

a picture is worth a thousand words

I can easily get a full grip on the gun while holstered.
    Attached Images

If you want the clips to cover belt in actual "C" shape do the following.

Heat top of clips with hair dryer with belt in place. You can then bend top of clips down over belt. Works real well

Quote Originally Posted by quantum36 View Post

Heat top of clips with hair dryer with belt in place. You can then bend top of clips down over belt. Works real well
    Thanks for the tip! I've not had any problems with my belt slipping out of the clips, so I'm not sure it would be worth any actual effort, but I'll keep that in mind.

Thanks a lot for the pictures. Due to difficulties with my cheap one clip holster with the butt poking out I was hoping it would sit lower. But since it has that rear clip I think it will hold the butt of the gun close to the body. I can't wait to get it and try.

Thanks again.

Sponsor

C-Clips are that way on purpose

Quote Originally Posted by quantum36 View Post

If you have a true "C"-shaped clip (with a curve at the top and bottom) and you have real gunbelt that can't flex easily, you must thread your belt through the clips. With the current design you can easily insert your belt without having to thread the belt through.

The top lip of the C-Clip puts the weight of the gun on the belt and works best with a rigid gunbelt and poorly with single layer belt straps.

That's why they are made the way their made.
    Rob

Links