Reinforced vs Non Reinforced.

This is a discussion on Reinforced vs Non Reinforced. within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hello, My first post and was wondering does a reinforced opening add much more to the width of the holster. I ask this as I ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reinforced vs Non Reinforced.

Reinforced vs Non Reinforced.

Hello,

My first post and was wondering does a reinforced opening add much more to the width of the holster. I ask this as I narrowed my two choices for IWB carry, Milt Sparks WS or VM. Also does one tend to be more comfortable than the other.

Thanks

2. Remove Ads

I have both type holsters and it's a very individual thing. The reinforcing adds a small amount to overall thickness but not really noticeable. I currently am favoring a reinforced mouth IWB. What really matters to me is carry comfort more than one handed reholstering for civilian carry.
    If you stand up and be counted, from time to time you may get yourself knocked down. But remember this: A man flattened by an opponent can get up again. A man flattened by conformity stays down for good. ~ Thomas J. Watson, Jr.

I have a Milt Sparks WS and several VMs, and my preference is toward the VM style with the reinforced opening. Both carry well with little difference in overall thickneww. If you plan on spending any time at the range drawing from your concealed carry rig, you will find the VM to be much more accommodating to easy reholstering.
    Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum

Senior Member Array Eric Larsen's Avatar
    Its strictly a personal preference kinda thing....I make them both ways and for me, I dont like a reinforced mouth. Some designs make them really thin and some not so thin.....Typically the steel reinforced mouths are the thickest.
    Thus for comfort the Watch 6 is more comfy than the VM2....even with that being considered....some say the VM is the most comfy holster they have. Its all relative.
    Shoot well and god bless
    Last edited by Eric Larsen; September 20th, 2006 at 05:41 PM.
    If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice..........Rush

Distinguished Member Array USPnTX's Avatar
    Welcome to the forum!!
    "Do not fear those who disagree with you; fear those that do and are too cowardly to admit it" - Napoleon

Thanks for the info and the welcome aboard. I am leaning towards the VM2 and since my carry gun is thin, this should work well. I will also be placing an order for a belt and a mag holder at the same time. Now the fun part, WAITING !!.

Welcome

I OWB myself.
    "A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on."
    - Sir Winston Churchill

I want to be able to reholster with one hand, easily, so the reinforced ones are my choice, though Alessi makes one that works pretty well without any metal, it's held open by the way he folds the leather.
    Mostly I use a VM2 or an EX.
    By the way, Tony and the guys are running about 16 weeks out. I just ordered another Summer Special and it will be a neat holster to have show up in February when I usually don't get anything but snow and cold!

Welcome...

from Central Florida!

Search the Fist, Inc. site...I believe you'll see the difference with a reinforced holster. There appears to be two ways I have noticed (I'm no expert) that my holsters have the strength to stay open (the goal) for 'one-handed' reholstering.
    First is an extra piece of leather sewn on the outside curve of the holster and this does not appear to make the holster any wider...just stronger!
    The second is two separate pieces of leather, sewing the holster together on both ends (rather that one piece of leather folded over and sewn on one end)...did I explain that well enough?
    Both of these options seem to make the holster stay open for reholstering the weapon (with one hand) into a IWB holster worn with a tight belt...
    Works for me...no problems!

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I have 3 Gary Brommeland, www.brommelandgunleather.com , Max Con V's which are not reinforced and I don't have a bit of trouble with one handed reholstering.
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence in their behalf. - George Orwell

I can't stand a reinforced mouth. I have a MS Heritage and won't wear it. I holster up with Max-Con V's too and couldn't be happier with them. Thin is the way to go for me. I even run the slime line CCW grip's on my 1911's for the thinest possible carry. The band's make a huge difference for me. I would be willing to bet that if you wore both for a week the one you would end up with would be the thinner option. But it's like everyone else say's, a personal preference. Check out how thin a MC-V is, Gary show's a side view here http://www.brommelandgunleather.com/Products/maxV.htm that show's just how thin a MC-V is. Holstering is a cinch as well.

Just wanted to give you another opinion to the never ending holster search. This might be your first custom holster, but I can guarantee it won't be your last.

Ti.
    Train and train hard, you might not get a second chance to make a first impression!

I vote for Monica Lewinsky's Ex-Boyfriend's Wife for President.....Not!

Reinforced opening adds a little width

Quote Originally Posted by usm1carbine View Post
    does a reinforced opening add much more to the width of the holster?
    I have holsters of both designs and feel that the reinforcing, which is usually an extra piece of leather sewn onto the holster body at the top, does add some width. But it also stiffens the top and keeps it open without a gun in the holster, making reholster easier.

Since holster leather is perhaps 1/8 inch thick, the reinforcing will add this much if it is on one side only, like this on a Kirkpatrick holster:
    Single reinforcing leather strip
    If the strip also wraps around to the back of the holster, as some do, it could add double the 1/8 inch to thickness, or 1/4 inch.

If the extra thickness bothers you, one solution is a Kramer horsehide holster like the "belt scabbard" model, in which the horsehide is so stiff that it stays open without any reinforcing strip to add to thickness. I have found this to be the case on my Kramer holster for an H&K USPc 40:
    Kramer horsehide belt scabbard without reinforcing strip

Lead Moderator
    I don't think reinforcement adds that much to the holster, but does add to the ease of reholstering. But as you can see there are differing opinions.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

I agree that the "leather" strip for reinforcement is not bad at all but he is asking about the VM-II which has the steel band as does the Heritage models. The steel band is the difference maker the leather is not.

Ti.
    Train and train hard, you might not get a second chance to make a first impression!

I vote for Monica Lewinsky's Ex-Boyfriend's Wife for President.....Not!

I make both reinforced and plain holsters, both IWB and OWB.

It is largely a matter of personal choice, I carry a SIG 226 in a pancake holster that I reiforced the mouth and have absolutely no problems with 1 handed reholstering, I also have some holsters that are not reinforced but are molded to fit tightly and in that process they hardened somewhat and are equally easy to holster 1 handed.
    Ranger Gunleather

If light rails were needed on handguns John Browning would have included it on the 1911.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links