Finally a Backpacking Concealed Carry Solution for hiking!! - Page 2

Finally a Backpacking Concealed Carry Solution for hiking!!

This is a discussion on Finally a Backpacking Concealed Carry Solution for hiking!! within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Looks good, but not so great for women....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Finally a Backpacking Concealed Carry Solution for hiking!!

Looks good, but not so great for women.

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar
    As for the straps rubbing under the arm pit; I plan on wearing this low enough so my backpack sternum strap will be above the Snubby chest pack. That should keep the straps under the arms low enough. As for women, I agree this probably wouldn't work and have always imagined that backpack shoulder straps can be a pain for women as well. I know on packs designed for women that the straps are modified although I'm not sure how.

I just heard from the maker and my wait shouldn't be too much longer. I continue to hike using a 642 that I pocket carry. In my neck of the woods the main threat would be people so a .38 is reasonable. When I do get the Snubby chest carrier I'll be carrying either my Kahr P9 or my compact 1911 .45.

I'll definitely post a thorough review.

Gideon

This looks like it could have its uses, I will add it to my carry options.
    English is my second language, I have been told my use of it is harsh, apologies if this is the matter.

You know what stops a bad guy with a gun? A good guy with a gun

Just get a shoulder holste and be done with it....
    The police are not there to protect you from crime, they are there to arrest the guy after the crime has been committed, assuming they find him. It is your responsibility to protect yourself and your family.

Problem with a shoulder holster is you have a larger strap on your left shoulder (in my case) underneath your backpack strap. It'll feel different than the right which isn't good for serious hiking. then you have a gun between your upper arm and side which also will be a "rub" spot for serious hiking. I think a shoulder holster is a great winter coat option but for hiking with a back pack you don't want anything on one side and not the other and nothing that'll rub.

Then you have the issue of concealment. While many advocate open carry while backpacking (and it is legal in Missouri) I'm not an advocate of it. I want to blend in and not draw attention. I don't want groups I encounter on the trail or even friends I may hike with to know anything about my carry. In the summer time (and into late fall) I'll hike with only a light T shirt on- I'm not about to wear a cover garment.

So a shoulder holster could be made to work, I could even wear a fanny pack in front but I'm thinking this Snubby chest rig might be a way to ideally carry a small light weigh handgun on the chest completely out of the way of anything else. I do think it'll look a bit odd when in camp and I've dropped the pack but I can explain it away that I carry my essentials in it, a knife, firestarting stuff, TP, etc.

I think it'll be good for this niche. Now if you add it to their version of a day pack with a shared/common shoulder harness I think you'd have a very rough/practical day rig for rougher stuff or even hunting.

Enjoy the last day of the weekend everyone!
    Gideon

Surprised no one has mentioned the Safepacker http://www.thewilderness.com/storepi...arent=171&pg=1
    Looking at buying mine very soon after reading many many reviews.

Sent from my Verizon Galaxy S III using Tapatalk 2

I prefer to OC while I hike. When I take the ALICE for overnighters or all day hikes, I use an oversized tactical holster attached to the shoulder straps, usually over the left collarbone and leave it at a horizontal angle. That way I can crossdraw AND it stays high and dry and in reach when I cross rivers. Thats just my way of doing things. Ive seen lots of good OC methods while hiking.

It's got zippers. Zipper can and will snag.

Look at the Chest Raider pack from Survival Sheath Systems.

Verdict is in!

First, I looked at the Chest Raider system; it's a definite no go; first, my criteria was for concealed carry, not open, I wanted something that stayed on my person, even when I dropped my pack. Zipper pulls aren't a snag concern for backpacking/hiking when they're on your chest; if you're snagging this rig you're pushing through thick cover and that's not typical for backpacking/hiking.

So, back to the snubby. I've used it 3 times now; on a hot late summer hike and two fall hikes. I carried a Kahr P9 with extra mag in it. Here's the results:

Concealability; perfect score; hiked with a new bunch of guys, no one suspected it was for a gun; explained it as a means of carrying essentials like fire starter, map, compass, knife etc. They all liked it for that purpose.

Comfort: nearly perfect; you don't feel it and it doesn't flap around at all; only thing I noticed is that I sweat underneath it. On a 9 mile hike on a hot day it got awfully sweaty under it but I wasn't uncomfortable. At the end of the day I could see a little sweat on the side of the gun toward my chest so it's not "sweat proof". Still not a problem for a few days hiking in summer.

Compatability with a backpack: PERFECT; could use my pack's sternum strap and it didn't interfere. It was nice to be able to take my pack off without having my gun off my body. Since it's a chest rig my pack's waist belt works perfectly.

Size; perfect for a compact gun, keeps the weight down and is a good place for a few essentials; the nnext size up (their runners kit bag) would be great for day hikes or hikes where you're not as concernedwith weight.

Draw; SLOW; you'd have to "anticipate" trouble and get your gun out or pull the zippers apart an inch or two; once you do that you can just grap the corner flap and pull and it opens up smoothly and quickly. I have no experience but imagine that on a hike the risk is either from a crazy person shooting you with a rifle at long range; no handgun is going to help. If not that, they'll try to walk up close to you pretending to be friendly and then turn on you. A gun in a chest rig will be slow to bring to bear so you'd want to unzip the corner as someone approached. Open carry would be faster but again, I'm not interested in OC. A .38 special in the pocket would be ideal for this scenario and frankly, I think a .38 Airweight J frame is the ideal backpacking gun but I'll save that for another thread.

Cost; no more than a regular holster but with a lot of functionality; cheaper than a safebacker and MUCH more convenient to wear.

So at the end of the day I think it's a very good solution for backpackers. If you don't carry a gun it would be an ideal place to carry your compass, map, camera etc. A great piece of gear!!

God Bless
    Gideon

Some places you can't Oc in State Parks. But you can CCW.
    Kifaru Koala

to pricey for me...Gideon if I'm out, I carry in a holster, high ride (on the belt) if on horse back, or slung low (below belt) if walking with a pack (hunting)...I suspect that where you hike OC creates problems for you, not in the western mountains...lots of very good reasons to be armed...

Well Captain; to each their own. Out West I think it would be more practical but in this part of Missouri, backpacking while open carrying with others would make some (if not many) uncomfortable. Then there'd be the drive in and out, stops for gas, etc. By concealing on my person and never having to take it off it's convenient, concealed and accessible. As for cost; most of my good leather holsters cost a bit more so I'm not sure what kind of holsters you're getting for less.

If I was going to OC, I'd probably go with a drop leg too. Sounds awfully good riding a horse out there and out there I'd carry more gun than I do around Missouri!

Enjoy the day
    Gideon

Gideon,
    A year later how do you feel about the Snubby? It sounds like your criteria and mine are aligned and I appreciate your posts and reviews. I've seen and read and compared all the ones others have mentioned, as well. And thanks for the options, everyone... a pretty comprehensive list. But like Gideon, The snubby seems perfect for my needs. They have a new one called the Recon that's currently taking orders. It looks roughly the same with a more military feel using MOLLE bands.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links