Finally a Backpacking Concealed Carry Solution for hiking!!

This is a discussion on Finally a Backpacking Concealed Carry Solution for hiking!! within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I know some of you hike/backpack and it's always been challenging to find a solution to concealed carry when wearing a pack that has an ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Finally a Backpacking Concealed Carry Solution for hiking!!

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar

I know some of you hike/backpack and it's always been challenging to find a solution to concealed carry when wearing a pack that has an integrated waist belt. For serious backpacking, having a gun belt or holster on the waist is heavy and can rub. Add the waist belt of any good pack and it's impossible.

Some have modified fanny packs to ride on the packs waist belt, others have used the Safepacker and strapped it on the waist belt of the pack. Others carry the gun in their pack. Another option is a drop leg hholster and open carry.

I wanted a solution that was lightweight, concealed, would stay on me when I took off my pack for breaks or at camp in the evening. I wanted something to wear around camp without having to pack and bring a long a gun belt an holster.

I think I finally found the solution

It's called the Snubby from a company called Hill People Gear. You can google. this is a very minimalist chest rig/pouch that's designed to be worn under another packs shoulder straps. It can be adjusted so it hangs clear of the sternum strap on most back packs. it's not the fastest draw but it's close at hand and stays on your body if you drop your pack for a break. In the evening around camp you always have it on but don't have to bring a gunbelt or holster.

If you want to carry a larger/smaller gun there are three sizes, the Snubby, the runners kit bag, and the regular kit bag. Not cheap but not really much worse than a Safepacker and much more suitable for true backpacking.

Here's a link: Hill People Gear | Other Projects

All of their gear seems high quality and well thought out. The Snubby is new so it's not even shipping yet. I've ordered mine and expect it'll be a month before I get it. When I do I'll do a full review from a backpacker's perspective.

the only downside is that a chest rig like this might seem odd and draw some questions. I'll explain it's just a rig to keep my essentials on me while backpacking/hiking. I bought the Snubby because it'll fit a kahr K9 or Officer's 1911. I can carry an extra mag and I'll carry a firestarter, emergency blanket, map, compas and my Esee Izula II fixed blade. In fact that's about all you could carry in this small of a bag.
    All the buckles are at the bag so you can adjust it without taking it off. It also comes with a small string/or strap the connects to the bottom so you can carry it lower without it flopping against the chest if you're a trail runner or something.

I've added a few pics as well. There's never a perfect solution but if you've been looking for one for carrying a gun while backpacking with a pack that has a waist belt, this just might be it. And, if you like Maxpedition type day packs for hiking, etc, I think some of the pack options from Hillpeoplegear.com might actually be a better option.

I was/am REALLY excited about this carry solution. I'll always have my gun on me, don't have to have a big heavy gun belt on that'll rub me on long hikes, etc. I know I can open carry in Missouri but don't want the attention. So check it out.

I'll report back this fall after I get mine and use it. Also, I got the snubby because I'm only 5'7" and their other "kit" bags seem to wide for the width of my chest but if you're one of the BIG guys out there with a wide chest, you could use the runners kit or their main kit bag and I think those would be great.

This won't make sense unless you study their site, but you can take their kit (chest) bag, and match it to one of their small packs with an optional shoulder harness they offer and I think you'd have about the perfect day rig.

Enjoy the day
    Gideonsnubby2.jpgSnubby.jpg
    Attached Images
    mprp likes this.

Now that is a nice running/hiking carry solution!! Thank you for posting! Definitely will be getting one.
    Red-Leg

VIP Member
    I no longer backpack but that looks very handy and ambidextrous as well. The smaller pocket in front would be a great place to carry a compass and map as well.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Senior Member Array IAm_Not_Lost's Avatar
    Oh man, I'm sorry that you didn't ask this sooner, Simply Rugged makes one of the most durable, well built chest rigs I have ever seen, built specifically for carrying with a backpack. The one you have is pretty cool too.
    "Brilliant. So now we got a huge guy theory, and a serial crusher theory. Top notch. What's your name?" - Paul Smecker

diamond d custom leather, makes a great chest rig also. one of my favorites when I go in the woods, with the ruger super blackhawk hunter.
    david

Ribz Front Packs work well too. Just leave the top of a pocket unzipped if you think you'll need to present quickly.

Nutnfancy has a good review on it.
    If you're going to carry one weapon, might as well carry two, because as the saying goes, "Two is one, and one is none."

"Liberals can decline or whine, but I will still carry and conceal mine." - Cold Warrior. Excellent quote good sir!

Thanks for the other ideas but I'd already seen those as well. The Ribz front pack looks like a great front pack but it's huge. It would be almost like a day pack and when I backpack I'm trying to go as lightweight as possible. The Snubby is just big enough for a gun on the chest w/maybe a map and compass in the outer pocket with an extra mag.

I've also looked at the different chest rigs out there or "tanker" styled chest holsters. I think those are great if you don't want to conceal becasue you can see the gun or clearly see it's a gun in a holster. One of my criteria was to stay concealed.

There are good options out there if you want a lot of gear up front or don't mind folks know you're carrying a gun. Even Hillpeople's gear has their full recon front kit that can hold a ton of stuff.

What I like about the snubby is it's lightweight, high quality, and nothing more than just what you need to carry a gun and mag without anyone knowing that's what you're carrying.

I liked the Double D stuff and if I lived out West or in Alaska and carried a large revolver or 10mm that'swhat I'd want to carry it in but for missouri backpacking, the snubby seems like the ultimate solution.

We'll see and thanks for the other ideas. I do like that Ribz gear.

Distinguished Member Array sid1's Avatar
    Thanks for the Idea

Well I wouldn't say "Finally a Backpacking Concealed Carry Solution for hiking"....... there are LOTS of good ways to carry concealed while hiking...... kind of like the numbers of ways to carry concealed while walking! But this is a good looking set up. I like their pack even more. But thanks for the info.....

Look how much the guy is sweating in the area of the pack. Also, I'm sorry, but it looks like some sort of man bra
    pocketgroove likes this.

Well Mister B, you've got me laughing now! I have to admit the picture they put on their website isn't the most flattering

In the back there's a mesh panel that holds all the straps toether so that's good and on the front I too wonder how hot it'll be. Most of my backpacking is spring, fall, and winter because I've never enjoyed backpacking in the summer in Missouri. If I do hit the woods in the summer it's usually it's only for fishing for the day in which case the gun goes on the waist as normal.

As for the "man bra" thing, I do think it may look a bit odd; not so much if you're wearing your pack, then it's kind of obvious but when you drop your pack in the evening....well then it might look funny. I don't think it'll be as bad as it looks on this guy but I don't plan on wearing it around town either. I think the guy in the picture is actually one of the owners.

And your right, they have some great looking packs...not the ultralight backpacking for lightweight long distance hiking but good rugged back woods gear that leans more towards the Maxpedition type gear.

Now imagine that chest rig on a smaller guy who's in shape; imagine it carried a bit lower...

Gideon

Thanks for the post. I've been looking for alternate methods of carrying my BUG when hunting (G20SF). My .270 is strapped inside my Cabela's bag which is packed to the max and I need to use the waist strap or it'll be a killer on my back going up the mountain. So this presents a problem in quickly drawing my 20SF from my normal 3:30 carry position should a big bear show up.

In the photo there appears to be a piece of kydex over the trigger guard. I'd imagine that it's strapped inside the bag and disengages on the draw. Does that come w/ the bag or was that something added on? I would definitely want something covering the trigger guard inside of the bag.
    Police Defensive Tactics, Firearms, Carbine Rifle and Taser Instructor
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member
    It is better to have your gun and not need it, than to need it and not have it!
    You cannot choose the conditions for a gunfight, so train in all conditions!

Quote Originally Posted by Gideon View Post
    Well Mister B, you've got me laughing now! I have to admit the picture they put on their website isn't the most flattering

In the back there's a mesh panel that holds all the straps toether so that's good and on the front I too wonder how hot it'll be. Most of my backpacking is spring, fall, and winter because I've never enjoyed backpacking in the summer in Missouri. If I do hit the woods in the summer it's usually it's only for fishing for the day in which case the gun goes on the waist as normal.

As for the "man bra" thing, I do think it may look a bit odd; not so much if you're wearing your pack, then it's kind of obvious but when you drop your pack in the evening....well then it might look funny. I don't think it'll be as bad as it looks on this guy but I don't plan on wearing it around town either. I think the guy in the picture is actually one of the owners.

And your right, they have some great looking packs...not the ultralight backpacking for lightweight long distance hiking but good rugged back woods gear that leans more towards the Maxpedition type gear.

Now imagine that chest rig on a smaller guy who's in shape; imagine it carried a bit lower...

Gideon
    Lol. Ok, fair enough. Good points

why carry concealed while hiking??? why not OC?

I think the straps would start to cause rash under armpits.
    Glock 20sf, Glock 19 gen4, Glock 26 gen3, Colt 1911 Series 80

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links