Kel Tec P3AT Carry Options

This is a discussion on Kel Tec P3AT Carry Options within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I always have a knife, although I'm not into spending tons of money for them, so many of the knives you all have talked about ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Kel Tec P3AT Carry Options

VIP Member
    I always have a knife, although I'm not into spending tons of money for them, so many of the knives you all have talked about are just foreign to me.

Regardless, I carry the knife in my left front pocket, whether I have the 3AT in my right front pocket or something bigger on my waist. Its easy to get to, and can serve an added function. If someone grabs for my gun, after I grab their arm with my right hand I can go for the knife with my left hand. For day to day uses, it isn't difficult to pull it out and change hands with it.

For what its worth, I have a Wal Mart Gerber special!! WOO HOO for me.
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

2. Remove Ads

I carry both knife and pistol because...

I can deploy my knife a lot faster in many circumstances. If a violent assailant appears right on top of me they will get a knife in the eye, throat or wherever else is convenient (as I draw my gun with other hand if possible). In my CQC/pistol classes, the ability to fend off an assailant with one hand while drawing with the other is seen to be a critical skill. Not only that, but some of my instructors have said that, at bad breath distance, especially in the dark, they would be just as happy to have a knife as a pistol. They felt that they could disable an assailant as fast or faster with a knife. At any rate, I always have both.

I am right handed. I only carry my P3AT as primary in a right side pants or jacket pocket if I need very close concealment. When doing so I use a DeSantis Nemesis. My folder is clipped to my left front pocket, or concealed in my left hand. If I can, I will carry a Kahr .40 in IWB holster on the right. In that case my P3AT goes anywhere else there is room, usually in left pants or jacket pocket.

Keith

I carried a knife on my leftside in a belt holster for many years. My job required me to use it a lot. It was out of the way untill I needed it . Have you thought about that?
    You might be a Redneck if: You've ever pruned your trees with a shotgun.

I carry my P3AT in a K&D 2n'1 holster (see pic)

in my right rear pocket.

Carry my knife clipped in my right front pocket.
    GOOD SHOOTING
    ALWAYS PROTECT YOUR VISION AND HEARING
    De gustibus non est disputandem

VIP Member
    Some of you may consider this over board, but here goes.

Right side: front pocket - money clip and keys; back pocket - handkerchief and CRKT folder (knife in pocket clip on outside; IWB - K&D Cochise Defender with SIG P239 9mm

Left side: front pocket - Kel-Tec P32 in K&D Pocket Defender 2 in 1 without anti-print panel installed; back pocket - wallet and extra mag for KT P32 in custom K&D mag carrier; on belt - at 11 cell phone in leather clip on case, at 9 clip on LED flashlight, at 8 extra mag for SIG P239 in K&D clip-on single mag carrier.

I wear Dockers and camp shirts or guayabera shirts. The flashlight is a recent addition. We had a major black out about a month ago and I was working at the library. I keep a flashlight in my desk drawer, but could not find it for anything. Had to wait for front desk worker to come with emergency light that is plugged in to the AC and comes on when power is lost. I added the flashlight on the belt later that week. Since then I have had occasion to use it of various things and by last count had used it 7 times for projects that would have taken much longer or required me to go get a flashlight in order to complete.

I treat the P32 as a BUG even when it is the only gun I am carrying. I am totally familiar with it in my left front pocket and to put it anywhere else would confuse things. I practice with it both left handed and right handed. Unless it would not be feasible I expect I would transfer it to my right hand as quickly as possible should I have to use it. That said I am quite competent with it left handed, but it does not feel perfectly natural to have it in my left hand, so I would transfer to the natural hand if possible.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

dr_cmg,

FWIW Victorinox (the swiss army knife people) have the small key chain knives available now with a small LED light built in. This the "cat's pajama's" for the scenario you described... The knife is always attached to your keys and the light (and in my version) a very small ball point pen... < http://www.victorinox.com/index.cfm?...age=172&lang=E >

Allan

Distinguished Member Array snowdoctor's Avatar
    i too carry a knife...but in my weak hand front pocket...it is my back back up. The firearm needs to be your primary defense instrument. and your extra mag needs to be the back up....then the knife if hand to hand, or you need to cut someone off the knife.
    ----DOC-----

--people ask why I carry, and I show them this picture. I think it says it all.--

NRA Certified Instructor--many disciplines

Dr CMG, I'm impressed with all you can manage to drag around. I think Batman has less on his bat utility belt. How do you keep your pants up my friend ?? That is quite a load to haul.

I 've got my P3AT in rt front in a pocket holster ( Nemesis, KD is on the way soon ), my keys on a clip ( a nice heavy one that would give someone a nice thumping ) on my belt loop rt side, flash light in left front and ,my folding knife is either also clipped to my left front or rt rear. Walllet in back left pocket and cell phone on left side in belt case around 8 or 9. Oh yeah, comb, right rear.

Sorry...Just Saw the Question...

Quote Originally Posted by ront View Post
    Where do you carry your Kershaw, retsupt99?
    I hoope that I am not sounding critical or anything here. I am just trying to find out what others do.
    Baldy60, regretfully, at 48, I am not sure as I qualify for a kid.
    Thanks for you replies guys, I appreciate it!

Ron
    Right front pocked (strong side)...clipped on edge...slips right out and opens with a flick of the finger...easily...

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

get the belt clip and an uncle mikes small auto pocket holster (zero). when in the hoster put the gun in your back right pocket. easy to get to, flows good. the belt clip is the best that i have seen or used.

I carry my P3AT in a Nemesis in the right front pocket when I don't carry my 1911. I don't have a serious knife with a clip...only a small pocket knife in the left front pocket ...(very, very sharp though)
    "Yes, It's Loaded"

Any more opinions out there on the belt clip? Might be the best solution for me but have never tried one before.

I use a pocket holster for my P32 90% of the time and 10% is an IWB in Appendix mode. Works all the time and great little guns.
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

I carry my P3AT in a Nemesis (modified w/leather flap) pocket holster, strong side, right front pocket most of the time. When I'm in my office (medical) seeing patients I carry it in my right rear pocket so that when I side down across from a patient the muzzle is not pointed at them.

Other times when I'm outside in the cold I carry it in my right front jacket pocket.
    KJ

Member: NRA, GOA

"The more you sweat in training, the less you will bleed in battle" - Navy Seals

Senior Member Array torrejon224's Avatar
    I carry a P3at for a backup to my 1911 all the time but hate pocket carry. Spoke with John Ralston at 5 SHot and he is making me a combo 45acp mag pouch/P3at holster for weak side carry. It will be a snap on/off design like the Alessi CQC/S. I'll post some pics when I get it. Since the P3at is extremely light it will probably be no different than carrying two 45 mags!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links