Kel Tec P3AT Carry Options

This is a discussion on Kel Tec P3AT Carry Options within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hi Guys, I have a question I am wondering if you can help me with. I have recently bought the P3 and I love it. ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Kel Tec P3AT Carry Options

Hi Guys,
    I have a question I am wondering if you can help me with.
    I have recently bought the P3 and I love it. I am right handed and I have been carrying the gun in my left pocket with a cut down Uncle Mikes soft holster. Not so good. I have ordered 2 holsters. One is the IWB Mini Defender from K&D Holsters which I am not so patiently waiting for. I know it is going to be nice. I also bought a K-Rat pocket holster from Pale horse holster, which I received yesterday and it is a pretty nice holster. Up until I bought this gun, I carried a Spyderco Para Military knife in my right front pocket. Now, I feel that I must carry the P3 in my right front pocket as I am right handed. I cannot carry the Spyderco then in that pocket as it interferes with getting to the P3. My question then is how do you deal with this? I have tried to carry a Spyderco Native IWB, strong side at about the 4:00 position with mixed results. Should I just start carrying the knives in my left front pocket? I am open to any and all suggestions.

Thanks, Ron
    Shine on...
    S&W M&P 9c
    S&W 9 Shield
    Taurus Raging Bull .454 Casull
    S&W M&P15 Sport;
    Mossberg 590A1

I see some folks who carry a folder in the rear pocket. I carry my p3at in the left pocket as it is usually a backup and I want to keep it in the same spot even when I am carrying just it.

Thanks for the reply Smith10. Are you right or left handed? If right handed, do you just practice left handed with this gun?

Thanks, Ron
    Shine on...
    S&W M&P 9c
    S&W 9 Shield
    S&W M&P15 Sport;
    Mossberg 590A1

When I pocket carry my P-3AT in my right, strong side front pocket. I'll put my knife in the right rear pocket. I also use a K-Rat and absolutely love it!

I have only had the K-Rat for 1 day, but so far, it is a great pocket holster!
    slimjim, I see wha you are saying about putting it in the right rear pocket, but like today, I am wearing cargo pants and putting the knife in that pocket would be pretty slow in retrieving it. Do youo just avoid these type of pants?

Thanks, Ron
    Shine on...
    S&W M&P 9c
    S&W 9 Shield
    S&W M&P15 Sport;
    Mossberg 590A1

Why Not Just Carry The Gun...

in your right pocket and not worry about the knife! I can hear the disagreement already, but if you already have a gun, is a knife REALLY that important? Are you deciding which weapon to use, depending upon the type of attack? Maybe I am missing something here; I carry a gun, a big one (.45). I don't really look for trouble, I don't go to bars (couldn't take a gun there anyway)...if someone attempted to rob or carjack me or mine...I'll only need the Kimber!

Stay alert...stay safe!

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Ront

I am right handed, and do practice with left hand. Often I just draw and transition to my right which is what I would do unless I was in a big hurry.

There are many other reasons to carry a knife other than self defense. Pretty tough to "neatly" open a box with a gun. I don't really carry the knife for self defense. I guess, looking at it that way now, it does not really matter where you place the knife as you really are not trying to get to it in a hurry.
    I wondered about doing that also, Smith10.

Thanks, Ron
    Shine on...
    S&W M&P 9c
    S&W 9 Shield
    S&W M&P15 Sport;
    Mossberg 590A1

Hey kid why don't you get another P3AT and have one for each front pocket. Then you can throw the knife away. Good luck.
    You might be a Redneck if: You've ever pruned your trees with a shotgun.

Good Point...

Quote Originally Posted by ront View Post
    There are many other reasons to carry a knife other than self defense. Pretty tough to "neatly" open a box with a gun. I don't really carry the knife for self defense. I guess, looking at it that way now, it does not really matter where you place the knife as you really are not trying to get to it in a hurry.
    I wondered about doing that also, Smith10.

Thanks, Ron
    ront...
    I do carry a Kershaw 'assisted opening' knife, but I have not thought of it as a defensive weapon...just the .45.

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Where do you carry your Kershaw, retsupt99?
    I hoope that I am not sounding critical or anything here. I am just trying to find out what others do.
    Baldy60, regretfully, at 48, I am not sure as I qualify for a kid.
    Thanks for you replies guys, I appreciate it!

Ron
    Shine on...
    S&W M&P 9c
    S&W 9 Shield
    S&W M&P15 Sport;
    Mossberg 590A1

Quote Originally Posted by ront View Post
    I have only had the K-Rat for 1 day, but so far, it is a great pocket holster!
    slimjim, I see wha you are saying about putting it in the right rear pocket, but like today, I am wearing cargo pants and putting the knife in that pocket would be pretty slow in retrieving it. Do youo just avoid these type of pants?

Thanks, Ron
    Do you put the whole knife inside the rear pocket of your pants? What I do is clip it on the rear pocket like you would a front pocket. Sometimes when I am wearing cargo pants, I clip the knife on that pocket on the thigh. Take care.

It can be a little tough carrying all this "stuff" all the time. At work I pocket carry in my RF pants pocket. I also carry a Leatherman Charge XTI pocket tool clipped somewhere. I was carrying it in my back pocket but it a lot more chubby than a typical pocket knife and after a few months of working with it here I found I was getting pain down my right leg. It took me a while to figure it out but I moved the Leatherman and the pain started to go away. It much have been sitting over a nerve or something. Now I`m carrying it in my LF pocket which stinks because I`m right handed. I don`t wear a belt at work and a pouch would tend to get in the way so I dunno what the solution`s gonna be. Maybe go back to a slim pocket knife but that Leatherman is so darn handy I don`t want to be without it anymore.... How about a pocket holster that carries both the gun AND the Leatherman? Hmmm.... Marcus

I carry my Kel-Tec P-3AT in one of two ways:

1. In my right front pocket, holstered with a kydex pocket holster from Grandfather Oak Custom Carry. I like it a lot, it prints a little.
    2. With the belt clip, clipped to my strong side and covered with an untucked shirt.
    Right makes might - Abraham Lincoln

I'm right-handed, so I always carry my P3-AT in my right front pocket. I use a pocket holster with a flat panel which makes it look like a wallet, yet allows me to slip my hand beside to get a full grip. Thin, rough-out leather so it won't come out of the pocket with the gun. It's the best rig I've found yet for pocket carry. Since I usually wear cargo pants, I put the extra mag in my left cargo pocket. My current carry knife is an Uzi Defender folder, which I clip inside the right cargo pocket. Makes it pretty accessible, yet unobtrusive.

My primary carry is a Kimber Ultra CDP II, usually carried IWB in a Tucker Answer. In a few circumstances, it's not practical to carry the primary, but my Kel Tec is a pretty much go-anywhere weapon.
    Cheers,
    Rod
    "We're paratroopers. We're supposed to be surrounded!" Dick Winters

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links