Upgrading my ccw gear...

This is a discussion on Upgrading my ccw gear... within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Ok, so currently I have a flimsy leather belt that is holding my M&P .40 in a desantis pro stealth (?) holster. It has the ...

Thread: Upgrading my ccw gear...

Upgrading my ccw gear...

Ok, so currently I have a flimsy leather belt that is holding my M&P .40 in a desantis pro stealth (?) holster. It has the ability to carry an extra mag, which I do. Currently I am trying to lose some weight, but from end of leather where my buckle attaches to my current hole I use in the belt, it measures 43". I do have some extra room with that, maybe an inch? Maybe two inches at most?

I want to upgrade to a real carry rig, and leave the entry level behind. I am currently looking at the Wilderness easy-fit original instructor belt in large. This ranges from 36"-41". I would also like to pick up a white hat maxtuck holster. I thought about going up to the XL for the belt, but if I lose the weight I want, the belt wont fit. The large range is what I would like to be in...

I want to make sure I am completely concealed. I don't want anyone to get the idea I have something on. So this is where my questions come in.

Giving that I have extra room in the belt size, and I also have a clip next to my holster, I am guessing that the easy fit belt from wilderness (36-41") should be able to fit, even with the maxtuck holster. Thoughts on this?

Also, I know I want to carry an extra mag, or two if I can. Is this something I should also try to get a iwb magazine pouch for, or should I go owb? Please remember that I am looking for complete concealment.

Thanks everyone for helping the poor newb.

2. Remove Ads

So I just went back and checked on their belt sizing instructions. They want the measurement from the end of the buckle where it latches, not when the buckle attaches. I remeasured, and adding an extra 1/2", I am now at 45". This puts me at the edge of an XL. So with the extra 1/2" on top of the inch or so play I already have, could I get away with a iwb magazine holster? Should I?

XL belt fits 40"-45"....

VIP Member
    You want to go with the XL belt, no question. If you end up losing weight and needing to move down a size it won't be difficult to sell the belt and recoup some of your cost. If you go with the L belt it may not fit at all right now, and thus wouldn't do you any good.

You probably could stick the IWB mag holder in but I'd hold off and make sure that the holster you're buying doesn't end up taking up the extra room itself. It is always trial and error with these things, so I suggest making one change at a time. That way you don't invest in gear you won't be able to use, and if the system becomes unworkable or too uncomfortable there's no question where the problem is... it will always be with the last change you made.
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

Thanks for the info. I will get the XL belt, and the holster, and see how that fits first. Just curious, does iwb mag holsters take up a lot of room? Is there one brand thats better than the other in that department?

Also, if I don't have the room, is getting a mag pouch with a lid/flap to telling that I am carrying extra ammo for something?

CJM
    I've worn IWB holsters in the past, but never an IWB mag carrier. I just don't like that much stuff shoved inside my pants. There are plenty of concealable OWB mag carriers out there, sometimes a multitool sheath is a good fit for a spare mag.

Links