Appendix carry advice

This is a discussion on Appendix carry advice within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Fricke holsters are top notch. You might want to give the BladeTech Nano a look. Whatever holster you chose, be sure the muzzle does not ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Appendix carry advice

Fricke holsters are top notch.

You might want to give the BladeTech Nano a look. Whatever holster you chose, be sure the muzzle does not extend past the bottom of the holster.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by rick21 View Post
    Fricke holsters are top notch.

You might want to give the BladeTech Nano a look. Whatever holster you chose, be sure the muzzle does not extend past the bottom of the holster.
    What issues can come from an exposed muzzle?

Quote Originally Posted by Derek33 View Post
    What issues can come from an exposed muzzle?
    If the holster isn't tensioned properly (this can be a problem with cheaper holsters) and the muzzle contacts the leg when sitting, it can slightly push the the pistol out of the holster. This is minor and probably wouldn't prove to a problem, provided you notice it. A less likely but more dangerous situation could be a violent encounter that could dislodge the pistol causing it fall from the holster.

I have carried AIWB for 5 years and it's pluses far outweigh any minuses.

My list of highly recommended appendix holsters are:

1. JM Custom Kydex - this is what I currently use

2. Custom Carry Concepts (CCC) Shaggy - I had one for a Glock 19, but wanted one for a G17 so it could fit any size 9mm Glock

3. The Keeper - I have no experience with this holster, but there are some outstanding reviews of this holster by dedicated appendix carriers. It is the first holster that I had seen with the use of foam wedges to help fit the holster to the carrier. I now use a foam wedge on my JM holster.

4. Dale Fricke Archangel - this was my first purposely built AIWB holster I bought back in 2007. It worked well for me during that time, but it is a dated design that has no built in grip tucking ability (some type of wedge design to tuck the grip of the gun into your stomach)

Ones I have used which I disliked:

1. C&D Pardus AIWB holster(older design, they now have what is called the PIC which I have never used) - it did not take me long to figure out I did not like this holster because of it's size.

2. Comp-Tac Neutral Cant MTAC - Back when I had this holster, I just didn't know what I needed to know about dedicated AIWB carry everyday. The footprint is WAY too big and one handed reholstering can be difficult which can be dangerous.

3. Comp-Tac 2 O'clock - Looked like it was going to work great, but in the end it was very uncomfortable and printed with compact to duty sized guns.

4. BladeTech IWB adjustable cant holster - Looked like it was going to work, but it carried the gun to high on the belt line and wanted to flop out over my belt and printed like crazy.

Some "must have" features on a AIWB holster for me to order and use are:
    1. Reinforced mouth opening for safe SLOW re-holstering.
    1. Wedge design for tucking the grip into the body.(this is very important when using full size guns for minimum printing)
    2. Ride height on the belt must be high enough to be able to get a full grip right from the start (no prying the gun up off the belt, then acquiring a good solid grip).
    3. I have become partial to a full Kydex loop attachment point because of less movement on the belt (this can make it more difficult to straddle a belt loop so you can carry the holster in your favorite spot with some pants)
    4. Ability to slip the gun into the holster backwards and be held there to help facilitate a weak hand only reload.
    5. Length of the holster below the belt line must be long for me even if I am buying it for a compact or subcompact gun. My body type can tolerate a gun with a 5 inch barrel and I have found that the length helps stabilize the gun much better than a holster that is short in length.
    6. Ideally, the holster will not have a lot of extra material under the trigger guard. (That material usually rubs your leg and groin area when seated) This is not a issue if you wear the holster very close to the 12 O'clock position, but I tend to wear mine closer to 1:30.

Good luck with your search.

Attached Images
    GeorgiaCarry.org
    GPDO SAF NRA
    Let Not My Last Thought Be, If Only I Had My Gun.

I need help finding which appendix holster is right for me.

I have never carried AIWB but I want to start.

I currently have a full size MP9. I have been walking around the house with it talked in my belt without a holster just to see if I can conceal it. The grip may be a little long so I may look into an MP9c.

Anyway. I need some advice on holsters.

Im interested in kydex. Id like it to ride low on my belt. I would prefer if the belt clip was not on top of the holster, rather to the side.

Right now the comp tac 2 oclock is all i can find and its right around peak of my price range.

Thanks
    Derek
    I have a question. Please understand I AM NOT trying to be rude or insulting to you. Why would you carry a handgun pointing directly at your femoral artery? This clearly violates a basic tenant of the four rules of firearms safety. I fail to see the logic in this.
    David
    Only two defining forces have ever died for you.....
    1. Jesus Christ.
    2. The American Soldier, Sailor, Airman, Marine, and Coast Guardsman.
    One died for your soul, the other for your freedom!

1Cross+3Nails=4Given

dawei,
    Appendix carry has been around for a long time, and there have been hundreds of threads about appendix carry. The OP asked for some suggestions on carry holsters built for that purpose, and I think has has been given several good choices and advice in this thread.

You don't like appendix carry.......................we get that. But why do you have to come into this thread and troll for a explanation as to why the OP wants to start carrying appendix. I thought we were better than this at DefensivCarry.com.
    GeorgiaCarry.org
    GPDO SAF NRA
    Let Not My Last Thought Be, If Only I Had My Gun.

Quote Originally Posted by tmoore912 View Post
    dawei,
    Appendix carry has been around for a long time, and there have been hundreds of threads about appendix carry. The OP asked for some suggestions on carry holsters built for that purpose, and I think has has been given several good choices and advice in this thread.

You don't like appendix carry.......................we get that. But why do you have to come into this thread and troll for a explanation as to why the OP wants to start carrying appendix. I thought we were better than this at DefensivCarry.com.
    Two reasons..........
    • I want to understand why someone would choose appendix carry.
    • To point out that such a method of carry poses a situation that the original poster might not have considered or thought about.
    David
    Only two defining forces have ever died for you.....
    1. Jesus Christ.
    2. The American Soldier, Sailor, Airman, Marine, and Coast Guardsman.
    One died for your soul, the other for your freedom!

1Cross+3Nails=4Given

Quote Originally Posted by dawei View Post
    I have a question. Please understand I AM NOT trying to be rude or insulting to you. Why would you carry a handgun pointing directly at your femoral artery? This clearly violates a basic tenant of the four rules of firearms safety. I fail to see the logic in this.
    I can understand your point and agree with you. Some people like the idea of carrying in that position and it is fast draw but like you is it worth the risk in stressful situation? I don't say nothing because it's not me that is going to be the recipient of a ND

to the OP; cheaper than dirt has ACE CASE holsters that are better than nylon for 10 bucks. I have bought 3 different ones

Mr. Softy for my 23. I did not like the belt clip so I changed it. I normally buy good holsters but for IWBA I also carry a j-frame or a G27 in a cheap Unkle Mikes with a Wilderness belt. very comfortable and the fabric is waterproof so no sweat gets on the gun.

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder71 View Post
    Garret Industries, check them out.
    Ditto, I'm currently trying out one of their tuckable IWB holsters as an appendix rig, so far so good.

Thanks for the help guys.

I decided to pick up a cheap nylon holster that i plan to use over the next few weeks. If i truely love aiwb then i will spend the money on one of the holsters suggested.
    Beware the cheap nylon holsters, the price is always right but they don't hold up too well.

Two reasons..........
    • I want to understand why someone would choose appendix carry.
    • To point out that such a method of carry poses a situation that the original poster might not have considered or thought about.
    Pending on mode of carry, your muzzle is always going to cover something, I've seen more people muzzle themselves with OWB and IWB holsters at 3 o'clock than any other kind. A horizontal shoulder holster will be pointing at anyone behind you. When the gun is not being held, in my opinion it's not actively being pointed on one's person, this just leaves drawing and re-holstering as the times when the gun may be pointed at oneself, again I've seen some pretty hairy draws and reholstering where "safer" holsters were used.

The pros of appendix carry are pretty numerous.
    Better concealment under certain garments
    I can conceal the same gun much better under a polo shirt using AIWB rather than a conventional IWB
    When using a button up shirt for cover garment I can button the front and still have good access without having to worry about wind sweeping my garment open

For some thinner guys, it may be easier to conceal a gun using AIWB rather than IWB.

The firearm is much easier to access when seated, say when in a movie theater or car etc.

In a retention scenario, it's easier to maintain control a gun closer to your center line

It's FAST! I've seen lots of examples of instructors demo'ing how fast AIWB is but I never really knew how fast it was until on the firing line in class where a lot of the
    students were carrying AIWB and they were getting shots fired off before I was, while I'm not exactly lightning fast, I'm no slouch either.

The gun is easier to access with your support hand should your primary hand be disabled

Some things about AWIB...

The muzzle IS right over a very sensitive area, and while many others have managed to shoot themselves just fine with 3o'clock carry, the bullet usually exits the leg without "much" damage, that is probably not going to be the case with AIWB, this is why many prefer hammer fired guns, or guns with manual safeties for AIWB carry. There's a little more comfort in being able to have your thumb over the hammer and prevent a DA shot from being able to occur, ditto with thumb safety/grip safety equipped pistol. This is one mode of carry where XDs, M&Ps with thumb safeties etc may be be advantageous.

The most important thing with AIWB is finger discipline, if you do not have solid, safe gun handling, AIWB is not for you.

Do lots and lots of dry practice with the rig before going "hot" with it.

Don't go cheap on holsters, there's a for sale section on this forum and you can usually get your money back on a holster if it doesn't work out for you.
    On the same note, it may take anywhere from 1-5 holsters before you find something you like.

I like holsters that have secure loops, either snap loops or a solid loop.

So far I'm really liking the Tuckable IWB from Garrett Industries and was previously looking at offerings from Desibens Gunleather. If not for the addition of the Deltapoint on my P30, I'd probably be waiting on a rig from Rhome.

You state appendix carry clearly violates a basic tenant of firearms safety.
    Always point the muzzle in a safe direction. About one third of all hunting incidents are self inflicted injuries. That means the muzzle was pointed at some part of the hunter’s body. A safe direction is a direction where the bullet will travel and harm no one in the event of an unwanted discharge. There are no accidental discharges with firearms, only unwanted discharges.

In reality carrying a handgun/revolver in just about every position will clearly violate the "harm no one" rule. Carrying appendix is not something that is a new idea. I am sure many have carried that way for years and are still alive to talk about it. To each his own.
    "One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation."
    --Thomas B. Reed, American Attorney

Second Amendment -- Established December 15, 1791 and slowly eroded ever since What happened to "..... shall not be infringed."

The same person with 'sketchy' trigger discipline will have it whether its AIWB or OWB 3o'clock, or out of the duty holster at the range, or making a utube video, or.............................................

dan
    CJM likes this.

CJM
    No matter where you carry, you have a gun pointed at something you wouldn't want to shoot, and appendix carry does not violate the "safety" rules anymore than any other position on the body.

Some info on appendix carry:

Appendix Carry - Comfortable, Concealable, Quickest

Sent from my Galaxy S2
    JD, tmoore912 and tcox4freedom like this.
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by zacii View Post
    Some info on appendix carry:

Appendix Carry - Comfortable, Concealable, Quickest

Sent from my Galaxy S2
    And some more for those that get turned off by anything related to Suarez.

Appendix Carry…Thousands of Thugs Can’t be Wrong! | Active Response Training

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links