Appendix carry advice

This is a discussion on Appendix carry advice within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; And more: AIWB (Appendix Carry)...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Appendix carry advice

JD, zacii and tcox4freedom like this.
    GeorgiaCarry.org
    GPDO SAF NRA
    Let Not My Last Thought Be, If Only I Had My Gun.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by tmoore912 View Post
    That link is an excellent resource for AIWB carry, and holsters

It was very useful in my own journey to appendix carry
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

I tried AIWB carry for the first time today. I carried a Smith and wesson model 39-2 (4 inch barrel) in A bianchi 100 professional leather holster with high back and a buttoned up shirt. I was in the car and in Walmart for several hours with my wife (she is a slow shopper). Nobody noticed and it was the most comfortable carry I have tried. I normally cary IWB at four o'clock position and sometimes OWB with a blackhawk leather CQC. I think I will carry AIWB using my Bianchi holster more often.

I am on my fourth one, and the one I am currently using their manufacturer told me it cannot be carried appendix but I have found it to be the most comfortable appendix holster I have used yet it is the cross breed , I even tried one made specifically for appendix and I like the cross breed better, I carry between 2 and 230. glock 19

tcox4freedom likes this.
    "One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation."
    --Thomas B. Reed, American Attorney

Second Amendment -- Established December 15, 1791 and slowly eroded ever since What happened to "..... shall not be infringed."

I recently made the switch to appendix carry with a J Frame. I tried it a couple of times with my G26 but I have a mental barrier of carrying a semi auto appendix. I'm still searching for the perfect holster. I'd like to find a straight drop with an offset belt clip as the ones I keep finding the belt clip sits on the revolvers cylinder and creates a little extra bulk.

Distinguished Member Array tcox4freedom's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Derek33 View Post
    Thanks for the help guys.

I decided to pick up a cheap nylon holster that i plan to use over the next few weeks. If i truely love aiwb then i will spend the money on one of the holsters suggested.
    My preferred AIWB is a custom Crossbreed Supertuck Deluxe that I trimmed down and put velcro clips on. But, I do use a cheap grab & go Blackhawk or UM's as well.

One thing to be aware of when it comes to cheap nylon holsters is the tendency to ride up & out of your waistband. To combat this problem I placed a piece of Velcro on the outside of the clip and put Velcro on my belts. Now I can prevent or at least greatly curtail the "riding" up & out issue with nylon holsters. It also allows me to adjust cant & ride height.

Another problem is going to the john & holstering. If you use a nylon holster, DO NOT try to holster while inside the waistband. You need to place the firearm in the holster first then put the holster in place. Whenever I go to the restroom & have to remove my firearm, I remove the holster & firearm as ONE single unit. Then, I place the whole thing back in place as one unit when I'm done. (This helps prevent your booger hook from accidentally hitting the bang switch.)

-

Soft sided nylon, leather or thin Kydex holsters with no reinforced mouth openings are not ideal for appendix carry if you practice and train with many repetitions.

I now prefer using a appendix holster that has a "extra tuck" feature on it or attached to it. The wedge at the bottom of the holster creating the "extra tuck" can be a bulge made into the Kydex molding or can be a attached foam wedge. This feature helps in several ways. It pushes the bottom of the holster further off the body and causes the top of the gun to be tucked into the stomach just a little more than usual. It also helps facilitate a safer re-holster by having the holster bottom pointed off your body while sliding the gun back in the holster.

Examples of "extra tuck" features. These are AIWB holsters made by JM Custom Kydex.

Dale Fricke Archangel with foam wedge attached at the bottom.

Further discusson about this issue here: http://pistol-forum.com/showthread.p...ll=1#post87911
    tcox4freedom likes this.
    GeorgiaCarry.org
    GPDO SAF NRA
    Let Not My Last Thought Be, If Only I Had My Gun.

Quote Originally Posted by M1380 View Post
    I recently made the switch to appendix carry with a J Frame. I tried it a couple of times with my G26 but I have a mental barrier of carrying a semi auto appendix. I'm still searching for the perfect holster. I'd like to find a straight drop with an offset belt clip as the ones I keep finding the belt clip sits on the revolvers cylinder and creates a little extra bulk.
    You might want to take a look at these holsters... Inexpensive but serve the purpose...... Also for the cost it doesn't to try them(money wise)... I am using there tuckable one for my S&W 642 J frame appendix carry and works fine for me..........
    https://acecase.com/mix-match-holste...ludes-s-h.html
    "One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation."
    --Thomas B. Reed, American Attorney

Second Amendment -- Established December 15, 1791 and slowly eroded ever since What happened to "..... shall not be infringed."

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links