Pocket Carry Tips?

This is a discussion on Pocket Carry Tips? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I cary the LCP in a cheap pocket holster that I got at Wal-mart. It was cheap but it works very well. I got the ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Pocket Carry Tips?

I cary the LCP in a cheap pocket holster that I got at Wal-mart. It was cheap but it works very well. I got the holster after puting my hand in my pocket and finding the gun had turned muzzle up and my hand was on the muzzle.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    I've pocket carried pretty much daily since LCPs came out. Granted its not the best defense gun, but it works well for me. No one has ever mentioned they've seen it. I have mine in a cheap uncle mikes pocket holster. It's an added layer of safety (trigger covered) and it keeps the gun oriented correctly.

All pockets are not the same. Cargo pants have good pockets, FWIW I rarely use the cargo leg pockets.

BTW a pocket is a dead-end place which typically collects lint, grime, dust, etc, at least it is for me. Naturally those factors can adversely affect the function of your gun. Keep it clean.
    gottabkiddin likes this.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Quote Originally Posted by ppkheat View Post
    I've pocket carried pretty much daily since LCPs came out. Granted its not the best defense gun, but it works well for me. No one has ever mentioned they've seen it. I have mine in a cheap uncle mikes pocket holster. It's an added layer of safety (trigger covered) and it keeps the gun oriented correctly.All pockets are not the same. Cargo pants have good pockets, FWIW I rarely use the cargo leg pockets.BTW a pocket is a dead-end place which typically collects lint, grime, dust, etc, at least it is for me. Naturally those factors can adversely affect the function of your gun. Keep it clean.

+1, I agree... Not to mention that in certain situations the pocket draw can be one of the fastest presentations when a firearm might be needed. It's not unusual to see someone standing in a line with a hand in their pocket. As for the guy with his hand in his pocket; he can have a full grip on his pistol, or revolver and be ready to defend himself easily within a second, or so.

I like pocket carry and do it daily with a small BUG. IMO, it's by far the most comfortable way to carry a firearm, and to me comfort equates to always on me and ready if needed.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

I've noticed a lot of pocket holsters have openings at the end for the barrel. Seems to me like that would allow lint and debris to accumulate in the barrel.

The revered and oft-mentioned DeSantis Nemesis has an opening that leaves the barrel exposed to the pocket and I'm not interested in that. I want my LCP to remain completely covered, clean, and lint- and particle-free while in my pocket.

Can anyone recommend a holster for an LCP that is closed on the end and fits those criteria?

Thanks

10thmtn made some good suggests, based on his carry specifics.

General tips, considerations:

• Have a decent holster, to ensure your firearm is right-side up and positioned for use. It's less than useless if you can't get at the grip in a time of need, let alone potentially very dangerous.

• Ensure your pockets are of sufficient shape/size to conceal it. Not all cargo/larger pockets are made the same, nor are all effective. If necessary, have your pockets reworked/sized.

• Strip to a bare minimum (and size) the items you absolutely must shove in the pockets, particularly if at the same level as the holstered gun.

• Ensure items you'll need quick access to are in quick-access positions, not buried deep inside some secondary pocket far from easy reach.

• Decide what can be carried better on a belt attachment ... such as a knife, light, phone. Can be carried horizontally or vertically, depending on space/concealment considerations. Personally, I find horizontal carry of some such items to be more comfortable and more accessible. Belt-carried items, particularly if heavier, won't bang around as you walk.

• Puny cell phone. The monster-sized ones are tougher to carry along with everything else, probably one of their worst features.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by Clodbert View Post
    I've noticed a lot of pocket holsters have openings at the end for the barrel. Seems to me like that would allow lint and debris to accumulate in the barrel.

The revered and oft-mentioned DeSantis Nemesis has an opening that leaves the barrel exposed to the pocket and I'm not interested in that. I want my LCP to remain completely covered, clean, and lint- and particle-free while in my pocket.

Can anyone recommend a holster for an LCP that is closed on the end and fits those criteria?

Thanks
    A bit of lint in the barrel is no big deal. Given that the LCP is open at the rear of the slide (for the hammer), you will need to at least blow out the lint in there every so often. I tear down my carry guns monthly and give them a quick cleaning, if they have not been to the range that month. I check the opening at the rear of the LCP's slide daily, and blow the lint out if there is any in there. Doing this, I've never had an issue with my LCPs at the range - shooting them straight from my pocket.

ccw9mm - Agree on the cell phone. I remember not too long ago where the craze was smaller and smaller phones - some had keys I could barely use.

Now phones are getting so large, they resemble mini "boom boxes" like the guys used to carry on their shoulders, back in the day. Give me a break...!
    Last edited by 10thmtn; August 11th, 2012 at 11:52 AM. Reason: add comment
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links