Pocket Carry Tips?

This is a discussion on Pocket Carry Tips? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've been experimenting with different carry methods. IWB 3:00, 3:30, appendix, SOB... etc... haven't been able to find anything that didn't have some kind of ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Pocket Carry Tips?

Pocket Carry Tips?

I've been experimenting with different carry methods. IWB 3:00, 3:30, appendix, SOB... etc... haven't been able to find anything that didn't have some kind of painful disadvantage... I'm carrying a Ruger LC9, and the texture on the stock digs into my skin something fierce in some areas, meanwhile other methods make it impossible to sit comfortably in my car (Mini Cooper... and I'm 6'1"). Finally thought I'd try pocket carry - and I love it! With the smaller magazine bottom installed, it fits perfectly in my pocket. It's not visible, and it's relatively easy to draw and present. I especially like the fact that I can put my hand in my pocket casually if my "spidey sense" is tingling, and know that if it's needed, my hand is already on it and ready to go. The LC9 is small enough that even with my pocket holster, it actually makes less of a bulge than my wallet. I can even flip the safety while it's in my pocket if needed.

So all that said, I was wondering if anyone had any tips for pocket carry in general, or the LC9 in specific. Some issues I do have are:

I know I probably shouldn't have anything else (Keys, cell phone, etc) in the pocket with the gun. This pocket WAS where I carried my keys and my knife, so now I'm at a loss for what I should do with the other things. What do you all do? I could maybe fit my keys OR cell phone in with my wallet, but probably not both and my knife. Currently, I'm putting my keys into a side cell phone pocket (cargo pants) where I used to put my cell phone. That means my cell phone is going in my back pocket. It's an iPhone, which tends to be easily cracked if you sit on it wrong, so I'd really rather not do this. My knife? Well, currently, it's being left at home. I'd also prefer not to use a cell phone belt case. Any thoughts?

2. Remove Ads

Sounds like you have it figured out pretty well already. I primarily pocket carry and just had to learn to adjust to having one pocket solely devoted to carrying a gun. Keys, lighters, phones etc will find a place to go.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

I have 2 that I pocket carry occasionally, a LC9 and a S&W BG380. I don't pocket carry very often but when I do I make sure that the pocket I use is dedicated to nothing but the gun. The BG380 is easier to pocket carry than the LC9 but both work very well. Cargo pants are definitely easier to work with than jeans unless the jeans are reasonably loose. The biggest thing is to train, train, train!

DC
    I too like the advantage when pocket carrying...hand on the gun in any situation while looking natural. As for what to do with keys, use a mini carabiner and clip them to a belt loop. For the knife you could get a Remora single mag holder. I bought a pair of them not long ago and use them for mags, speed strips & knife when needed. The phone would get priority in the weak side pocket. When I carry my full size 9mm, I usually carry a Bianchi OWB dual mag holder and use it for one mag and a light.

I recently purchased an LC9 and am finishing up the breaking in period. Today I received my Mika holster, squared bottom for pocket carry. My usual pocket carry is a BG380 also in a Mika, rounded and squared, depending on type of pants pocket. My pocket carry is as follows: Strong side front, gun. Weak side front, keys and knife. Strong side back, wallet. Weak side back, cell phone. I liked the suggestion earlier of clipping the keys on a belt loop and will try this out. Stay safe.

Definitely use a pocket holster even with nothing else but pocket lint in your pocket. Leave phone where it was, keys in weak side pocket (leaves gun hand open when approaching car). I recently read on DC about clipping a knife in one's waistband behind the belt buckle and am liking it.
    revldm likes this.

I have a pocket carry tip....don't....pocket are for keys and cell phones.

Distinguished Member Array Once's Avatar
    I own a lot of cargo shorts.
    Carry the LCR in a Nemisis and I agree w/DC you look like you're just standing there with your hands in your pockets.
    Draws fast too.

Pocket Carry is great for the element of surprise. I will carry a S&W 642 in a sticky Uncle Mike's holster

I carry two pocket guns, so I have a NY reload and ambidextrous access. Took some figuring for all the other stuff, but here is what works for me:

Keys on a carabiner on a belt loop

Wallet (BigSkinny - very thin) in rt rear

Knife clipped in left rear

Phone on left side in a belt phone holster

Small flashlight clipped on the top flap of the phone holster

Spare mag and speed loader in a cargo pocket (in a custom Remora pocket holster)

Quik clot dressing in the other cargo pocket

Hope this helps!
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

how to spot a hidden hand gun

How to Spot a Hidden Handgun | Visual.ly

No experience yet with pocket carry but get an otter box for your iPhone. I have one for my old 3GS and it has saved it more than I care to admit!! That might allow you to carry your phone in the back pocket.
    Mark

I too pocket carry when I'm not wearing a lose shirt. I have no problems with it and don't see ow its not safe.
    Glock 20sf, Glock 19 gen4, Glock 26 gen3, Colt 1911 Series 80

i pocket carry my lcp and lcr daily,works best for me since i like loose fitting clothes..as for pocket holsters,give the Desantis Nemesis a try,they work great and are not very expensive.just keep everything else out of your pocket and make sure your pockets are deep enough to fully conceal your lc9

I've tried every carry position OWB,IWB,1 o'clock,3 o'clock,4 o'clock etc...and pocket carrying is way more comfortable for me.I am also concerned with printing.When carring IWB or OWB if you lean forward or backward or even if the wind blows you will print.
    The main reason I pocket carry is conveinence,just shove it in and go.I've pocket carryed a G26 for about two years now and have never noticed anyone looking at my pocket.I can't say the same for when I carryed IWB.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links