Report on blackhawck's Serpa CQC carbon fiber Level II retention holster

This is a discussion on Report on blackhawck's Serpa CQC carbon fiber Level II retention holster within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I recently bought a Blackhawk CQC holster for my Taurus PT 24/7 Pro DS .40 Cal. So far I am more than pleased with it ...

Thread: Report on blackhawck's Serpa CQC carbon fiber Level II retention holster

Report on blackhawck's Serpa CQC carbon fiber Level II retention holster

I recently bought a Blackhawk CQC holster for my Taurus PT 24/7 Pro DS .40 Cal. So far I am more than pleased with it with the exception that it's fairly rough on the finish of the pistol. I should mention that this holster is not really made for concealability & in my opinion, even though there are various cant settings, it should probably be kept completely upright for maximum potential. Here are the various features & my rating from 1-5 for each.

-Carbon Fiber construction- very tough, very weather resistant, does not shrink or expand in extreme heat or extreme cold, rough on the finish of the weapon. Overall: 4

-Passive Retention- Adjustable screw, very solid retention even without the active retention, fully acceptable in my opinion. Overall: 4

-Active Retention- Level 2, push button on the side, finger naturally falls on it when taking the master grip, very secure impossible to pull out with one hand probably for two as well. This all depends of course if the button is not pushed, otherwise easy to pull out when done the right way. Overall: 4

*Note* people have reported having ND's from having their finger slipping into the trigger guard after pulling the weapon. In all the cases I have been able to find out about, they were at gun ranges & they were speed draws for the best time. I honestly feel this is user error. If the master grip is strictly adhered too, the finger will not end up in the trigger guard or at least not on the trigger. Further, the pistol will not go off if the safety functions & is on when the draw is made. I asses the problems with it as being contributed to jackassery & improper use. Train like you fight, fight like you train. Also as I mentioned above, I believe the cant should stay completely upright (or nearly so) so that the finger aligns with the button properly. Perhaps if you keep it in the crossdraw or behind the strong side hip bone in a full cant it could be used properly.

-Belt/paddle attachment- I prefer the belt attachment & it is solid & adjustable.The paddle is also adjustable & is supposed to be easy to take off & put on. I haven't used the paddle much but it is not as easy to take off as one might gather from the instructions. On a positive note this could actually be a good thing if someone tried to yank it off your belt but either of them hold fast to the the belt/pants. Overall: 5 belt/ 4 paddle

YMMV on this rig but I like it alot.
    Last edited by USPatriot; August 15th, 2012 at 07:01 PM. Reason: typos

2. Remove Ads

Great review!

I have this holster for my Springfield XDm 4.5" .45. I picked it up for open carrying, and accidentally picked up the version for the XD subcompact - but it fits just fine with a bit of the slide sticking out the bottom.

I really like the quick release retention system on this, very secure yet very easy to draw when needed.

I found that a forward cant of "one hole" makes it more comfortable for me when sitting (6'1" 245lb guy) - so much so that I actually fell asleep on the couch wearing it the first day!

I prefer the paddle attachment, because I find that the belt attachment is harder to easily get adjusted to right where I want it. The downside is that it is very hard to quickly remove the paddle. The hook on the "in the pants" part of the paddle grips on VERY well, and requires 2 hands and almost dropping my pants to unhook.

Anyway - I would rate it about the same, and definitely recommend it!

Links