AIWB holster question????

This is a discussion on AIWB holster question???? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; hey guys, im new to the forum so first and foremost hello! im waiting on my concealed carry permit to go through here in OK ...

hey guys, im new to the forum so first and foremost hello! im waiting on my concealed carry permit to go through here in OK and while i'm waiting i have been considering many different types of holsters. i currently own a sig sauer p228 that i love and i will soon be purchasing a m&p shield or 9mm compact for a warmer weather carry gun. last summer my dad and i attended a class at the sig sauer academy and our instructor recommended the raven concealment appendix carry rig. i did some research on AIWB and decided to give it a try. i carry the gun around the house in this holster from time to time and im still not sold on it. here is my issue: when i carry the gun (UNLOADED) simply in my waistband in the 1 o'clock position, i love it. i find it to be very concealable and comfortable. but, i obviously would never carry a loaded gun this way. the trigger is not covered and there is no retention. when i put on the ACR holster, the retention and safety are great, but i lose some concealability and lots of comfort. the gun is not small to begin with, and when i pair it with that holster, it just seems like too much bulk. so im not sure what to do! i like AIWB, but im not sure what other holsters to try. i already feel that i have wasted $100 on this holster, i dont feel like spending hundreds more looking at holsters. anyone have any recommendations? anyone ever AIWB'ed with a belly band? im considering scratching the whole idea and purchasing a crossbreed-type holster too. any help would be much appreciated, thanks guys

Everybody goes through a lot of different holsters, regardless of carry position, because every body is so different.

Do a search on appendix carry, here on the forum, and you'll find almost endless resources regarding holsters, methods, etc.

I prefer appendix myself and use a few different holsters.

A Dale Fricke Archangel, a High Noon Public Secret, High Noon Mr. Softy, and a clipless Remora.

Don't overlook a quality belt. You can have the best holsters on the market, but without a decent belt it's only half of the equation.

Check out the links in this thread: Appendix carry advice

Sent from my Galaxy S2
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

Dale Fricke is the only AIWB I have found that works for me. I have tried them all to date excepting Raven Concealment Systems ACR.

Got to dress around the gun. Baggy belly hiding shirts that a lot of guys have to wear to cover up their pot bellies or post college-days spread formation work great.

That and a Wilderness Tactical type nylon webbing belt with some stiffness do the trick.

Don't forget the extra inch or two in pants size.
    Go Glock - until you can afford H&K

For my Shield, I find that the AIWB holster from JM Custom Kydex | What gun? works perfectly. If you prefer leather, the best I have found for AIWB wear is AKJ/Concealco, but I don't know if he makes one for the Shield.
    Earth is the insane asylum of the universe!

Dale Fricke Archangel

Wilderness instructor belt.

One thing, when I carry AIWB(which I do everyday) I loosen my belt a lot more than if I'm wearing strong side, this lets the holster move up and down as you move/bend and makes it much more comfortable. I just carried like that during a two day training class and had zero problems with my belt being a little loose.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ~Mike
    Glock 17, Dale Fricke Archangel, Wilderness Tactical belt.
    My Guns and Tattoos Blog

Distinguished Member Array jarhead79's Avatar
    I cannot carry any auto AIWB. I can carry a revolver there all day. The grip is so thick that for most people, printing is going to be a major problem. Plus, depending on your body type and clothing choice, it may not be comfortable having a gun there, period. It will be fine at first, but wear it for a few hours, and your whole '
    area' will tell you a different story.
    www.ubgholsters.com short wait times. Use 'defensivecarry' as a coupon code for a discount to your order.

I love Mitch Rosen Clipper ($60 ish), easy on/off, low ride, straight drop allows me to whear anywhere between 1 to 3 oclock. Best: the steel clip has a reverse hook I can wear it without a belt. NOT the purdiest... but EFFECTIVE.

I have total 4 of them for various subcompacts.. that's how much i like it.

Distinguished Member Array AZJD1968's Avatar
    Old School has an active thread on this topic also and he picked this:
    http://www.highnoonholsters.com/Prod...et_w_clip.html

Here is his tuckable version.

Alter Ego

They just may work for you.
    Last edited by AZJD1968; August 21st, 2012 at 09:02 PM. Reason: added link.
    Stop whining and go do something that makes a difference!
    If you think that I may be talking to you, then I am.

Distinguished Member Array AZJD1968's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wagon View Post
    I love Mitch Rosen Clipper ($60 ish), easy on/off, low ride, straight drop allows me to whear anywhere between 1 to 3 oclock. Best: the steel clip has a reverse hook I can wear it without a belt. NOT the purdiest... but EFFECTIVE.

I have total 4 of them for various subcompacts.. that's how much i like it.

Nice belt! I have been wearing the wilderness instructor everyday for almost 3 years. I highly recomend it!
    Stop whining and go do something that makes a difference!
    If you think that I may be talking to you, then I am.

Quote Originally Posted by jarhead79 View Post
    The grip is so thick that for most people, printing is going to be a major problem. Plus, depending on your body type and clothing choice, it may not be comfortable having a gun there, period. It will be fine at first, but wear it for a few hours, and your whole 'area' will tell you a different story.
    I used to think AIWB would be extremely uncomfortable for a guy proportioned like me, but now I carry a Springfield XD9 Service AIWB clothing permitting ie if I can wear some sort of cover garment, I'm golden. I'm 5'8" and about 215lbs with a goodly portion located in the belly region (don't worry, it's being worked on). I carry with a holster from Dale Fricke as well (I'm stoked to see so many Fricke fans!) but I use a Zacchaeus which is a plastic piece that clips over the trigger guard covering the trigger, and it has a loop of cord that goes around the belt. Your belt tension holds the gun in place and it is extremely comfortable and the lowest bulk you can get safely holster-wise. Yeah, if you wear tight shirts you are going to have an issue, but if you are wearing a bigger shirt like most people who CCW do, you shouldn't have an issue. I also use a Remora holster with a Kahr CM9 for seriously low-pro concealment. I will say that the only time I have had an issue with AIWB was trying on shoes ooooomph

Secret for sitting for longer periods of time, loosen the belt or pop the gun up a little bit since the shirt is probably billowed out a little bit anyway. A lot less digging in the groin, which frankly will make us all happier.
    "It is your evil that will be sought by us. With every breath we will hunt them down. Each day we will spill their blood, until it rains down from the skies. Do not kill. Do not rape. Do not steal. These are principles that every man from every faith can embrace." -McManus twins Boondock Saints

UBGHolsters.com ..... very high quality, about all i use anymore.....
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American GI. One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

I asked my stock broker the other day, what I should be investing in ....his reply, canned goods n ammo !!!

Links