I know nothing about IWB holsters

This is a discussion on I know nothing about IWB holsters within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I know nothing about IWB holsters. So a couple questions. . (guns are a: S&W 442 with a crimson trace grip and a Springfield Micro ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I know nothing about IWB holsters.

So a couple questions. .

(guns are a: S&W 442 with a crimson trace grip and a Springfield Micro .45, Loaded)

Questions. .

Leather vs Kydex - pros/cons?

Flat Clips Vs Loops Vs J-clips - pros/cons?

Are all IWBs "tuckable"?

Do you need to wear an undershirt when you IWB to have it be comfortable?

What is the airspeed of an unladen swallow?

Thanks!

Bill
    Somewhere in the Pacific NW

Cool

Leather.

J-clips

All inside the waistband holsters are not tuckable.

I prefer a undershirt.

http://style.org/unladenswallow/

Go to the below web site.

They have an excellent question and answer section and excellent photos of all their products..

High Noon Holsters

I carry Appendix Inside The Waistband with the High Noon Public Secret holsters.

Image 1.jpg S&W Model 60
    click image to enlarge....

photo.jpg Glock 23
    click image to enlarge....

OS
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

VIP Member
    I wish I could answer your questions for you, but I can do so no more than I can tell you what gun or caliber to buy.

However, in general for me;

I prefer leather over Kydex because (good quality) leather looks better, adapts to the shape of my body, is easier to put on (slides down in waistband easier), and doesn't make that "snick" noise when I draw.

J-clips are better, flat-clips work too, and loops annoy me when putting it on/taking it off.

No, not all IWBs are tuckable. Most are not and I've yet to find a "tuckable" that didn't look like I had a banana wadded up in my shirt. I'm still searching for a tuckable solution and have not found one among the major brands.

I'd rather die than wear an undershirt. Having a "sweat guard" on the holster adds a good bit of comfort in my case.

You got me on the swallow thing.

Cheers.

For concealed carry I prefer leather IWB from a good leather craftsman for the reasons stated by WHEC724. My first 9mm in 1972 was a S&W 39-2 carried in a leather IWB holster custom made for me by Seventrees in New York City. It was molded to the gun and fitted to my body, was comfortable and concealed the pistol under a Tee shirt without printing. I still have the 9mm and carry it with that holster, which is in pristine condition. I also like the Milt Sparks Executive IWB for my S&W 4013 TSW, the Ken Null leather IWB for my Glock 32, the DeSantis Cozy Partner for my Glock 27 and the Galco Summer Special leather IWB for my Walther PPK. For range or field carry I have leather OWB holsters from the same sources for each of my guns. A good leather holster, with proper care, will last for many years of service.

1- both, I prefer kydex/leather hybrids but all leather is growing on me. I don't like all kydex though.

2- flat steel clip can wear on a belts finish. I still like them. I'm tinkering with loops and like them if I'm not tucking. Never used J hooks.

3- Not all are tuckable. If that's what you want make sure they advertise it.

4- I don't wear undershirts and works fine

5- What do you mean, African or European?
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

Quote Originally Posted by bcvojak View Post

So a couple questions. .

(guns are a: S&W 442 with a crimson trace grip and a Springfield Micro .45, Loaded)

Questions. .

Are all IWBs "tuckable"?

Thanks!

Bill
    Leather and kydex, but horsehide may be better than leather. Leather may be easier on your guns finish if you obsess over that kind of thing. The kydex won't be as nice to the finish as leather but the finish will not affect the performance of the gun.

Mine clip over the belt-easy on, easy off.

No.

It helps.

Probably not as fast as the shot from a 12 gauge.

Disclaimer: I own 1 IWB holster, not counting the pitiful uncle mikes bag thing, so I know a lot about that one holster. The holster I own is a CBST (CrossBreed SuperTuck). It is horsehide/kydex with the combat cut. I wear it along with a wife beater undershirt from morning to bedtime all 4 seasons and it is both comforting and comfortable. It is tuckable, but I do not tuck. It comes with a 2 week try it guarantee and a lifetime warranty. I did have the kydex break on me once (mostly due to wearing it for periods of a few hours without a pistol in it), I e-mailed them and shipped it on Monday and had it back that Friday. New kydex, new hardware and in the same position as I had it. I use this holster when I compete also. I think they are a supporting vendor or something on here, check them out. Some will say others make IWB holsters, I disagree.
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

Quote Originally Posted by bcvojak View Post

So a couple questions. .

Questions. .

Are all IWBs "tuckable"?

Thanks!

Bill
    Leather looks better, but I think kydex fits the gun better. Both are equally comfortable to me. I have both, but use kydex more often.

Clips move around more and may come completely off the belt (I lost a cell phone that way) Some clips are better than others though (Fist and High Noon have reputations for using the best clips). I prefer loops even though they are harder to get on/off and print more.

NONE of my IWBs are tuckable.

I do wear an undershirt; I prefer it to having a slide shield on the holster. Others feel differently.

If the swallow is headed for a hot date, it can be quite fast!

As with all advice, this is worth every penny you paid for it.
    Earth is the insane asylum of the universe!

I've got a Crossbreed Supertuck. It's a nice holster. It's tuckable. I've used it as such once or twice and I was happy with it.
    I've got a Theis holster. It too is a nice holster. It too is tuckable. I have not tucked with it. I am happy with it.

I do not wear an undershirt. The retaining screws on my Supertuck aren't corroding. The retaining screws on my Theis are slightly. Clear nail polish on them should fix that issue.

I have no complaints with either holster and would recommend them to anyone. :)

I CCW my Sigs in those 2 holsters. I will not CCW my VBOB in it. Why? I'm fearful the kydex will scratch it. I'm not concerned about my Sigs getting scratched... one has lots of holster wear already. The other was pristine before I began CCWing it and it's still in good shape... I just want a nice IWB leather holster for my VBOB... concealed means it won't be sen by anyone but me (hopefully) but I want it to ride in something leather and nice. For a gun of that price range, it will.

I prefer kydex for appendix carry. I carry a Glock 17 in a Dale Fricke Archangel every day. It is not tuckable.

For strong side carry I prefer the leather/kydex hybrids like the crossbreed supertuck and all the knockoffs. Super comfortable. They are tuckable. I prefer the regular clips over j-hooks, but j-hooks or velcro clips are less noticeable than regular clips if you plan on tucking a lot.

Don't forget you need a nice stiff gunbelt. This is as important or more so than the holster. There are lots of nice double thick leather ones around that look nice or there are the nylon Wilderness Instructor belts. I have had the 5 stitch 1.5" instructor belt since 2008 and couldn't be happier with it. I don't really ever have to tuck so it doesn't really matter what it looks like.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ~Mike
    Glock 17, Dale Fricke Archangel, Wilderness Tactical belt.
    My Guns and Tattoos Blog

You've already got some very good responses. I can only add that I use a IWB holster for my EMP 9mm and Springfield Micro .45. I've gone back and forth using a leather F.I.S.T. holster with belt loop snaps that you can switch from IWB to OWB, and the Comp-tac Minotaur IWB holster.

I've found for myself, at least, that I now prefer IWB holster regardless of whether I am wearing a tucked shirt or not. The gun just rides better and is more concealable to me. I have also found that I prefer the Minotaur holster for IWB. It has a leather backing and a kydex holster. I do wear an undershirt. However, if you don't like wearing undershirts, you will more than likely really like the Minotaur as it has a softer suede leather liner on the inside of the holster that come in contact with your skin.

I wear this holster all day with no problem and have several different blanks that allow me to switch between my Glocks, XD's, and 1911's. It is my go to holster. I prefer the C clips but am currently using the J clips.

As already stated, not all IWB holsters are tuckable. Thats just the way it is. Good luck.
    Glock, Colt, S&W,Beretta,ParaOrdnance
    Springfields, Browning, Keltec... to name a few.

TSRA, NRA, IDPA, IPSC, USPSA
    NRA Certified RSO and Instructor
    Certified CHL Instructor in Texas and Lousisiana

If you are NOT tucking in your shirt, I'd look inti an OWB. I think they are much more comfortable and conceal fine under most of my untucked shirts.
    The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it. Albert Einstein

"People in Arizona carry guns," said a Chandler police spokesman. "You better be careful about who you are picking on."

Not all IWB holsters are tuckable.

Everything else is subject to user preference.

Re: velocity of a swallow...

Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

Personal opinions, only, based on my experience having used various IWB/OWB holsters:

• Leather seems to mold around the gun/body, whereas Kydex resists this. Particularly where your body shape isn't a great match for the Kydex shape, IMO the leather will suit you better in that application. Depends on the holster.
    • Leather can stretch over time, loosening the grip on the gun. Of the dozens of holsters I've had, only a couple have loosened up more than a little. With most well-designed and -made holsters, this isn't a problem.

• Spreading the load helps guard against accidental release. For me, flat/wide clips make more sense than J-clips.
    • Loops are typically what I've used on my leather holsters, though I've got several with clips. Snap loops can unsnap, on rare occasions; and clips can unhook, on rare occasions. Otherwise, each seems roughly equal to the task. Take your pick.

• An undershirt adds a bit of bulk, though it definitely can help protect the skin against abrasure, sweat, pinching. Up to you, whether the pros/cons are worth it.

• African or European?
    • It's a matter of where it grips it.
    • Will you be having a 'watery tart' or 'moistened bint' with your tea?
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

All good advice above, try different things and use what works. Just remember you generally get what you pay for with holsters. If you carry every day (always my preference) it's worth spending the money for something nice.

Thanks for all the excellent info from all!

The High Noon holsters have caught my interest.

I'm headed to the Portland gun show this weekend to see if I can try out some different variations and setups to see how they feel.
    Somewhere in the Pacific NW

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links