Belt holsters for a revolver? - Page 2

Belt holsters for a revolver?

This is a discussion on Belt holsters for a revolver? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by ccw9mm Ditto, on that. Had a Simply Rugged OWB pancake for a Ruger Super Redhawk Alaskan .44mag revolver. Very effective. ...and it ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Belt holsters for a revolver?

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    Ditto, on that. Had a Simply Rugged OWB pancake for a Ruger Super Redhawk Alaskan .44mag revolver. Very effective.
    ...and it was invisible under a loose t-shirt? That's saying a lot!

Quote Originally Posted by DanielC View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    Ditto, on that. Had a Simply Rugged OWB pancake for a Ruger Super Redhawk Alaskan .44mag revolver. Very effective.
    ...and it was invisible under a loose t-shirt? That's saying a lot!
    Well, I didn't say that exactly. Of course, the fairly bulky Alaskan's going to take up ~2in of space no matter how excellent a holster is used, but it's about as good a product as one could hope for when attempting to hold something as large as a Ruger Alaskan close to the body. And that fat butt's not going to disappear on anyone under all circumstances, and probably not at all on many of us.

But, given the OP's basic criteria ...

Quote Originally Posted by OP's criteria
    Concealment won't be a huge issue, but I'm not looking for a range holster, either. Looking for something that will hold close to the body without being uncomfortable; maybe a pancake holster?
    ... a decent pancake style that's effective at holding a heavier revolver should do the trick. Leahy's Simply Rugged design certainly qualifies.

DC, your SP101 in a Simply Rugged pancake should conceal fairly nicely. I'm betting with the right body shape and covering garment(s), the Alaskan's got about as good a shot at concealment as with any other holster ... and probably better than most.

Gotta love great holsters!
    DanielC likes this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar
    You'll get many opinions on this. Hate to do this but one poster recommended the Kramer Scabbard. It's expensive and beautiful but I wouldn't recommend it. I bought this holster and loved it at first but the design doesn't hold the butt of the gun close to to the side. Not a problem if you don't care about printing or wear it under a coat but it bugged me enough that I sold it.

What I do recommend and use for my own 640-1 is an OWB by UBG. Hold it's very tight to the side but super comfortable. Only minor complaint is that the barrel will just peek out from the bottom. My 640-1 has a 2" barrel and his is made as a high riding OWB holster. His IWB holster for the same gun is also outstanding. The cost is VERY reasonable and his delivery time is great. So UBG Holsters is one of the best values out there.

One step above in quality are holsters from HBE. I have quite a few and find them to be as good as the best. As good as Sparks, Kramers, etc. And a LOT less costly. They're the higher end holsters at a less than higher end price. Wait can be longer but it's more than worth it.

Personally I like OWB holsters for my 640, I've never liked the feeling of a cylinder buldge when you wear it IWB.

Gideon

I've come to appreciate the pancake holsters from Simply Rugged as well. They keep my revolvers tight to me, and with a good belt with them you can almost forget that the gun is on you.

Which says a lot when you are carrying around a Ruger Super Blackhawk.
    DanielC likes this.

Rugged reservations for ladies

Ladies are built shorter waisted than men making the ride of a holster challenging to accommodate. That is an important feature to consider when selecting a holster.

The Simply Rugged Sourdough Pancake rides quite high. It conceals well with the gun butt close to the armpit, but drawing from strong side requires a lot of leaning. They also take up a lot of belt real estate which distributes weight well but ladies generally have less real estate than us men.

I usually OC when boon-docking so I ended up carrying mine (4" N-frame Smith) front crossdraw about 11:00. It does a great job that way.

FIST's #9 Close Cropped may fit you needs well. Several colors to choose from and the thumb break is an available option. http://www.fist-inc.com They have a variety of other styles to peruse while you are at it including a Lady FIST line.

"To be honest, I'm not usually a fan of thumbreaks, but since this gun will be carried on hunting, horseback riding, and ATV riding excursions, retention is important."

Better to have and not need than need and not have.

Quote Originally Posted by DanielC View Post
    Attachment 62057
    Sorry for the crappy photo, but I absolutely love my Simply Rugged Pancake for my Sp101. With a high quality belt and a loose-fitting tshirt, it's invisible, and I can barely tell it's there.
    I ordered one and it's due here this Monday. Read alot of good comments on them. One of the few holsters you can IWB or OWB you can get if you ordered the optional IWB straps.
    I think, therefore I am...

<the Menace>

I had a simply rugged for my SP101 and wasn't that impressed. The quality was ok but the price in my opinion was a little higher than what I thought it was worth. It also bled all over me.
    Chief1297 likes this.

sgb
    Quote Originally Posted by Paladin3840 View Post
    Ladies are built shorter waisted than men making the ride of a holster challenging to accommodate. That is an important feature to consider when selecting a holster.

The Simply Rugged Sourdough Pancake rides quite high. It conceals well with the gun butt close to the armpit, but drawing from strong side requires a lot of leaning. They also take up a lot of belt real estate which distributes weight well but ladies generally have less real estate than us men.

I usually OC when boon-docking so I ended up carrying mine (4" N-frame Smith) front crossdraw about 11:00. It does a great job that way.

FIST's #9 Close Cropped may fit you needs well. Several colors to choose from and the thumb break is an available option. FIST, Inc. They have a variety of other styles to peruse while you are at it including a Lady FIST line.

I missed that the OP is a woman. Kramer makes a female specific holster

"There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

And then there's "old school" all the way around.

This Bucheimer Federal Man holster went to church this morning, toting a 4-inch Smith & Wesson K-Frame in perfect comfort beneath a suit coat. A simple high-rise design, it was a well-designed classic but unfortunately is no longer produced. All my stuff is gettin' old. These holsters occasionally turn up on GunBroker for not much dough. They're worthwhile if still in good shape. This one's lasted over 35 years now.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Senior Member Array GentlemanJim's Avatar
    An economical solution and one that works well for me is a Don Hume JIT.

Jim

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gene83 View Post
    I think you'll find that a Galco Concealable will pull the gun in tighter than a pancake holster will. That's what I'm using.

Attachment 62055
    I have the Galco Concealable and it works great for my all steel j-frames (640 or model 60). Gets my vote as well!

Distinguished Member Array RevolvingMag's Avatar
    Rock Hill, SC- Across Town From Where All the Homicides Happen
    Quote Originally Posted by MrsHB View Post
    I'm looking for suggestions for IWB or OWB holsters that will comfortably support a heavier-weight steel snubbie.
    I have a S&W 640 .357 revolver that I will use for winter and outdoors carry. Concealment won't be a huge issue, but I'm not looking for a range holster, either. Looking for something that will hold close to the body without being uncomfortable; maybe a pancake holster?

For IWB, I have a remora on order and was looking at the N82. Anyone tried one of these with a revolver?
    I use an N82 for my Windicator, and it's perfect. Conceals well, and is very comfortable. As well as keeping the gun from getting too wet here in the summer (here being SC, and me being a person who sweats a lot).
    "Rock and load, lock and roll... what's it matter? FIRE!!"

"Gun control means hitting your target every time."

Please take everything I say with at least one grain of salt- I am a very sarcastic person with a very dry sense of humor.

Quote Originally Posted by sgb View Post
    I missed that the OP is a woman. Kramer makes a female specific holster

This is one is the best looking design yet. Expensive, but for a lady who will carry is darn well worth it!

Cool

I live in a concealed carry state so my choice for my S&W Model 36 and Model 60 is IWB.

I carry appendix and I have used the High Noon Public Secret for several years now.

Image 1.jpgImage 1.jpgImage 2.jpg
    click image to enlarge....

Product Line

A good quality gunbelt is essential to a carry rig. The one in the photo is stiff two ply leather.

http://thebeltman.net

OS
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links