Belt holsters for a revolver?

This is a discussion on Belt holsters for a revolver? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm looking for suggestions for IWB or OWB holsters that will comfortably support a heavier-weight steel snubbie. I have a S&W 640 .357 revolver that ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Belt holsters for a revolver?

Question Belt holsters for a revolver?

I'm looking for suggestions for IWB or OWB holsters that will comfortably support a heavier-weight steel snubbie.
    I have a S&W 640 .357 revolver that I will use for winter and outdoors carry. Concealment won't be a huge issue, but I'm not looking for a range holster, either. Looking for something that will hold close to the body without being uncomfortable; maybe a pancake holster?

For IWB, I have a remora on order and was looking at the N82. Anyone tried one of these with a revolver?

2. Remove Ads

For revolver CC, I'm a real fan of pancakes, especially steel frame (though the 640 definitely isn't a tank). Mitch Rosen makes some nice stuff, and if you're a penny-pincher, his Express line has a very high value-to-money ratio.

For iwb look at the Galco triton. Simple and comfortable.

Blackhawk makes a nice one specially for the J-frame and a Crossbreed Snapslide works well for me as well. Sorry, too lazy to post links.

Check with Jeff at Hays Holsters.

Welcome to DeSantis Gunhide®. "We didn't invent concealment, we just perfected it." — DeSantis Holster DeSantis' Thumb Break Scabbard available through Optics Planet @$52.99 - OpticsPlanet.com | Low Prices, Free S&H on Binoculars, Sunglasses, Night Vision Goggles, Riflescopes, Flashlights, Rangefinders - Hunting, Outdoor, Science & Military is an excellent mass production holster and a lot of bang for the buck.

Galco holsters; Holsters; Gun holster, pistol holsters, western holsters, shoulder holsters, leather holster and Glock holsters Galco's FLETCH is a similar pancake design available through Optics Planet for $75.96.

I have the DeSantis for a S&W 60 and the Galco for a GLOCK.

PS. I like a thumb break on holsters as I never know when I'm going to take a spill - I just know I take one from time to time.

I've had good luck with Galco leather. I have a Royal Guard IWB holster and an older Galco pancake style holster for my S&W 649. There is a thumb brake on the OWB holster. I was out with my dog one afternoon in a public park. I got caught up in the lead and ended up flat on my back in a large rain puddle. I was grateful for the thumb break that day.

sgb
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

I use a Gould and Goodrich leather pancake holster for my Smith and Wesson model 13.

An intruder will be incapacitated by tear gas or oven spray, but if shot with a .357 Magnum will get angry and kill you.

I think you'll find that a Galco Concealable will pull the gun in tighter than a pancake holster will. That's what I'm using.

001.JPG
    "The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come." ~ Confucius

Pictured here is one of my K Frame revolvers in a Sourdough Pancake holster from Simply Rugged. This might work for you.
    Attached Images
    DanielC and bmcgilvray like this.

Distinguished Member Array Brady's Avatar
    I think most 'name brand' holsters or quality custom jobs will do. Of equal importance is a quality belt.
    Custom Gun Belts, Custom Leather Belts from A & G Custom Gun Leather
    bmcgilvray likes this.
    ...he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one. Luke 22:36
    USN/VET; NRA; GOA, jpfo.org
    Life in a Jar: The Irena Sendler Project www.irenasendler.com

The Galco Concealable is actually one of the ones I've been looking at. I like the design & cant (and the fact that it would match my Galco contour belt ). How strong is the retention on it?

To be honest, I'm not usually a fan of thumbreaks, but since this gun will be carried on hunting, horseback riding, and ATV riding excursions, retention is important. So, I'm not totally ruling them out.

Thanks for all of the recommendations, this definitely gives me some "online shopping" leads!

IMAG0122.jpg
    Sorry for the crappy photo, but I absolutely love my Simply Rugged Pancake for my Sp101. With a high quality belt and a loose-fitting tshirt, it's invisible, and I can barely tell it's there.
    45ACP4ever likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by DanielC View Post
    IMAG0122.jpg
    Sorry for the crappy photo, but I absolutely love my Simply Rugged Pancake for my Sp101. With a high quality belt and a loose-fitting tshirt, it's invisible, and I can barely tell it's there.
    Ditto, on that. Had a Simply Rugged OWB pancake for a Ruger Super Redhawk Alaskan .44mag revolver. Very effective.
    DanielC likes this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links