rough out belt question for leather guys...

This is a discussion on rough out belt question for leather guys... within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; What would be the pros-mostly the cons, really-of having a rough out type carry belt? I was noticing that my belts have some scraping on ...

Thread: rough out belt question for leather guys...

What would be the pros-mostly the cons, really-of having a rough out type carry belt? I was noticing that my belts have some scraping on them from a couple of holsters (Kydex with step tape in the belt loop in one case). I guess it would look pretty casual, but I'm not concerned about that, and I guess the rough side would wear like any other rough out finish, but maybe it could be roughed back up? Seems like there would be zero worry about the holster shifting when using a 1 1/2 belt slotted holster on a smaller belt? I've never seen one, so there must be a good reason why not. I have 3 different brands of belt I like (Hume, Delfatti, Beltman) but I need another 1 1/2 one and was just wondering about this. I only use OWB for now.
    What Would Gumby Do?

Senior Member Array Eric Larsen's Avatar
    Well....in all honesty I cant think of one benefit to having the rough side out. Everytime you pull it through a loop it will just polish them down.
    Clips will effect any belt by abrasion but thats just the nature of clips, whether kydex or steel. Id get a holster with leather loops that fit the belt snug and just wear it.
    Shoot well and god bless
    If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice..........Rush

I have seen complete western rigs made this way, and some maker's gunbelt done rough-out but don't recall who's (it was awhile ago). I'm with Eric in that i don't see any real advantage to it. Though it may scuff less, it will get dirty very quickly. Rough-out tends to attract and hold the dirt, and is diffcult to get clean.
    "He who makes things with his hands is a laborer, he who makes things with his hands and his head is a craftsman, he who makes things with his hands, his head, and his heart is an artist."
    www.garritysgunleather.com

Thanks guys, I figured if it was a good idea, someone would have alread done it but I thought I'd bounce it around a bit. I hadn't thought about it "polishing" every time it went through the loops, though...guess it wouldn't have lasted even as long as I guessed on the short side.
    What Would Gumby Do?

I guess I'll take the opposing view . If you don't mind the look of a roughout rig, it holds up very well to rough treatment just because it tends to mask the effects of small scratches. I've built quite a few over the years; the first was for a game warden who was tired of scratching up his leather every time walked through a brushy area. The surface will wear and will get some smooth spots on it but, to my eye, it's kind of honest wear like a blued gun tha's been carry alot. BTW, if you get a roughout rig, you have the benefit of a smooth interior on the holster and the mag pouch (and cuff case if you wear one).

I'm with Matt on this one - rough-out belts make a lot of sense for someone who is really rough on their leather gear.

Senior Member Array Eric Larsen's Avatar
    Hmmmm. I guess you learn something new everyday. Thanks Matt.
    Hey Gary.... :D
    Shoot well and god bless
    If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice..........Rush

Matt, the trim on some of your rigs or some of the rough-out rigs trimmed smooth was part of my inspiration for the question, but I've never seen a whole belt made that way. IIRC, I think I saw a rough out holster built by Thad Rybka years back. It was a flap type holster built for the woods, a bit like your warden's needs. I'm guessing how long it might last would depend on some quality of the leather (toughness? type?). Here is it is...rough out leather trimmed in a fine line of shark along the stitching line that sits a bit higher than the belt to protect the rough out finish...I'm pretty good at thinking up work for OTHER people to do, right? Thanks for the input Eric, Gary, Matt, and Mark. I may have to find some one to "project" this for me.
    What Would Gumby Do?

I had never even considered that as an option...............

I could see one doing a line of "field/hunting" holsters and belts in that manner.
    Ranger Gunleather

If light rails were needed on handguns John Browning would have included it on the 1911.

The rough out cowboy rig I have hides the abuse, scrapes & scratches. Gave up on trying to keep it clean as it tends to hang on to dirt, but heck it just adds to the character being a bit dirty.

I'd imagine it would work the same for a CC rig. Depends on what you are wearing with it. Might look a bit out of place with dress clothes, but fine with Dockers or jeans.

Links