S&W 686 Shoulder Holster

S&W 686 Shoulder Holster

This is a discussion on S&W 686 Shoulder Holster within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Story: My Grandfather passed away when I was 7 or 8 years old of pancreatic cancer, he had a substantial collection of firearms that is ...

S&W 686 Shoulder Holster

Story: My Grandfather passed away when I was 7 or 8 years old of pancreatic cancer, he had a substantial collection of firearms that is being distributed among all of his kids and grandkids as we get older and I was lucky enough to inherit a beautiful S&W 686 in .357 mag with a 4 inch barrel.

I would love to be able to carry this gun during deer season because I feel as though it would be like taking a little bit of my grandfather into the woods with me. He wasn't a hunter but he was an avid outdoorsman and according to my uncle, this was his favorite firearm. I think if a very close opportunity occurred I would take a deer with it but chances are I would stick with my 30-30 for that task. Really, it's just a sentimental notion- I just want it with me.

I'm looking primarily for a shoulder holster recommendation as I wear a lot of clothes when it gets cold and that would be the easiest for me to get at should I need it or choose to use it. So DC, do you have a shoulder holster recommendation? I'm much more worried about comfort than concealment. Concealment is an afterthought really, the area in which I hunt is pretty rural (Springfield, KY) and if we were to do something like stop for lunch the sight of a firearm wouldn't really get a second thought anyway.

FWIW, I may not be the best shot in the world, but I shoot this gun better than any handgun I have laid my hands on.
    IMG_0126.jpg

VIP Member
    High Noon Under Taker. I have a couple and really like them.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

"Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by ksholder View Post
    High Noon Under Taker. I have a couple and really like them.
    It looks like a great holster but unless I'm missing something, the 686 isn't listed as one of the firearms they make it for.

El Paso sadlery makes one called the "Tanker" holster. Basically it's a military style shoulder holster made for your revolver. There are a few old surplus revolver holsters out there, but they are made for K frame Victories. The 686 being an L frame might not fit so well...

This may be more than you are willing to pay but it's made for the woods and versatile (check the videos).
    Guides Choice Chest Holster, Original Alaskan Holster

Links