Needing your 2 cents on owb holsters

Needing your 2 cents on owb holsters

This is a discussion on Needing your 2 cents on owb holsters within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I just received my permit, AFTER ONLY 8 DAYS, and I'm having a hard time trying to find a OWB holster. Let me give some ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Needing your 2 cents on owb holsters

I just received my permit, AFTER ONLY 8 DAYS, and I'm having a hard time trying to find a OWB holster. Let me give some details that might affect your decision. I'm a big boy, 6'1" about 300 lbs . The pants are a little tight, cant afford a new wardrobe right now, so it might make it tough with the choices. I bought a Blackhawk sportser hip holster from Walmart the other night but the butt of the gun stuck out from the hip area. I have mags with the Pearce grips, but will carry the 13 round mag without if I have to. I obviously want to carry my gun with me, at all times, but I def can't have it printing like that. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

You didn't say what gun, and that will affect the decision. Nylon holsters like the Blackhawk Sportster don't hold the gun tight to your body and therefore print badly; there are lots of better choices. If you are looking for something inexpensive that is still good quality and conceals well, try the Don Hume H721-O.T. A lot of places sell Don Hume holsters, but I have always had good service dealing with Gunner's Alley (Gun Holsters and Shooting Accessories at Discounted Prices). Blackdog Concealment (sells through Ebay) has a kydex OWB holster that also seems to be a good value.
    Earth is the insane asylum of the universe!

I like my Stoner paddle holsters.

Not to thread jack BamBam's post, but what is the highest ride OWB holster?
    Regards,
    OldGringo
    Thin Blue Line - LEMC
    Victory Riders Association
    Patriot Guard Riders
    "Standing for those who stood for us"

try a different style of carry like a kangaroo carry; something to take the gun off the waist and still give you quick access

Solution 4 U

FIST K2 (Kydex) High Ride FIST, Inc..

Sturdy belt from The Beltman Gun Belts by The Belt Man

The Michlin Man physique may still allow the rig to slide down, but this malady can be cured with a pair of Perry Suspenders Welcome to the Perry Suspenders eStore

I can attest to the quality and service of all 3 recommendations.
    Last edited by Paladin3840; September 2nd, 2012 at 03:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Paladin3840 View Post
    FIST K2 High Ride FIST, Inc..

Sturdy belt from The Beltman Gun Belts by The Belt Man

The Michlin Man physique may still allow the rig to slide down, but this malady can be cured with a pair of Perry Suspenders Welcome to the Perry Suspenders eStore

I can attest to the quality and service of all 3 recommendations.

I can vouch for #2 and #3 above myself.

Also, not counting concealment, make sure that #1 the holster protects the trigger well. Another lesson I learned is, if it's a leather holster, you'll really appreciate having a reinforced mouth on that puppy for ease of re-holstering.
    I think, therefore I am...

<the Menace>

Distinguished Member Array ericb327's Avatar
    Try galco slide!
    For to win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill. (Sun Tzu) The Art of War

https://www.facebook.com/ninja312

My food and product review blog
    http://trualitybarandgrille.wordpress.com/

High Noon Slide Guard

GH
    I've found that a cheap holster like an Uncle Mike's nylon works good depending on what shirt I wear. That holster was thrown in free by the store where I bought my gun. I made sure that it fit my gun & holds it firmly. I'm still in your predicament & am looking for the "ideal" carrying system if there is such a thing. With winter approaching I think it'll be much easier to conceal carry wearing almost any gun/holster set up. I'm considering a shoulder holster when wearing short jackets. In any case I'll practice drawing until I'm proficient.
    Glenn

USN Submarine & UDT/SEAL Veteran
    1SG, US Army Retired - Airborne Infantry All the Way!
    Special Warfare Mentor
    M&P40, M&P40C

Quote Originally Posted by GH View Post
    I've found that a cheap holster like an Uncle Mike's nylon works good depending on what shirt I wear. That holster was thrown in free by the store where I bought my gun. I made sure that it fit my gun & holds it firmly. I'm still in your predicament & am looking for the "ideal" carrying system if there is such a thing. With winter approaching I think it'll be much easier to conceal carry wearing almost any gun/holster set up. I'm considering a shoulder holster when wearing short jackets. In any case I'll practice drawing until I'm proficient.
    I highly recommend you ensure any holster you use on your person has good trigger protection. I avoid nylon.

sgb
    I make a high ride OWB designed to flex at the front attachment allowing the rear to pull the butt in to the body.

"There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

VIP Member
    I carry my P7 in one of these.......

High Ride Pancake Holster

High riding, solid, and with a good belt (read Beltman) it stays put and doesn't flop around.
    CCW permit holder for Idaho, Utah, Pennsylvania, Maine and New Hampshire. I can carry in your country but not my own.

I carry almost exclusively OWB. If I am concealing it's in a leather/kydex hybrid beltslide that I make. I don't mind a little printing, and the comfort makes up for that in my mind. I only carry IWB when I really want to make it disappear.

A good belt is more important with OWB carry than IWB carry though. A cheap belt will allow the holster to bend away from the body. And nylon holsters have a tendency to bounce and flop around. At least mine did. If the holster is not held tight against the body it will print. Another thing that helps is to thread the belt so that you catch a belt loop between the loops on the holster. A holster threaded this way is less likely to lean out than one that is threaded entirely between 2 belt loops.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

A few things to think about. Just prepare mentally to end up with a bunch of hosters that didn't really work all that well. Budget for it because trying different holsters is the only way to find what will work for you. Second, I initially tried owb holsters and I couldn't get them to conceal well enough. You really do need a good belt. Finally, I just decided to go on a diet and after about a month I had enough room in my pants to wear iwb holsters smewhat comfortably. There's nothing more motivating for a diet than a piece of metal constantly jabbing you in the side. Third, I still had t buy shirts that worked. Patterns, button downs with starchy material, etc. in a matter of a month I had replaced my shirt collection about three times over trying to find the right combination. So, for you, now is a great time to really thin the wardrobe and start experimenting with different styles. It doesn't have to be expensive, you just have to go shopping a lot. Once you get past the realization that you are going to have to learn how to dress all over again, it gets much easier and you will find you can conceal pretty much anything you want.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links