Need opinion/ review on 5.11 gun belt

This is a discussion on Need opinion/ review on 5.11 gun belt within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have heard the advice of getting a good gun belt makes a world of difference, I found a 5.11 leather belt with internal stiffener ...

Thread: Need opinion/ review on 5.11 gun belt

I have heard the advice of getting a good gun belt makes a world of difference, I found a 5.11 leather belt with internal stiffener at local gander mt. Anyone have experience with this? Right now I'm using a Blackhawk instructor nylon belt and it's good for iwb but kind thick for my owb holster.
    NRA - Line of Duty Member

SIG P220ST

Next purchase an AR-15 hopefully

Good quality leather gun belt usually is thicker than nylon belt. i have both leather (a beltman and a Rafter) and nylon - Wilderness 5 stitch, i tend to go for the Wilderness most of the time. What I'm saying is, leather belt does not "better" than nylon belt, function-wise.

If your want another nylon, then please buy USA, buy Wilderness.
    Last edited by wagon; September 3rd, 2012 at 03:30 PM.

Distinguished Member Array orangevol's Avatar
    I have 3 of the 5.11 1 1/2" leather belts, black, brown & tan. They are a good value for the $$'s.
    Proud NRA member

I think they are absolute garbage.

When I first started carrying I knew I needed a stiff belt but didn't know what a "good" belt was. I assumed the 5.11 would do well cause it was from a well known "tactical" clothing company and the price was decent.

This is the model I purchased. Leather Casual Belt - 1.5" | Belts | 5.11 Tactical

While it was stiff, it basically self destructed within a year of daily wear and carry. The plastic stiffener inside broke in half at the belt notch I used from flexing over and over while sinching it up every time I wore it. Basically like what happens to a credit card when you bend it back and forth and it eventually cracks in half. The stitching also wore out at that point leaving the end up the belt barely hanging on. The rest of the belt started showing wear very quickly as the leather is actually a very cheap imitation stuff so it basically scrapes off exposing the white plastic liner. If you read the reviews on that 5.11 page you'll see that I am not the only person dissatisfied with the durability and quality of the belt.

Save your money and buy a better belt. Yeah, they are cheap but you'll have to buy another one within the year so you might as well just fork over the dough for a good one up front. My recommendation is the Ares Gear Ranger Belt. Super stiff, awesome quality, hand made in America, lifetime warranty.

Distinguished Member Array kapnketel's Avatar
    I got two of these for free as part of a promotional deal at LA Police Gear. They are worth every penny I paid and not one cent more.

You have a firearm of some value, hopefully a well made holster so do not cheap out now. My EDC belt is the Wilderness Tactical 5 stitch belt. You will get lots of advice on belts, but everyone will say to invest in quality.
    I'd rather be lucky than good any day

There's nothing that will change someone's moral outlook quicker than cash in large sums.

Majority rule only works if you're also considering individual rights. Because you can't have five wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for supper.

I bought one a couple of years ago and it is just OK for me. Does it hold my holster securely? Yes, without a doubt.
    Like sparkykb said, the internal stiffener in mine has broken at the notch I use.
    I also noted that the finish of the leather wore off where the buckle meets the leather after a couple of days making it look pretty bad. I kept it thinking that I always have my shirt untucked which covers it anyway.
    I'll buy a better belt eventually, but I'm working on losing weight and inches now and don't want to invest in another expensive belt until I stop shrinking, then I'll get one that fits properly and is of better quality.

Sounds like I'll steer clear and save a little to get a nicer one
    NRA - Line of Duty Member

SIG P220ST

Next purchase an AR-15 hopefully

Romanr4,
    I've got two of the 5.11 belts, similar to the link sparkykb provided. Mine were free w/ orders. They are part of my mix of holster/casual wear belts. They're clearly not the same quality of my Little Bear Leather or even my Cabela's Double Duty belts, but they've been ok. While they're not garbage, there's no way I'd pay $43 for one. The Cabela's belt is a nice belt for the money (seems like I bought mine on sale for $20-25), but not as nice as a custom belt.

Sponsored Links