OWB carry vs IWB - Page 2

OWB carry vs IWB

This is a discussion on OWB carry vs IWB within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I carry IWB most of the time when off-duty. I don't like to wear oversized shirts. I can conceal and IWB set-up easier. In the ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: OWB carry vs IWB

I carry IWB most of the time when off-duty. I don't like to wear oversized shirts. I can conceal and IWB set-up easier. In the winter months I whack it up between IWB and OWB depending on where I'm going and how I'm dressing.
    Police Defensive Tactics, Firearms, Carbine Rifle and Taser Instructor
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member
    It is better to have your gun and not need it, than to need it and not have it!
    You cannot choose the conditions for a gunfight, so train in all conditions!

Quote Originally Posted by RubenZ View Post
    How can you tuck in a shirt IWB an not see rear of slide etc?
    Shirt is over the gun...between the kydex part of the holster and my pants. Probably prints a little in some positions, but nothing I'm very concerned with. The clips of the holster are all that is visible

sent via iCarry

sgb
    OWB is much more comfortable than IWB. I carry a 5" 1911 OWB at 3 O'clock.
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

It's possible to view this as degrees of concealment. A selection of both handguns and holsters are maintained around here to conform to the manner of dress dictated for the occasion. These include IWB, OWB, and even a few shoulder holsters. None are bothersome and I prefer larger handguns than most.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Quote Originally Posted by RubenZ View Post
    How can you tuck in a shirt IWB an not see rear of slide etc?
    \

Shirt tucks in over gun and under jeans...crossbreed supertuck. Sometimes have a little more printing this way, but nothing I can't live with on the rare occasion that I have my shirt tucked.

OWB is always more comfortable, but the n82 tactical is very close and IWB. It is all I wear now and it even hides a XD tactical. I still get pants in relaxed fit or that have a elastic stretch area. Any gun inside the waist is at least an inch thick plus holster thickness

Sent via Mental Power

IMO, overall OWB is more comfortable, but IWB conceals better. As for speed of draw, I'd say they're about even and it depends on the individual's ability or skill level.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." – Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." – Thomas Jefferson

I have both a Galco Avenger OWB holster and a Galco Summer Comfort IWB holster that I use to carry a full size 1911 in cooler weather when I can wear a cover garment (unbuttoned shirt, hoodie, light jacket, or occasionally a vest). The OWB holster is more comfortable and faster to draw from. The IWB holster is better for concealment with lighter weight cover garments. So what I use depends primarily on the weather and what I am able to wear as a cover garment. I'm considering buying a Miamai Classic II shoulder holster for use on long drives and for when I'm riding my Harley.
    Live to ride, ride to live. Harley Road King And keep a .45 handy Kimber Custom TLE II

I have concealed carried for over 30 years as a citizen, not as a off duty officer. I started with OWB because I did not want to buy a new wardrobe of pants. I use a high quality gun belt, 1 1/4 " and I prefer to use a custom holster non-canted. I wear shirts over my pants or in cooler weather a vest or sweater. I so at times, wear a Walther PPS IWB in a High Noon holster with my shirt tucked over the gun. OWB is very fast - as a part time coin dealer, i wanted to be able to acquire quickly.
    QKShooter likes this.

It all boils down to what you're wearing. If you are wearing a jacket, vest, or untucked shirt, then an OWB may conceal fine (as long as it keeps the butt close enough to your body). For occasions without a jacket when an untucked shirt is not acceptable, then I use a tuckable IWB (CrossBreed SuperTuck, in my case). By blousing the shirt properly, the gun pretty much disappears under a T-shirt, polo, or oxford unless I bend over and the shirt pulls tight against my back.
    Guns don't kill people. Drivers on cell phones do.

Distinguished Member Array BurgerBoy's Avatar
    I carry OWB at 3 o'clock with untucked shirt. Never had any problems with it.
    Vietnam Veteran - 1966-1970 USASA
    Carry Pistol. Gen 3 Glock 23, .40 Cal.
    Carry Pistol. Gen 3 Glock 19, 9mm.
    Bersa Thunder 9 UC Pro, 9mm. Gave To Daughter To Carry.
    Self Defense Stories
    Give me a minute before I post again.

CJM
    This gun, this holster, carried at 3 o'clock with usually just a tshirt as a cover garment. Sometimes I do wear short sleeve button up shirts untucked. When I hear people say OWB doesn't hold the gun close enough to their body, my only conclusion is that they're using a holster that hasn't been molded to fit their shape.

Quote Originally Posted by RonCo View Post
    Your body type has a lot to do with which carry method will work best. A little practice can make IWB just as effective on the draw.
    I agree entirely with this. Being a smaller guy (about 5'9" and only about 155lbs), it is difficult to conceal without printing while wearing a light t-shirt (I bought a Springfield XDS to help with this!). Being as hot and humid as it is here in GA, its almost unbearable to wear anything but a light tee! Another thing that can make a world of difference is the holster. The difference between a cheap pos holster and a good (sometimes maybe pricier) holster - whether IWB or OWB - can be a dramatic difference for concealing.

Personally, I carry OWB and open when I'm at home or at work, and concealed with IWB everywhere else I go. I have a crossbreed OWB and IWB in the mail right now, so we'll see how much the super tuck helps with concealed IWB carry when that comes in.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet."
    -General James Mattis, USMC

I find IWB uncomforable. It is not that I never carry IWB with shorts and a t-shirt I will stick my LCP in a Ramora and away I go. But normally it is my Kahr CM9 in a Hays OWB pancake. Most comfortable IMHO.
    BA
    Kahr CM9, Beretta PX4 SC .40, Ruger LCP/LM, Dan Wesson .357, Beretta 21A .22, Four Aces .22, H&R .22, Marlin .22 rifle and 1946 Remington 12 gauge.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links