OWB carry vs IWB

This is a discussion on OWB carry vs IWB within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have always carried IWB with my SR9c. I am considering switching due the apparent ease of draw with the OWB. Is there really much ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: OWB carry vs IWB

Distinguished Member

OWB carry vs IWB

I have always carried IWB with my SR9c. I am considering switching due the apparent ease of draw with the OWB. Is there really much difference? It would seem OWB would be more likely to print or expose the gun. Gimme some advice from those who carry using this method. Thanks.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by oldnfat View Post
    I have always carried IWB with my SR9c. I am considering switching due the apparent ease of draw with the OWB. Is there really much difference? It would seem OWB would be more likely to print or expose the gun. Gimme some advice from those who carry using this method. Thanks.
    For me the difference is minimal because I use a compact pistol, M&P 9C, and a high ride OWB holster when carrying OWB. The issue between the two has more to do with being able to hide the weapon inside the pants/jeans/shorts/whatever for an IWB whereas you *may* be more likely to expose when carrying OWB. That's been my experience at least.

Your body type has a lot to do with which carry method will work best. A little practice can make IWB just as effective on the draw.

I carried OWB for a short time when I first started carrying but quickly switched to IWB and never looked back. I use a Raven Concealment Phantom for my IWB needs, however that same holster comes configured for OWB carry stock.

I think the major difference in draw time between IWB and OWB will be recognized by people carrying without cover garments such as uniformed LEO's. A person carrying concealed with a cover garment must move the cover before drawing anyways so draw time is already slowed. I would imagine the difference between moving a cover garment and drawing from IWB vs OWB would be measured in milliseconds. I have no times to prove my guesses, but I cannot imagine I could be much faster if my Glock 19 was carried OWB instead of IWB. Even if I was a few milliseconds quicker I don't believe that minute amount of extra speed would be worth the printing issues OWB carry causes for me. I feel a lot less concealed when carrying OWB with my body type and the clothing I wear when compared to IWB. With practice drawing from concealment with a good belt and holster can be very fast with the added benefit of not having to worry about the muzzle of your pistol showing when you reach for your wallet etc.

As always, your mileage may vary and all that. There is a reason everyone doesn't carry the same way. What works well for one may be horrible for another so you have to come to your own conclusions.
    sensei2 likes this.

I've never seen a stop watch in a gun fight. Reality is whatever is most comfortable and concealable for YOU is what you should do. I look at where I am going and what I'll be doing to help me decide which holster works for that day. Prefer OWB by far though for comfort.

Administrator
    I always carry OWB slightly behind the hip. A good gun belt and a high quality leather OWB holster with some forward cant is all that I have ever needed to conceal a Commander size 1911 or a SIG P220.
    I don't recall anybody ever having spotted me printing.
    I think it's the most comfortable form of carry. Of course others will have differing opinions but, I will continue to carry in the manner that works best for me.
    I just carry under an oversize double weight 100% Cotton T-Shirt. I do not own a cover garment vest and have never found one to be necessary.
    I carry every day from the time that I get up until get settled back at home. Often that is around 15 hours more or less.
    I like to be comfortable and forget that I have a firearm on my person until such time as I might need it.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

i don't carry IWB much anymore. i used to, but i now prefer OWB. when carrying IWB, i could always feel the holster being pushed against my body when i tightened my belt. i don't get this feeling with OWB. on the other hand, my IWB gun was a Sig P-229 in a Galco NSA holster. perhaps if i had used a thinner gun, i wouldn't have felt such pressure.

regarding draw speed from under a cover garment, i agree with sparkykb, that the difference in speed between the two types of carry is likely minimal. this is just my impression. i've never done timed drills to compare them.

to the best of my knowledge, no one has ever known that i was carrying regardless of whether it was IWB or OWB.

After seeing mention of vests, I just want to add in that my definition of a cover garment is anything that covers the firearm. For me that is typically a Polo or T-Shirt. I wasn't referring to any type of vest or specialty clothing.

I just never felt like OWB kept the pistol close enough to my body. With an Ares Ranger Belt and RCS holster I think that Glock 19 is as close in to my body as physically possible! lol

I hate IwB! I don't see it concealing any better than OWB as I wear shirts untucked anyway. I also don't like that you have to wear pants bigger than you normally wear causing you to have tighten belt a lot so your pants don't drop
    Glock 20sf, Glock 19 gen4, Glock 26 gen3, Colt 1911 Series 80

Quote Originally Posted by RubenZ View Post
    I also don't like that you have to wear pants bigger than you normally wear causing you to have tighten belt a lot so your pants don't drop
    I've yet to have to buy or wear bigger pants than I normally would and that is carrying a Glock 19 (often with light attached). I do carry my spare mags and flashlight OWB though.

Really? I am a 34" waists but need 36" when I used to be IWB.

A good belt and good holster will make OWB about as effective as IWB. Depending on my shirt my OWB flirts with hanging out the bottom occasionally. There is a bit more printing but I don't worry much about that. If I want it to disappear I carry IWB. Generally I'm not that worried and carry OWB about 99% of the time. I'm 6'1, 215 lbs and carrying a G19 in a leather/kydex beltslide usually under just a t shirt.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

I typically only carry IWB when the gun(s) I choose for a given situation are prone to sticking out below whatever shirt I've chose for the same occasion, or when I have to have my shirt tucked in.

Quote Originally Posted by msc8127 View Post
    I typically only carry IWB when the gun(s) I choose for a given situation are prone to sticking out below whatever shirt I've chose for the same occasion, or when I have to have my shirt tucked in.
    How can you tuck in a shirt IWB an not see rear of slide etc?

IWB or OWB?

Personal choice, and this will mainly revolve around individual attire and dress. I personally think that anyone with a permit should have the choice to conceal or open carry (not opening a debate).
    My state is concealed only (for now). I own about ten IWB holsters and four OWB holsters. My usual attire pretty much dictates I carry IWB for ultimate concealment. Last thing I want is to spread panic and fear as well as avoid being charged with brandishing a weapon in public. Therefore I stick to my methods and I know what works for me and what won't. IWB is more versatile. Comfort? Well.......if you want me to get into one of my special edition full page replies on comfort and concealed carry......................I'm taking it easy today (less thinking and less typing).
    If you couldn't carry comfortably.....would you carry at all? Nobody ever said it would be easy. Finding the best method for you involves time and effort....sometimes dealing with pain, and sometimes changing your attire. Carrying should change your whole life to put things in perspective. Carry on.
    Once and mrkurt like this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links