Holster = Confusion

This is a discussion on Holster = Confusion within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hi all. I am a newbie that needs some help by way of explanation. I do not currently carry, but will be starting that process ...

Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By WoodLark
  • 1 Post By kapnketel

Thread: Holster = Confusion

Holster = Confusion

Hi all. I am a newbie that needs some help by way of explanation. I do not currently carry, but will be starting that process soon. I have read many threads here and I still don't understand all of the options available as far as holsters go. Way too many acronyms to wrap my head around, so I thought you could help. I know many are self explanatory, but I will list them all so I am clear.

IWB
    AIWB
    IWB Tuckable
    IWB Hybrid
    OWB

I have read many times that it's a personal choice, I just need a little knowledge before I start building my holster drawer

Thanks

2. Remove Ads

Picture in your mind a clock around your waist. 12:00 is straight in front, 3:00 is the your right pants seam, 6:00 is your tailbone, and 9:00 is your left pants seam.

IWB = Inside the Waist Band
    Provides good concealment, but may be uncomfortable for some people.
    Usually worn 3:00 - 5:00 for right handers

AIWB = Appendix Inside the Waist Band (as opposed to being worn on the hip)
    Provides good concealment and very natural draw stroke. Some people have a problem with the direction the barrel is pointing.
    Worn 12:00 - 2:00 for right handers. I wear mine at 10:00 - 11:00 (left-handed).

IWB Tuckable = Inside the waist Band, but you can tuck your shirt between the gun and clip instead of having to leave your shirttails out (doesn't work that well in my opinion, but YMMV (Your Mileage May Vary).

IWB Hybrid = Inside waistband with form fitting kydex (plastic) shell mounted to a flat leather backing since some people don't like the feel of kydex against their skin.

OWB = Outside the Waist Band (basically, a belt holster). Usually a little harder to conceal than IWB, but (again usually) more comfortable.
    Often worn at 4:00 - 5:00. When I carry OWB, I carry at about 9:00 (3:00 if you are right-handed).

Hope this helped!
    sid1 and sensei2 like this.
    Earth is the insane asylum of the universe!

Awesome. Thanks for the great detail. That gives me a place to start. IWB for sure.

Best of luck to you. Glad you found us. Confusion is part of it to start. You just have to limit what happens at any given time. Keep it simple. This might be your ultimate test on focus and your mission. Confusion shouldn't end the mission.......it's merely a challenge with a means to an end. End is a three letter word you never speak nor hear so long as you're willing to survive.

Distinguished Member Array kapnketel's Avatar
    And do not be discouraged when you end up with the "drawer of holsters" on the the way to finding the right one for you. Believe me, we all have one.
    sensei2 likes this.
    I'd rather be lucky than good any day

There's nothing that will change someone's moral outlook quicker than cash in large sums.

Majority rule only works if you're also considering individual rights. Because you can't have five wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for supper.

This may help, its a picture, but it was explained perfect a few posts above by Woodlark. Questions
    High Noon Holsters
    www.HighNoonHolsters.com

Cool

^^^^^ THIS ^^^^^^

Check out the High Noon web site. Lots of holsters in all styles.

I carry a Glock 23 AIWB in a High Noon Public Secret holster.

photo.jpgImage 4.jpgImage 3.jpg
    click image to enlarge....

A quality product at a resonable price with all the bells and whistle

OS
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

Here is what I have found, no one holster suits every need for me. Sometimes IWB is good, other times a plain OWB pancake works well. Other times when I need absolute deep concealment, I use ankle holster.
    English is my second language, I have been told my use of it is harsh, apologies if this is the matter.

You know what stops a bad guy with a gun? A good guy with a gun

Links