GEAR REVIEW: Comptac MTAC

This is a discussion on GEAR REVIEW: Comptac MTAC within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was recently in the market for a new holster for my Glock 19, and I chose the Comptac MTAC. This holster has been around ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By WHEC724
  • 1 Post By WHEC724

Thread: GEAR REVIEW: Comptac MTAC

GEAR REVIEW: Comptac MTAC

I was recently in the market for a new holster for my Glock 19, and I chose the Comptac MTAC. This holster has been around for a while, but Comptac updated the MTAC in the last few years so it now does not accept the Generation 1 kydex bodies. I understand that the function of the holster is unchanged.

DESIGN

For those who do not know, the MTAC is a "hybrid" kydex/leather holster that is very similar to the Crossbreed Supertuck. These types of holsters make carrying a bigger pistol (the G19 is certainly more substantial than my M&P Shield) much more comfortable because the leather backing distributes the pressure of the gun over a larger area than conventional clip holsters. Due to an old sports injury, I pinch a nerve in my hip when I carry my Glock in a Galco "Summer Comfort" (Galco's version of the Milt Sparks Summer Special) or in a Remora (a great holster for little guns like the Shield). I have worn the MTAC every waking minute of the last three days, and I have not noticed any pain.

FUNCTIONALITY

I have been wearing this holster at 3:00 even though the manufacturer suggests it be worn at 4:00-4:30, and I have not had many problems. The leather backing can poke my right thigh a bit when I sit down, but it is not uncomfortable or annoying. My only real complaint about the MTAC so far is the retention. This holster is so tight that I cannot draw my gun without pushing against the leather backing with my thumb as I draw the gun. When I attempt to draw the gun just by pulling on the grip, the holster does not give AT ALL and the seam of my pants gets pulled violently into a very sensitive spot. I have the tensioning screws all the way loose, but I still cannot draw without getting squeezed and talking in a very high voice for several minutes afterward.

This holster would be perfect if my retention issues were solved, and I am hoping that it continues to break in. I would appreciate any advice on how to better break in this type of holster, and I hope my review is helpful.

IMG_0981.jpg
    "Though defensive violence will always be a 'sad necessity' in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men." - St. Augustine

2. Remove Ads

Probably has so much retention because your belt is putting so much pressure on it, from wearing it right on your hip. How easy is it to draw the gun out of the holster while your not wearing it?

Give it a few days to break in. If that does not resolve itself, call Comp-Tac. Their customer service is AMAZING!!
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."
    - Roy Batty

It's easy enough to unholster when I am not wearing it, but it still requires more effort than I'd like. I tried moving it back a little on my hip, but that did not help. I think I'm going to give it more time to break in like 357and40 suggested, then call Comptac if my problem isn't resolved.
    "Though defensive violence will always be a 'sad necessity' in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men." - St. Augustine

On the outside of the holster, heat up the funky little impression in the trigger guard little at a time, insert unloaded gun and watch the little dent thing closely to see if it moves outward, if not heat and try again.
    When you do see it move slide the gun in till the front of the trigger guard is pushing on it (forcing it outward) hold for 5 sec, remove gun let cool repeat if necessary.

After looking at the picture closer it may take a time or two (heating it up and moving the little dent out) to get it right, that thing goes in a bunch.

Excellent trigger coverage no gap at all, just the way it should be.

Quote Originally Posted by SlowDown View Post
    On the outside of the holster, heat up the funky little impression in the trigger guard little at a time, insert unloaded gun and watch the little dent thing closely to see if it moves outward, if not heat and try again.
    When you do see it move slide the gun in till the front of the trigger guard is pushing on it (forcing it outward) hold for 5 sec, remove gun let cool repeat if necessary.

After looking at the picture closer it may take a time or two (heating it up and moving the little dent out) to get it right, that thing goes in a bunch.

Excellent trigger coverage no gap at all, just the way it should be.
    Hadn't thought of that. I may do that if I ever use the holster for IDPA.

I did solve my problem the other day. The mechanics of my draw were off. I was pulling the gun out and away from my body, basically fighting the kydex. I have changed my draw so that I pull the gun straight up against my ribs and point out. I made the mistake of doing this with long fingernails, but the gun comes right out. Thanks for everyone's input.

UPDATE: (this thread has been dead for a while and not that anybody cares, so I am updating this for solely for academic reasons)

After pulling the inseam of my pants into that same sensitive area a few more times, I decided to contact Comptac. They told me that the frame of the Glock they used to fit my holster had worn down after being used so many times, and the indentation on the trigger guard was too deep for my gun. Comptac customer support has been excellent so far, and I sent in my MTAC for refitting.

In the mean time, I find that no other holster is satisfactory. My G19 feels thick in my other holsters. Also, nothing else keeps my gun from moving around like the MTAC.

VIP Member
    FWIW, I have the same for my G19 and decided on my own that the trigger guard indentation was too severe, and filed it down myself. It's good to go now.

BTW, I noticed the same problem for a 3" 1911 shell as well.

The MTAC is okay when I absolutely have to tuck. Otherwise, I much prefer the FIST #1A.
    Walden likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by WHEC724 View Post
    FWIW, I have the same for my G19 and decided on my own that the trigger guard indentation was too severe, and filed it down myself. It's good to go now.

BTW, I noticed the same problem for a 3" 1911 shell as well.

The MTAC is okay when I absolutely have to tuck. Otherwise, I much prefer the FIST #1A.
    How much did you have to file off? I may try that on my future kydex holsters. It was also suggested that I heat up the indentation a little and push it out. I figured I would just let Comptac help me out this time.

That FIST looks pretty neat. I have something similar, but with belt loops instead of a clip. Mine rode a little too high though.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Walden View Post
    How much did you have to file off? I may try that on my future kydex holsters. It was also suggested that I heat up the indentation a little and push it out. I figured I would just let Comptac help me out this time.

That FIST looks pretty neat. I have something similar, but with belt loops instead of a clip. Mine rode a little too high though.
    Your decision to let Comptac handle it, is no doubt the wisest. Myself, (not being encumbered by wisdom) rarely take the time to do things right. IRT filing, I just took a little bit of bottom side of the "bump" off, essentially turning it into a 'ramped' shape, vs. a bump. I found that the tension from my belt, even with the screws backed all the way out on the shell, still kept the firearm quite snug, but allowed me to draw with 100% success on every pull. It's a lousy feeling to attempt to draw, and fail.

I wish you could try one of my FIST holsters. The j-clip on a properly-sized belt really holds it in place. The clip is a very sturdy steel, and the stitching in the leather seems equally strong. After several years of hard use, they're still as sturdy as the day I got 'em.
    Walden likes this.

FINAL UPDATE:

I got my MTAC back in the mail last week, and my problem appears to be fixed. It took about 2 weeks from the time I sent in the holster for me to get my MTAC back. They seemed to have replaced the kydex shell, and the bump on the trigger guard is noticeably smaller than on the last shell. The holster draws well, carries well, and is exactly what I expected from Comptac. An MTAC is certainly a good investment if you have $85 burning a hole in your pocket.

I had $85 burning a hole in my pocket about 2 years ago, and I haven't wanted a different IWB holster since getting the MTAC for my G19. The leather did take some break in, but once that was done, it's been a great holster. Glad Comptac took care of you...

Links