My thoughts on important holster features.

This is a discussion on My thoughts on important holster features. within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I get a lot of people that ask me about holsters because they know I'm own SHTF Gear LLC . I try to answer their ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By MNBurl

Thread: My thoughts on important holster features.

Sponsor

I get a lot of people that ask me about holsters because they know I'm own SHTF Gear LLC. I try to answer their questions in a way that's as unbiased as possible. It should come as not surprise that I think my holsters are pretty dang good. So I thought I'd drop a few key points to help anyone who is looking.

-Full Shooting Grip
    If you holster requires you to reposition your hands after you draw in order to safely/accurately fire the weapon you might want to find another holster. There are to many good holsters on the market that allow for a full shooting grip prior to the draw, you shouldn't have to settle. One main problem I see from holsters that limit your ability to grip the handgun is the draw. Its common to see people draw the weapon with their thumb over the back of the slide and over the rear sight, and then readjust after they complete the draw. Two problems arise, first is that in this position you have very little control over the weapon meaning it can be easily dropped, hit from your hand, or taken from you. Second is that if you fire to early and are not prepared the slide is going to recoil into your hand, causing bodily harm and causing you to potentially drop the weapon.

-Access to the Magazine Release
    Some holsters are designed in such a way that limit your ability to change the magazine while the weapon is holstered. This blocking of the magazine release makes it nearly impossible to do a one handed magazine change should that be required and is also likely to cause the magazine to be inadvertently released if you've installed an extended magazine release. Aside from unique trigger guard based magazine releases (think HK and Walther) most magazine releases should be accessible in a properly designed holster.

-Stability
    A proper concealed carry holster should not need to be readjusted in a normal day. If you find yourself adjusting your holster because it slips or shifts around it may not be where you need it when it counts. Additionally, the constant readjustment means you are more likely to draw attention to yourself.

-Trigger Guard Coverage
    This one is a simple, as most holsters on the market adequately cover the trigger guard. Its importance can not be overemphasized. When the handgun is holstered, The trigger should be covered so that it cannot be activated while holstered. This is a critical safety feature.

A pretty short and simple and important list in my opinion, but a set of features that are often overlooked.

Thanks!
    Clay

Good list. I would've included carry angle, one that is appropriate for the position along the belt; and that the holster carry the pistol so the muzzle's not pointed at the wearer while carrying or drawing. There's lots more, of course.

A covered trigger guard is considered a given in contemporary times, because of the popularity of SA autos (as opposed to DA revolvers) such as the 1911s and even the Glock. On the other hand, a covered guard is a double-edged sword, in that a carelessly placed trigger finger can lead to an AD, too. One could argue that a covered guard is NOT necessary on a DA auto, unless one contemplates forgetting to drop the hammer before holstering; at which point one would also wish for a thumbreak that "tells" that the hammer is cocked.
    Red (Richard) Nichols
    "Chief Holster Scientist"

http://www.highnoonholsters.com/Red_.../about_us.html

Distinguished Member Array SCXDm9's Avatar
    Great post! Why would you need to change a mag while still holstered?

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SCXDm9 View Post
    Topping off after firing and re-holstering.
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

VIP Member
    I would add comfortable to the original list.
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by SCXDm9 View Post
    One additional reason is times of injury. If your left hand is severely injured in an altercation, but you need to top off or change mags you will be out of luck unless you've prepared for it and have equipment that supports your technique. Basically in a one handed mag change you holster the weapon (slide open or closed), remove mag, insert new mag, draw the weapon and actuate the slide if required (or drop the slide via the slide release) by a method that works for your handgun. In my case, with a Glock I can either drop the slide with the slide release or I can rack the slide by placing the rear sights on the edge of my holster, drive the gun forward and release if I inadvertently let the slide close on an empty chamber .

Thanks!
    Clay

Quote Originally Posted by SHTFGearLLC View Post
    I get a lot of people that ask me about holsters because they know I'm own SHTF Gear LLC. I try to answer their questions in a way that's as unbiased as possible. It should come as not surprise that I think my holsters are pretty dang good. So I thought I'd drop a few key points to help anyone who is looking.

-Full Shooting Grip
    If you holster requires you to reposition your hands after you draw in order to safely/accurately fire the weapon you might want to find another holster. There are to many good holsters on the market that allow for a full shooting grip prior to the draw, you shouldn't have to settle. One main problem I see from holsters that limit your ability to grip the handgun is the draw. Its common to see people draw the weapon with their thumb over the back of the slide and over the rear sight, and then readjust after they complete the draw. Two problems arise, first is that in this position you have very little control over the weapon meaning it can be easily dropped, hit from your hand, or taken from you. Second is that if you fire to early and are not prepared the slide is going to recoil into your hand, causing bodily harm and causing you to potentially drop the weapon.

Thanks!
    Clay
    Lets Clarify some things for the members, so ride ride height and holster design do not get mixed in together.

If we are talking about design of the holster to allow for a combat grip, the above is true, every holster should have it and I think thats what you are talking about up there.

If we are talking about combat grip after the holster is on then that information in our view is wrong. Outside the pants this does not come into play. Its IWB we are talking about.

There are some folks who want deep concealment and to have that IWB ride so deep the handle is almost at the belt line is perfect for them. With this holsters position you cannot get your entire hand on the gun which means its not a combat grip, but if its our holster, it was designed for a combat grip, just the ride height cancels that feature out. A picture over here High Ride Or Low Ride for the members.

So it really depends on the customer's job intention for the holster. This only applies to IWB holsters.

Other then that a very good post for the members.

Michael

Good explanation High Noon. Holsters are not more than ensuring you pick the right tool for the job.

Oh, btw High Noon, ship my holster already

Good tread and list SHTFgear!

I like the list and would add gun and side protection "Side Guard" for us less skinny folks. One of the reasons I started making my holsters.
    SHTFGearLLC likes this.
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by MNBurl View Post
    Good tread and list SHTFgear!

I like the list and would add gun and side protection "Side Guard" for us less skinny folks. One of the reasons I started making my holsters.
    Agreed!

A cup holder is a must on my list.
    Raleigh... Where Barney comes to Party...

Glock 27 or M&P Shield for every day carry (LCP for deep conceal when necessary)... Glock 23 for the home.

Call me Iggy. Only my mother calls me by my full given name.

Sponsored Links