Shoulder rig for a Sig P238 (Or Colt Mustang I suppose)

This is a discussion on Shoulder rig for a Sig P238 (Or Colt Mustang I suppose) within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm really having the hankering to try a shoulder holster for this cooler weather coming soon (boy, I hope) . I'm looking for an inexpensive ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Shoulder rig for a Sig P238 (Or Colt Mustang I suppose)

Shoulder rig for a Sig P238 (Or Colt Mustang I suppose)

I'm really having the hankering to try a shoulder holster for this cooler weather coming soon (boy, I hope) .

I'm looking for an inexpensive & light weight option. Does anyone have any recommendations for one that will fit the Sig P238 or the Colt Mustang, they are pretty much the same dimensions so I'm assuming they can interchange holsters here...not 100% sure on that.

Any takers?
    Last edited by Foo909; September 6th, 2012 at 05:22 PM.

2. Remove Ads

Galco is well known and Andrews Custom Leather has a model that's different(strap across the back that eliminates tie downs) and I'm considering but it's not inexpensive.
    People who hate shoulder rigs usually go inexpensive and get what they pay for and then have a poor impression of shoulder rigs.
    ericb327 likes this.

If there's a Blackhawk Serpa belt holster available for the Sig 238 (I suspect there is), there's a universal Blackhawk shoulder holster harness available for all their platforms. I've got one for my GLOCK (G19) & find it comfortable in cooler weather. It's not too expensive but isn't cheap. IMHO, going low-budget on a holster is like depending on Winchester White Box ammo for self-defense. I guess it will work, until it...doesn't. And when it doesn't, you'll wish you had spent the extra money.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Quote Originally Posted by ghost tracker View Post
    IMHO, going low-budget on a holster is like depending on Winchester White Box ammo for self-defense. I guess it will work, until it...doesn't. And when it doesn't, you'll wish you had spent the extra money.
    Ah the funny part is I actually have my P238 loaded up with Winchester White Box flat nose FMJ's for self defense at the moment.

Thank you for the suggestion though, I should also have mentioned though I'm only looking for leather or a textile material. I'm in a stage of swearing off kydex for some reason.

Distinguished Member Array ericb327's Avatar
    Plus 1 on Galco.
    For to win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill. (Sun Tzu) The Art of War

https://www.facebook.com/ninja312

My food and product review blog
    http://trualitybarandgrille.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Foo909 View Post
    ...I actually have my P238 loaded up with Winchester White Box flat nose FMJ's for self defense... I'm only looking for leather or a textile material.
    .380 flat-nose FMJ for self-defense? Okay, Uncle Mikes Cross-Harness Horizontal. Check Midway USA.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Yep, .380 HP's seem to get less than adequate penetration. Look it up. Hell even Buffalo Bore recommends you load one hollow point and then the rest as FMJ is any .380. But that's another thread...

Guys I've checked Galco's website for both the P238 and the Mustang, it shows no shoulder holsters available. I originally intended to purchase their "lite" holster but they do not make them for this pistol.

Quote Originally Posted by Foo909 View Post
    Yep, .380 HP's seem to get less than adequate penetration. Look it up...
    No reason for me to look it up. 1st, I've no reason to disbelieve you. 2nd, I don't own a .380. 3rd, you've already explained WHY I don't own a .380.

Fair enough, any other actually helpful responses?

So far nothing has been mentioned that is actually made for a Sig P238 or Mustang.

Quote Originally Posted by Enzo411 View Post
    Galco is well known and Andrews Custom Leather has a model that's different(strap across the back that eliminates tie downs) and I'm considering but it's not inexpensive.
    People who hate shoulder rigs usually go inexpensive and get what they pay for and then have a poor impression of shoulder rigs.
    Spider harnesses also eliminate the need for tie downs....

Op, Kirkpatrick leather can make a VERY nice shoulder holster for any gun out there.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

Take a look at the Kangaroo rigs. I don't use shoulder rigs, but a good friend swears by them.
    KNOWLEDGE: A tomato is a fruit.
    WISDOM: Not putting a tomato in a fruit salad.

I have multiple shoulder rigs for multiple pistols ranging from the leather Galco Miami Vice rig for a Glock 19 to fabric rigs for a S&W PC 629V; but for a small CCW pistol for concealment, I'd be really tempted to explore the kangaroo carry rigs. I've never seen one in person much less tried one; but I have read good things about them and they aren't that expensive.

Kangaroo Carry

Just curious, Why would you want to carry a P238 in a shoulder rig? I'm buying a P238 Scorpion soon and the main reason is it fits in my front pocket so easily. The P238 will replace my LCP so I know I'm good with pocket carry, I carry the LCP literally everywhere. I would like to possibly get a shoulder rig for the SP101 that I put on layaway yeserday though.

BTW, I'm not being critical, I'm asking incase I missing something. I've never shoulder carried before but I think about it often. Could you shoulder carry under a T-shirt?

About the .380 effectiveness, I carry a .380 because thats what I carry everywhere when I rarely carry my 9s, 38s or .357 (soon). I believe the .380 will do its job if I do my job. I'd rather have a .380 than nothing at all.
    I carry a .357mag because no one bickers about the .357mag being "enough".

Quote Originally Posted by Rangersedge View Post
    I have multiple shoulder rigs for multiple pistols ranging from the leather Galco Miami Vice rig for a Glock 19 to fabric rigs for a S&W PC 629V; but for a small CCW pistol for concealment, I'd be really tempted to explore the kangaroo carry rigs. I've never seen one in person much less tried one; but I have read good things about them and they aren't that expensive.

Kangaroo Carry
    The Kangaroo Micro looks like it would be good for outdoor activities like maybe jogging or cycling. I tuck my LCP inside my cycling shorts with a remora "tacky" holster but it doesnt work when i go joggin.

Maybe I just answered my question to the OP.......hmmmm.
    I carry a .357mag because no one bickers about the .357mag being "enough".

Distinguished Member Array ericb327's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hulley View Post
    Just curious, Why would you want to carry a P238 in a shoulder rig? I'm buying a P238 Scorpion soon and the main reason is it fits in my front pocket so easily. The P238 will replace my LCP so I know I'm good with pocket carry, I carry the LCP literally everywhere. I would like to possibly get a shoulder rig for the SP101 that I put on layaway yeserday though.

BTW, I'm not being critical, I'm asking incase I missing something. I've never shoulder carried before but I think about it often. Could you shoulder carry under a T-shirt?

About the .380 effectiveness, I carry a .380 because thats what I carry everywhere when I rarely carry my 9s, 38s or .357 (soon). I believe the .380 will do its job if I do my job. I'd rather have a .380 than nothing at all.
    Shoulder rigs can be very concealable and comfortable. Specially while driving.
    For to win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill. (Sun Tzu) The Art of War

https://www.facebook.com/ninja312

My food and product review blog
    http://trualitybarandgrille.wordpress.com/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links