Shoulder holster recommendations

This is a discussion on Shoulder holster recommendations within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am in and out of vehicles all day and access to my pistol in a VMII isnt to good when seated and belted in. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shoulder holster recommendations

I am in and out of vehicles all day and access to my pistol in a VMII isnt to good when seated and belted in. Dont want to spend big buck to find it wont work for me.I am 5' 8" 155 and dress is flannel shirts and coat in the winter and T shirts and open cover shirt in the summer. I have a 3'', 4" and 5" CDPs but prefer the 4" the most.

DC Founder
    Looking forward to the replies on this one. :yes:

I used two rigs that were OK. First, the old Miami Classic from Galco was very comfortable, especially with the double off side mag pouch, balancing the load. Yes, I bought it after Miami Vice came out. Gave away the Don Johnson coat, though....

The other was a simply Unlce Mikes nylon rig, for my Walther PPK, (long gone), and it was fine. I just don't really like shoulder rigs as they are awkward, unweildy, difficult to draw from, and showy. I go now with strictly strongside carry, unless I have a BUG, which will be stashed anywhere.

Shoulder rigs are my first choice. I have been using them for some time.

1st. I started with an "Uncle Mike's" shoulder rig. I liked it and it worked surprisingly well. They are relatively cheap.

After being convinced that a shoulder rig was the way to go (for me) I decided to invest in a better rig.

I have 3 carry guns and had (over time) bought Uncle Mike's shoulder rigs for all of them.

I bought a leather harness from DeSantis. - Just the harness - not the holster. I actually prefer NYLON for the holster. I simply placed the Uncle Mike's holster and mag holders onto the DeSantis harness. (Along with the tie-downs.)

This works GREAT and allows me to use the comfortable DeSantis harness for ALL my CCWs by just switching the Uncle Mike's Holster! (I have been known to carry two guns that way too!

I THINK this is what I ordered from DeSantis. (I can double check if you are interested.)

http://www.desantisholster.com/a26.html

This lets you "try it out" with an inexpensive nylon set up and add leather later if you like the concept!

Good luck!

(EDITED TO ADD)
    A lot of people do NOT like shoulder holsters and often when I try to buy one the guy at the counter tells me I won't like it and tries to talk me out of it. I find it more comfortable than any other form of carry. Presentation speed is fine. I just think you need to use tie-downs otherwise the gun can shift. - My .02

I have never had a lot of use for sholder rigs.
    I have never liked pointing pistols at myself all that much.

For car carry I just use one of my paddle holsters.

Mike

Mike, I never thought of it that way. Something to think about.

Wonder??

Not sure I want a holster that moves. Where will it be if I am knocked on my butt..or on my face, etc. What if I am running?

One handed presentation and reholster sometimes present problems with shoulder rigs also.

Strong side and weak side hoslter is first, next for me, is a good cross draw holster.

I use a Galco SS2 system and generally carry a Star BM 9mm when plowing snow. IWB just ain't gonna happen with overalls and a heavy coat on! Also, when plowing you spend half your time backing up, and my usual 4:00 IWB position causes discomfort when turning my body to look out the rear window. The system I use is top notch quality wise, but pricey. Of course, it will likely outlast the gun and myself. I can also conceal reasonably well under a heavy sweater with this rig, for times when I can't leave my shirt untucked. Even a sweatshirt is sufficient for concealment.

I also have a lightweight 1/2 harness shoulder rig which conceals a J-frame Airweight nicely under a dress shirt very well. I believe that one is a Bianchi.

The Uncle Mike rigs are typically cheesy (yes I have one), and I hope you won't base your total opinion of shoulder holster rigs based on a nylon and velcro experience. Leather really does make a difference in comfort, etc. Actually, a HUGE difference in my opinion. But, the Uncle Mikes rigs are cheap enough for some experimentation as mentioned earlier.

The biggest concealment issue I have with the Galco SS2 is the wide shoulder straps. A little difficult to conceal at the neckline at times. Most makers offer a thin strap version as well. If you get one and don't like it, there are lots of online forums where you could easily sell it and recoup most of your cost.

Steven

Not sure I want a holster that moves. Where will it be if I am knocked on my butt..or on my face, etc. What if I am running?
    That is why I always use tie-downs. They keep the gun (and mag carrier) in place. That way I always know where the gun is. It helps if you lean forward too.

If you want an inexpensive shoulder rig to see if you like wearing one, check out JagWear. Their balistic nylon shoulder rig with double mag carrier was less than $50 shipped.

Howdy!

Shoulder rigs are really speciality tools - great for pilots, stake out guys, drivers, dig protection types and such - people that spend a great deal of time seated. They have some weaknesses for general carry.

However, having said that, Lou Alessi makes a dynamite shoulder rig called "The Bodyguard." I've got one for my Sig P-220 and absolutely love it. It conceals well, balances nicely and draws very, very well. They are not really expensive either - $125. Overall, it is the best shoulder rig for autos on the market (IMHO).

DC Founder
    Originally posted by Gary Brommeland
    Shoulder rigs are really speciality tools - great for pilots, stake out guys, drivers, dig protection types and such - people that spend a great deal of time seated. They have some weaknesses for general carry.
    I had a Bianchi shoulder holster years ago that I used with a 4" Colt Diamondback in and I liked it for comfort, but always found it was sort of awkward to draw. It carried the gun upside down. Some of the models that carry them at an angle with the muzzle pointing at an angle toward the armpit look like they might solve that problem. But the other problem I found was that it didn't conceal real well. It looked like I had a gun on me. I have never tried another one but I would like to after I finally get settled on in IWB and OWB solution.

I have an uncle mikeís horizontal shoulder holster that I used for my SP101. It worked fine but was somewhat uncomfortable. I wore it under my button down shirt and just left a button open so I could draw it if the need arose. However, I bobbed the hammer on my SP. Without the hammer spur the SP would not stay in the holster even with the retention strap. Since my regular carry holster is a smartcarry and the only drawback with that holster is drawing form a seated position in a vehicle, I decided to experiment with it to see if I could use it as chest holster. The smartcarry is essentially two pouches (one for your weapon and another smaller one for your speedloader/mag) connected to a velcro belt that you wrap around your waist. I place the smartcarry around my upper abdomen loosely with the weapon pouch situated just left of my navel and under my left nipple. Then I used some nylon straps which my SO sewed for me to make a small harness (like suspenders) and clipped these to the smartcarrys ďbelt.Ē Now the weapon is just to the left of my button line on my shirt and itís a cinch to draw from. Again I just leave a button undone and Iím ready to go. Itís much more comfortable than the shoulder holster I used to use. I checked myself in a mirror for printing and had my SO check me also from all sides and there is no indication that Iím carrying.
    I use this rig only in the winter. In the warmer months I use the smartcarry in the conventional manner or I raise it so my grip is just above my belt similar to Mexican carry but with a holster.

I have been in the market for a shoulder holster, and after hours of surfing the net trying to find something negative about the Alessi bodyguard, I found nothing but praise. I have one on order as of last night. I'll post my opinions when it arrives.

Senior Member Array Super Trucker's Avatar
    Rem 700
    Have you considered a cross draw holster, DeSantis makes a nice one. If you are right handed, it rides about 10:00, so it is not hindered by the seatbelt. Sorry to change the subject but I thought this might be an option for you.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links