RE: Favorite Crossdraw Holster

This is a discussion on RE: Favorite Crossdraw Holster within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm looking for a cross draw holster for an SP101. I would like it to be OWB and for left hand draw. I have a ...

Thread: RE: Favorite Crossdraw Holster

RE: Favorite Crossdraw Holster

I'm looking for a cross draw holster for an SP101. I would like it to be OWB and for left hand draw. I have a hard time carrying strong side OWB or IWB due to injuries. Any suggestions would be great. Thanks in advancec for your input.

2. Remove Ads

Whatever you pick, make damn sure it has manual-release retention (re: Bianchi Cyclone). I was taught a valuable lesson by a U.S. Marshal friend who noticed an open-top crossdraw holster under my sports coat. He stepped in front of me and ever so gently tapped my left shoulder with his right hand. When he stepped away, he had my revolver in his left hand! He had so cleanly "picked my pocket" that I wouldn't have known my gun was gone. Crossdraws have their place, but make SURE there's a snap on top. It's embarrassing to lose your gun to slight-of-hand. And it can get you KILLED!
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

How is that any different from someone swiping a gun out of an open top hoster on your strong side from behind, or in front for that matter?

I have a Simply Rugged Tribute Holster

It has the option for both cross draw and strong side. I got mine to OWB carry my SP101, but since it has the long barrel, it looks like a much bigger holster than yours would be if it was for the smaller versions. Rob makes some others for the SP101s, but I went with this one because I specifically wanted the thumb-break. Hope this helps with your decision.
    Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by tet4 View Post
    How is that any different from someone swiping a gun out of an open top hoster on your strong side from behind, or in front for that matter?
    With a crossdraw, the handgun is already in the "natural draw" orientation for a grab facing/talking to you.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Mitch Rosen once again.

Distinguished Member Array Rexster's Avatar
    I have a most excellent horsehide Kramer Vertical Scabbard, with the crossdraw angle, for an SP101? I normally wear it in the "appendix" postition, rather than crossdraw. I hear you, regarding injuries. My bad shoulder still allows me to draw from the 0300-0330 hip area well enough, but if wearing a wrist brace, appendix or crossdraw definitely work better. There are also situations where elbow room is limited, such as inside a vehicle, and some searing arrangements inside buildings, where appendix or crossdraw facilitates the drawing motion.

I also have a left-hand Haugen crossdraw, made for the Colt Magnum Carry, that fits an SP101 just fine, that I acquired pre-owned. I am not sure of the exact model, or if Haugen is still in business.

Don't laugh now but any of my Fobus Paddle holsters, I switch it over to wear as a cross draw. works great.

Links