Carrying at work

This is a discussion on Carrying at work within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am just trying to figure out and get some opinions on how y'all carry at work. I just recently purchased a UM Ankle Holster ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Carrying at work

Carrying at work

I am just trying to figure out and get some opinions on how y'all carry at work. I just recently purchased a UM Ankle Holster for my LCP due to the fact that I sit at a desk/repair bench for 85-90% of my day, and I bought it thinking it would be great (which it has been great and is very comfortable). I also have a LCR with a Crossbreed and have a XDS with a Crossbreed on the way, and also a bunch of full size 1911s and so forth but those are basically out of the question. My question is do you think an ankle holster is best for this?

The owner of the company I work for is very pro gun and has actually asked the few of us to carry. A couple options I have is; I could wear my LCR like I do when not at work, but I found out I print pretty bad in the athletic polos we have to wear at work and alot of the women here freak at the thought of a gun near them, I have thought about pocket carry but just don't really to do that while wearing jeans. Any input is appreciated.

2. Remove Ads

I carry the same way I always do with the exception of wearing a Columbia vest to help with the clingy shirts I have to wear at work. GLOCK 19 in a CBST at about 3:15. I am on my feet mostly but do sit now and then, get in and out of vehicles, reach for stuff on shelves, pick up stuff, etc.
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

VIP Member
    I carry at work.

It depends on whats going on the set up can change. I wear a low cut boot (ankle high) The Fobus ankle holster works well with my 638 S&W and PPK/S but if you wear a regular shoe it slides down on your foot. The PPK/s is a bit heavy on the ankle compared to the Smith Airweight.

I go with the IWB and my LC9 75% of the time.

If I wear a suit and jacket ( sport coat) I use one of my should rigs. My favorite way to carry.

If you have people that get nervous when you are carrying, and you are sitting, does you pant leg ride up while sitting exposing you firearm?
    ArmyMan likes this.
    No trees were harmed in the construction of this post. However a large number of electrons were indiscriminately aroused.

Quote Originally Posted by txron View Post
    If you have people that get nervous when you are carrying, and you are sitting, does you pant leg ride up while sitting exposing you firearm?
    No not at all, I usually have on my 6" zip ups from when I get off of my other job.

Quote Originally Posted by imowgrass View Post
    No not at all, I usually have on my 6" zip ups from when I get off of my other job.
    If the holster is comfortable and functional, then I say use it. If you wear it for a while and find it is not working for you, then you can change. I wish I can carry at work, but our company policy forbids all firearms.
    No trees were harmed in the construction of this post. However a large number of electrons were indiscriminately aroused.

Welcome to the forum.

As you probably already know, Tennessee is an open carry state. Equal oppurtunity aside, if it is legal and your boss is pro carry then do what is most comfortable for you. As long as it does not cause a distraction or confrontation your not in the wrong and uless you push it I dont see any case that thoes employees could build against you for harrasment. Tennessee is also an at will employment state if they really have a problem.

That being said, I am not one to intentionaly make my peers uncomfortable and kudos if your taking yours in to consideration. As far as best methods to carry, its still new to me so I cant offer much advice. Im not allowed to carry in my office (ambulance) anyways.
    "The thing about quotes on the internet is that you can not confirm their validity."
    -Abraham Lincoln

"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky. dangerous animals."
    -Agent K

Quote Originally Posted by Ionracas View Post
    Im not allowed to carry in my office (ambulance) anyways.
    Yeah I am in the same boat(or truck haha) on my other job. Our policy is no on that also.

You could always get a apex holster for your LCP. Probably wouldn't print as much. Otherwise I would recommend using a holster that is not only comfortable for you, but also one that you practice with. No use in a ankle holster "if" you only practice with a IWB holster.
    If you wish for peace, prepare for war.

Well I guess if you can't conceal very well with IWB along with your attire, then I would imagine that an ankle holster is better than nothing. To me, the ankle area is a great place for a BUG by not my primary choice for my only CCW. But it is also a great place for a primary weapon if that is your only option that you feel comfortable with as far as concealment. I say go for it but you are the only one who knows all of what you wear and what your comfort level is.
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

In work attire, I carry my LC9 in a Fobus ankle holser. I like to buy my pants a little long so that when I sit down it doesn't expose my holster unless I cross my legs. Wearing black socks helps keep the bottom of the holster hidden for when the pants leg rides up a little when I'm sitting. I have seen other holsters that have a loop around the leg right below the knee that holds the pistol up a little higher off the ankle. Although that would be easier to conceal, it will make it more difficult to draw quickly.

Do I think an ankle holster is best for this? No, not for a primary gun carry, only for a backup IMO. Its slower to draw than IWB or pocket carry. Also if there isn't anything other than tension holding the gun in the ankle holster (like my Fobus), if you run or get in a fight the pistol can fall out of the holster. I have tried a light jog wearing my Fobus and the LC9 stayed in place, but I have read someone elses story (LEO backup gun) that he was running and the pistol fell out and skidded on the road.
    "I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery." - Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by imowgrass View Post
    I am just trying to figure out and get some opinions on how y'all carry at work. I just recently purchased a UM Ankle Holster for my LCP due to the fact that I sit at a desk/repair bench for 85-90% of my day, and I bought it thinking it would be great (which it has been great and is very comfortable). I also have a LCR with a Crossbreed and have a XDS with a Crossbreed on the way, and also a bunch of full size 1911s and so forth but those are basically out of the question. My question is do you think an ankle holster is best for this?

The owner of the company I work for is very pro gun and has actually asked the few of us to carry. A couple options I have is; I could wear my LCR like I do when not at work, but I found out I print pretty bad in the athletic polos we have to wear at work and alot of the women here freak at the thought of a gun near them, I have thought about pocket carry but just don't really to do that while wearing jeans. Any input is appreciated.
    Ok time to hear more crap from the haters....

I'm a carpenter, residential remodeling. I carry without anyone's knowledge. I use SmartCarry or a pocket holster for my S&W 642.

Yes yes this means I don't have my bosse's permission, and yes this means I don't have the homeowner's permission, either. It doesn't exactly come up in conversation. No one asks, I don't tell, and I ace the "keep it holstered" test every time. My motivation isn't to disrespect, but survive.

If your work setting is more agreeable to firearms, however, I would strongly recommend you carry in a place where you can draw quicker from...not the ankle. Pant pocket is good, cross-draw if you sit a lot. A shoulder rig if you wear a sport coat is a great way, also. The Men's Warehouse is pretty good at tailoring a jacket around your shoulder rig.

Quote Originally Posted by ArmyMan View Post
    Ok time to hear more crap from the haters....

I'm a carpenter, residential remodeling. I carry without anyone's knowledge. I use SmartCarry or a pocket holster for my S&W 642.

Yes yes this means I don't have my bosse's permission, and yes this means I don't have the homeowner's permission, either. It doesn't exactly come up in conversation. No one asks, I don't tell, and I ace the "keep it holstered" test every time. My motivation isn't to disrespect, but survive.

If your work setting is more agreeable to firearms, however, I would strongly recommend you carry in a place where you can draw quicker from...not the ankle. Pant pocket is good, cross-draw if you sit a lot. A shoulder rig if you wear a sport coat is a great way, also. The Men's Warehouse is pretty good at tailoring a jacket around your shoulder rig.
    Haters of what LOL? There is no issue here except a man asking for advice. He said his boss is pro gun and wants them to carry.

Don't get all steamed up about nothing. Most of your post seemed to be more about your personal anger than giving advice to this gentleman.

OP: sounds like you have a good boss. Sit down with him and ask what he thinks is good and does not print too much (for his satisfaction). I agree with Army man that you should pick a better place. IWB could work if done right.
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

Distinguished Member
    Try one of those "athletic polos" in a larger size?
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    The Second Amendment *IS* Homeland Security
    --------------------- Μολὼν λαβέ ----------------------

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links