Got bored today. Looking for opinions/suggestions.

This is a discussion on Got bored today. Looking for opinions/suggestions. within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Just finished a holster project for my Beretta, but after adding a little color to it, I'm not sure if I like it or not. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Got bored today. Looking for opinions/suggestions.

Question Got bored today. Looking for opinions/suggestions.

Just finished a holster project for my Beretta, but after adding a little color to it, I'm not sure if I like it or not.

Thought I'd get some opinions before I undertake another one, or find out if I can change the color even though I have already applied a dye to the leather. I'm now thinking I would have rather had gone with black instead of the Saddle Tan, or just left it natural. I guess I should have thought it through a little more before I did it, but oh well.

Here's a couple of pics of before and after of each, whatcha think.

Here's what it looks like now.

Thanks for any tips or advice!
    rigel42 likes this.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar
    I would use a color that would blend in with whatever clothing you wear. I typically go with either black or whatever color that bottom one is.
    gottabkiddin likes this.
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

Looks good to me. One thing,it well change color after you wear it for a time. Just my $.02.
    gottabkiddin likes this.
    NRA PATRON LIFE
    BROWN WATER NAVY

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Nice! The yellow was a bit loud for my taste.
    gottabkiddin likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Avatar is OldVet from days long gone. Oh, to be young again.
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

VIP Member
    Looks great to me GTBK!

I like the color of the finished product.
    Did you make it from scratch?
    gottabkiddin likes this.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Looks perfectly fine in the brown. I wish I had your talent....would save a fortune in holsters.
    gottabkiddin likes this.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

Grandma always used to say "an idle mind is the devil's workshop". At least in this case, you did something that turned out really good looking. Well done.
    gottabkiddin likes this.

FWIW, black can be tough. It's one of those colors that really has to come out even to look good. I don't use dye on my holsters, I vinegroon them. It's a bit of a complicated and time consuming process but it turns the leather black instead of dying it black. If you have not sealed it you could probably go darker, but you might want to consider doing something like an antiqued look. Maybe rubbing a darker brown over that but letting it take a more weathered look. Or, since it's IWB just not fool with it.

If you have sealed it you should be able to remove some or most of it with denatured alcohol. Then you could re dye it.

BTW, is that artificial sinew for the stitching?
    gottabkiddin likes this.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

Depends on your clothing colors and whether you'd prefer it to blend in. I think it looks great.

IMO, black or cordovan tend to be more attractive, but that's with the guns and particular clothing I've had. Were I to be a cowboy or rancher and frequently dressed in dusty leathers, I might well think differently about holster coloring. (Almost certainly, I'd think differently about a lot of things: sheep, muckin' out stables, spirited stallions, and the "o'dark:30" watch, to name a few.)
    gottabkiddin likes this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

VIP Member
    Good looking well-made holster and I do prefer the brown but being an IWB who is going to see what color it is anyway.
    gottabkiddin likes this.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Thanks guys, I appreciate all the comments and input.... I know it's only been a few hours, but the color is starting to become less of an issue for me the more I look at it. Besides, as it's been said already, it's a IWB holster and it's not going to be a show piece or anything, just something to carry my Beretta in. I think I'll start on a OWB one now and make that one black. I have a few others that I bought already with my Beretta, but it'll make a nice weekend project. Anyway, thanks again for the comments.

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by chiefjason View Post
    BTW, is that artificial sinew for the stitching?
    Not sure. I got it at the Tandy leather store. All I know is, it's supposed to be waxed nylon threading.. Thanks for the input on the color. I'll be looking into the color method you described and see what that's all about. I'm afraid I'm just a weekend warrior and not very knowledgeable with leather craft. YouTube, here I come.... Thanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by oneshot View Post
    Looks great to me GTBK!I like the color of the finished product.Did you make it from scratch?
    Thanks my friend. Yes, totaly made for scrap leather. I was looking online for a new IWB holster and saw something similar and really liked the adjustable cant on that one, so I thought I'd try to make one like it with some scrap leather I had laying around. Turned out pretty well as far as use goes, but could have been a little nicer looking I think, but again, I'm no leather craftsman.
    oneshot likes this.

I think it looks nice. I like the color, too.

When I was dabbling a little into holster making, the pros advised to use a base color like brown to get a richer, darker black. I suppose it's a layer to help subdue the yellow of the natural leather from showing through.

Sent from my Galaxy S2
    gottabkiddin likes this.
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

Looks pretty good. Make sure you seal it or that dye will stain your britches. Guaranteed.

Holster making is an art. Used to make them, but I now leave that to those who have that mythical concept called "spare time."

Two boys will keep you hopping.

Stick with it. You show promise.
    gottabkiddin likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links