Women, how do you carry?

This is a discussion on Women, how do you carry? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I finally convinced the GF that she needs to start carrying on her own. She has always considered her cell phone and the police to ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Women, how do you carry?

Women, how do you carry?

I finally convinced the GF that she needs to start carrying on her own. She has always considered her cell phone and the police to be "enough" protection and me and my carry gun enough when I am around. Finally convinced her that it doesn't make sense to rely on me being there with my gun, but rely on the response time of law enforcement when I am not there. She just purchased herself a Bersa Thunder 380 cc at the gun show today and she is trying to figure out the best way for her to carry it. She dresses in loose enough clothing most of the time that she should be fine with a decent IWB holster or even an OWB holster with certain clothing. She is also interested in carrying it in her purse, as she usually carries a large enough purse for the gun to stay completely concealed but still be easily accessible.

Interested in how the women on this forum carry, what they carry and any suggestions they may have that I can pass along to her. She is plenty familiar with firearms and gun safety, but has zero experience with carrying a gun and I realize I can only give her so much information as what works for me and how I dress is not going to do much good for how she dresses.

2. Remove Ads

Though I am not a women, I wanted to let you know incase you were unaware that there are purses specifically designed for this. A gun shop about an hour from me sells them. Worth looking into imo.

Look up Faliaphotography on You Tube. She has some really good videos on this subject.
    Ionracas and Lish like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Vlad883 View Post
    Look up Faliaphotography on You Tube. She has some really good videos on this subject.
    I carry a Ruger LCP at about 3:30/4:00 in a CB Super Tuck, but faliaphotography is a veritable encyclopedia of female carry options, and she'll be able to get a visual of how each option can be used with different styles of clothing.

I carry on-body only, usually IWB. Here's the female carry reference thread with lots of reference info to check out:
    The Official Female Carry Reference Thread
    Congrats to your GF!
    :)
    Last edited by MrsHB; September 23rd, 2012 at 09:17 PM. Reason: Changed 'wife' to 'GF' (oops)
    limatunes likes this.
    "...people who carry a gun understand that they are arming themselves against a very unlikely event... People who arm themselves are not confused about the odds. They are concerned about the stakes. -Kathy Jackson
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by 031131 View Post
    Though I am not a women, I wanted to let you know incase you were unaware that there are purses specifically designed for this. A gun shop about an hour from me sells them. Worth looking into imo.
    Speaking for my wife i would say to avoid purse carry. My wife purse carries 1 percent of the time if that. She has always been able to carry on her person unless at the beach :)
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

My wife uses a flashbang holster:
    Flashbang Holsters - Home

In my opinion, the best website you can visit regarding women and firearms is Cornered Cat:
    www.corneredcat.com
    It's tailored for women, but I've learned a lot on it, also.
    Carry everywhere it's legal.

“Never bring a knuck buck to a gunfight.” d0nturner, ohioccwforums.org

I have two ccw carry purses. No one on the net, that I have found show good enough pics or description rather that be sites or you tube of the things that really matter to a woman about a purse. If she would like pics of my two purses I would be more than happy to email them to you. I won't waste peoples time posting them here. Because a purse should be carried cross body a long strap is very important. It is hit or miss unless you can see them. I like the two I have but I want one bigger lol. Bigger cost way bigger money so it has to wait lol. I put my sr9c with extended mag in mine and it fits fine.

I also use a belly holster. Some places they are called corset holsters. Very nice under a shirt.

I have yet to find a nice way to carry on my person so there isn't a lump where the gun is and I already wear a shirt two sizes to big when I can. The belly holster is the best I have found so far. I am still looking but I don't have the money to have a " drawer of holsters" that I can't use.

Like with any holster, if she chooses to use a purse she is going to have to practice pulling her gun out of it just like she would if she carried on body.
    Our House Is Protected By The Good Lord And A gun. You Might Meet Both Of Them If You Show Up Inside My House Uninvited.

Distinguished Member Array XD 45's Avatar
    I would talk to limatunes if she is still around
    XD .45, Glock 23, Mossberg 590A, M&P 15 Rossi 641, RIA 1911

If You Want To Know The Mind Of A Man Listen To His Words

Most of the time I carry a LCP in a crossbreed minituck at about 4:30. I also love my Remora holster and carry in the same spot. I haven't had to alter my clothing much at all to carry IWB, I found placement and holster helped the most with concealing on body.
    I bought a carry purse on Ebay, but that isn't my preferred method of carry...I just felt it necessary to have one if I can't carry on body. I feel a carry purse is better than using a regular purse so the gun is in a holster attached to the purse, always in the same spot and not mixed up with all the junk us women have in our purses.
    I bought an ankle holster, also not preferred carry method...but with all the styles of women's clothing I wanted options. I haven't used it yet, so I don't know how I will like it...probably won't lol.

I agree with the above suggestions on YouTube videos and sites, those were very helpful to me.

Distinguished Member
    My girlfriend also carries in a flash bang holster. Was carrying a TCP, just upgraded to a LCP w/crimson trace. She likes it and says it pretty comfortable.

She said she definitely wants an OWB holster for winter when her dress attire will allow it. Said she even wants to carry the M&P 40c OWB
    ericmt likes this.
    The stupidity of some people NEVER ceases to amaze me.

G19 AIWB

Quote Originally Posted by ericmt View Post
    My wife uses a flashbang holster:
    Flashbang Holsters - Home

In my opinion, the best website you can visit regarding women and firearms is Cornered Cat:
    www.corneredcat.com
    It's tailored for women, but I've learned a lot on it, also.
    So does my wife... She's very comfortable with that system. She also carries in a Remora. Her carry is (S&W 642)..
    Doug;}
    RSO, WA. XDMc 9mm, S&W 642CT & 442 38 sp, 1947 Savage 99 300,
    1972 Marlin 336 RC .35, 1922 Walther Model 4, 1933 Walther DSM 34, High Standard 1954 22LR

I prefer to be judged by 12 then carried by 6

My wife uses a fanny pack more than any other method.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

I carry an XDsc IWB with a Crossbreed Supertuck.

When I first started carrying, I had an LC9 that I either carried IWB in a Crossbreed MiniTuck or with a Flashbang

I switch between three. One is the purse....hubby got mine from here:Handbags
    I use it mainly when Hubby and I are going out and I am dressed more formal. One has to have a tactic already worked out. Mine is a shoulder bag and I put it around my neck also and have the zippered compartment so my right hand can be on the weapon when walking out like to a parking lot. My Ruger SP 101 is the one usually with that.

Second is the Ruger LCP (Raspberry/Black) witch I carry in my jeans front pocket with pocket holster. Usually when shopping alone or casual wear.

Third is a fanny pack with either of them when working around the yard or in the garage. Special zippered compartment for the weapon.

I don't use a on body holster because of my arthritis.

All these methods have been thought out and tactics practiced. Hope this helped.
    A woman must not depend on protection by men. A woman must learn to protect herself.
    Susan B. Anthony
    A armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one has to back it up with his life.
    Robert Heinlein

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links