No-clip holsters really a responsible choice?

This is a discussion on No-clip holsters really a responsible choice? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Had Remora and found I liked Sticky Holsters better simply because they are thinner and more comfortable against the skin. I don't like holsters with ...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: No-clip holsters really a responsible choice?

Distinguished Member
    Had Remora and found I liked Sticky Holsters better simply because they are thinner and more comfortable against the skin. I don't like holsters with clips as I have a hard time getting them on and off. I can just slide my Sticky into place and I go. And, it actually helps me hold UP my pants instead of working against me like a clipped holster. It is also way easier to take off to use the restroom. So, I use a Sticky exclusively.
    EDC - Glock 36 OR Glock 30, Ruger LC9, OR Ruger SR1911 CMD AND
    Ruger LCP in Desantis Pocket Holster (backup)
    Member - SAF, OFF,
    NRA Life Member

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by accessbob View Post
    Had Remora and found I liked Sticky Holsters better simply because they are thinner and more comfortable against the skin. I don't like holsters with clips as I have a hard time getting them on and off. I can just slide my Sticky into place and I go.
    - How much thinner is the Sticky Holster?
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the outcome of the vote." ~ Benjamin Franklin

Those of us who are thicker about the mid-section often find that a heavy gun belt, as is required for pretty much clip style IWB holster, can be downright uncomfortable for extended wear, especially when sitting / driving. I tried a Remora for my Sig P238 and there's simply no going back. It's extremely comfortable, completely stable (stays where you put it) and wonderfully flexible (can be worn in any IWB position with any amount of cant). I tried one for my 4" XD-40 and guess what.... Same results!
    I have complete faith in Remora holsters and simply would not be able to carry every day without one.
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    The Second Amendment *IS* Homeland Security
    --------------------- Μολὼν λαβέ ----------------------

I don't think it would work well for me an my heavier 1911 platform I carry, not to mention I don't like to cinch my belt so tight my feet turn purple. It may work for some, but not this guy.

Quote Originally Posted by smolck View Post
    I don't think it would work well for me an my heavier 1911 platform I carry, not to mention I don't like to cinch my belt so tight my feet turn purple. It may work for some, but not this guy.
    You might be surprised.. I can carry a 2 pound XD-40 inside drawstring sweatpants with no foot discoloration :)
    The Second Amendment *IS* Homeland Security
    --------------------- Μολὼν λαβέ ----------------------

Quote Originally Posted by smolck View Post
    You do not have to cinch the belt any more than with any other IWB holster. I also wear mine with just a drawstring in gym shorts or sweat pants with no issues.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

“Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny”
    Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by accessbob View Post
    Had Remora and found I liked Sticky Holsters better simply because they are thinner and more comfortable against the skin. I don't like holsters with clips as I have a hard time getting them on and off. I can just slide my Sticky into place and I go. And, it actually helps me hold UP my pants instead of working against me like a clipped holster. It is also way easier to take off to use the restroom. So, I use a Sticky exclusively.
    I also prefer the Sticky, but because of the way it is cut rather than it being a lot thinner. With the sticky, I find it easier to get a proper grip on the gun when drawing.
    Earth is the insane asylum of the universe!

Quote Originally Posted by SnoMan97 View Post
    You do not have to cinch the belt any more than with any other IWB holster. I also wear mine with just a drawstring in gym shorts or sweat pants with no issues.
    Quote Originally Posted by whoppo View Post
    You might be surprised.. I can carry a 2 pound XD-40 inside drawstring sweatpants with no foot discoloration :)
    I am intrigued, since I jog/walk a mile each day and my current rig would make you laugh. I wear my belt over my t-shirt with my OWB holster, then pull up my sweat shorts (thus creating an "IWB") and an over shirt. I feel silly like that. Maybe I'll try one. Not that expensive are they>

I don't like Remora holsters, don't consider them that reliable, and don't use anything that's not attached to the belt or something.
    That's my choice, and one I plan to stick with.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tokerblue View Post
    - How much thinner is the Sticky Holster?

EDC - Glock 36 OR Glock 30, Ruger LC9, OR Ruger SR1911 CMD AND
    Ruger LCP in Desantis Pocket Holster (backup)
    Member - SAF, OFF,
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by Eagleks View Post
    I don't like Remora holsters, don't consider them that reliable, and don't use anything that's not attached to the belt or something.
    That's my choice, and one I plan to stick with.
    - What wasn't reliable about it?
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the outcome of the vote." ~ Benjamin Franklin

accessbob, thanks for the pictures. Do you know if the RFT Remora has a thicker top than the normal one?

Quote Originally Posted by RugerSRGuy View Post
    You sit down to pee? Why can't you just unzip your fly and use a urinal. That leaves your waist still buttoned and belted holding your rig in place throughout the whole piss. Dumps on the hand..... That wouldn't really work through an unzipped fly.
    Not all of us can unzip the fly and use a urinal

When I first heard of clipless holsters, I wouldn't have considered trying one. However, I've read so many testimonials here over the last few months I do plan on getting one to try. Even if I just used it for kicking around the house, if it works as well as I've read, it'd be well worth it.
    bigmacque likes this.

I was skeptical of the Remora too, until I tried one. Like everything else, it has it's pros and cons... and like everything else, it has a failure rate higher than "0%".

Overall, I like mine. Does that make me irresponsible? :)
    "...people who carry a gun understand that they are arming themselves against a very unlikely event... People who arm themselves are not confused about the odds. They are concerned about the stakes. -Kathy Jackson
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by WoodLark View Post
    I also prefer the Sticky, but because of the way it is cut rather than it being a lot thinner. With the sticky, I find it easier to get a proper grip on the gun when drawing.
    The normal Remora cut does interfere with getting a full grip when drawing. Remora also has an option on every holster called Artemis cut (ART) that gives a full grip on the draw. I ordered the first one out of ignorance and they allowed me to exchange it for an ART cut. Remora customer support is outstanding.
    "I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery." - Thomas Jefferson

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links