No-clip holsters really a responsible choice? - Page 4

No-clip holsters really a responsible choice?

This is a discussion on No-clip holsters really a responsible choice? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by tokerblue accessbob, thanks for the pictures. Do you know if the RFT Remora has a thicker top than the normal one? The ...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: No-clip holsters really a responsible choice?

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tokerblue View Post
    accessbob, thanks for the pictures. Do you know if the RFT Remora has a thicker top than the normal one?
    The RFT is a little thicker than the non-RFT Remora because it has the material at the top which holds the holster open. But it isn't a lot. If I still had a non-RFT Remora I would have included the pics for that as well, but I don't.
    EDC - Glock 21C, M&P Shield .40 OR Ruger SR1911 CMD AND
    Ruger LCP in Desantis Pocket Holster (backup)
    Member - SAF, OFF,
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by SnoMan97 View Post
    When I use a public restroom I just unzip and do my business. No need to loosen the belt, unbutton, and drop the pants unless there is more to do. In that case, whatever holster I use, the firearm is removed and either placed on the TP dispenser or right into my dropped pants.
    When a Remora holster is placed IWB the retension is equal to my leather OWB holster. I could stand on my head and not lose my pistol. The chances of the weapon or holster scuttling across the floor, at least in my case, are zero. That said, I am looking into getting a Side Guard Minimal Snap or Minimal Clip. Not because I don't like the Remora. I just want to try out the leather holster to see if I like it better.
    I have both a Remora and a Minimal Clip for my 9c. The Side Guard holster is excellent! It can be angled when sitting in the car, yet it's secure and predictable. I did some draws from it today at the range, and I had no problems. I recommend it! I like my UBG Regulator as well.

I have RFT with sweat shield. It works great.

I have one and really like it. Everything goes great unless you have to undo your britches to go to the bathroom. Zipper fly no problem but button fly is a problem for me.

I like the Remora for quick trips ect. I only like the reinforced without sweat shield. IMO the Remora feels more bulky than my UBG Becker.
    But for the Remora I trust it fully to hold my pistol and not fall out. If you wear a belt if will secure the gun easily.Just feels tighter in my pants than the Becker.
    But for the $$ its a good holster for someone who doesn't want to spend $$$ JMO/JME

I wouldn't want a pistol on me in any holster if I am roughhousing on the floor with my kids.
    I guess you would want your gun to go flying if you are in a death struggle with a bad guy?
    English is my second language, I have been told my use of it is harsh, apologies if this is the matter.

You know what stops a bad guy with a gun? A good guy with a gun

Distinguished Member Array bigmacque's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by smolck View Post
    I don't think it would work well for me an my heavier 1911 platform I carry, not to mention I don't like to cinch my belt so tight my feet turn purple. It may work for some, but not this guy.
    This is kind of true, I don't use a Remora for my full sized guns like my 1911 or the big Model 66 -- which I don't wear anyway because if I wore that I'd want it OC and OWB in a big fancy leather rig that made the whole rig look like a $1M.

But I do use a Remora with my SA Micro-Compact GI.45 and it works just fine. I've worn it walking, working, weeding and waiting and it works just fine. I do also use the Remora as a pocket holster in my cargo shorts, it works as well as or better than any pocket holster at usually half the price.

I do have to add: I'm concerned about the wording of the title of the post, regarding 'responsibility.' That doesn't seem quite right.
    I'm in favor of gun control -- I think every citizen should have control of a gun.
    1 Thess. 5:16-18

Quote Originally Posted by bill35738 View Post
    what does everybody else use the regular or renforced top?
    I actually have several of both, as I use this holster differently depending on what I'm wearing. When it's between my belt and my skin I wear reinforced with the sweat shield; when I have it in the pocket of my cargo pants I use a non-reinforced with no sweat shield. For less than $80 I have two holsters for the same gun that serve two different purposes.
    I'm in favor of gun control -- I think every citizen should have control of a gun.

Quote Originally Posted by Lish View Post
    Not all of us can unzip the fly and use a urinal

When I first heard of clipless holsters, I wouldn't have considered trying one. However, I've read so many testimonials here over the last few months I do plan on getting one to try. Even if I just used it for kicking around the house, if it works as well as I've read, it'd be well worth it.
    Good point. I would like to hear some more female opinions on this actually. I would think that the clipless might make it easier for a woman than a clipped on rig, but obviously I would not know that personally.

Just do what I did to this DeSantis Super Fly pocket holster... Works perfectly and no worries about it sliding on down the leg at the worst possible moment.

bigmacque likes this.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." – Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." – Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by _Hawkeye_ View Post
    I guess you would want your gun to go flying if you are in a death struggle with a bad guy?
    Is there proof somewhere that this has happened with a Remora or Sticky holster? Maybe you can provide the link for us irresponsible carriers.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

“Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny”
    Thomas Jefferson

VIP Member Array Civil_Response's Avatar
    Is there proof somewhere that this has happened with a Remora or Sticky holster? Maybe you can provide the link for us irresponsible carriers.
    I don't think you can honestly deny that a holster that uses friction for retention can't come out during a scuffle... one odd movement and your pants could easily loosen up, not to mention something (a hand for example) shoving it loose. Furthermore, these aren't 'gun specific' holsters and rely on pressure for retention, not a molded impression, so there is really nothing holding your gun in the holster other than elastic, a belt, or draw string around your waist.

Like I mentioned earlier in this thread, I've read about 2 cases where someone's gun came out their pant leg, one at a grocery store the other at a Walmart - those are just the public one's I've seen, how many people has it happened to that won't post it in a public forum?

Heck, I'm one of them (until now)... mine has come loose while at home (both the Remora and Sticky holster). That's why I do not wear them IWB anymore (I actually returned the Remora's I had), there's a reason my good holsters cost me ~$100. As far as the reinforced Remora, I found a quality custom made holster is actually less bulky, and works better - so what's the point?

This is a hot firearm folks... I see no reason to cut corners in this area. If it works for you, great... but let's not try and pretend there are no drawbacks, it isn't magic how they work and they do not defy gravity or have any fixed mounting point whatsoever.
    Last edited by Civil_Response; September 26th, 2012 at 02:10 PM. Reason: Grammatical Errors
    gottabkiddin likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Thunder71 View Post
    Furthermore, these aren't 'gun specific' holsters and rely on pressure for retention, not a molded impression, so there is really nothing holding your gun in the holster other than elastic, a belt, or draw string around your waist.
    My Crossbreed Supertuck holster uses a molded impression for retention and I have had my Glock slip out of it while on the floor. That has never happend with my Remora. My Remora has better retention from compression than my CBST has from the molded impression. I don't have to cinch my belt up any tighter to get enough compression to keep the Remora and gun in place ALL DAY.
    "I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery." - Thomas Jefferson

VIP Member Array Civil_Response's Avatar
    Crossbreed holsters rely on pressure for retention as well, even they'll tell you that. They are also riveted, so when the rivets work loose, so does your retention.

Honestly, unless you have a level 2 or 3 retention holster it can happen with about anything, but even more so with a holster that is not even attached.

Quote Originally Posted by Thunder71 View Post
    I don't think you can honestly deny that a holster that uses friction for retention can't come out during a scuffle... one odd movement and your pants could easily loosen up, not to mention something (a hand for example) shoving it loose. Furthermore, these aren't 'gun specific' holsters and rely on pressure for retention, not a molded impression, so there is really nothing holding your gun in the holster other than elastic, a belt, or draw string around your waist.

Like I mentioned earlier in this thread, I've read about 2 cases where someone's gun came out their pant leg while, one at a grocery store the other at a Walmart - those are just the public one's I've seen, how many people has it happened to that won't post it in a public forum?

Heck, I'm one of them (until now)... mine has come come loose while at home (both the Remora and Sticky holster). That's why I do not wear them IWB anymore (I actually returned the Remora's I had), there's a reason my good holsters cost me ~$100. As far as the reinforced Remora, I found a quality custom made holster is actually less bulky, and works better - so what's the point use?

This is a hot firearm folks... I see no reason to cut corners in this area. If it works for you, great... but let's not try and pretend there are no drawbacks, it isn't magic how they work and they do not defy gravity or have any fixed mounting point whatsoever.
    I do not deny that any holster can have the problems mentioned if not worn properly. What I can say is that in MY opinion, after actually using the product, is that I think it works pretty well. FOR ME. I cannot see how someone could possibly loose their holstered firearm down their pant leg in a Remora/Sticky holster while wearing a descent belt. I may wear my Remora in sweats or drawstring shorts around the house or for a quick walk in the neiborhood. I would not go out in public without properly dressing around the firearm/holster I am carrying though. I never said there are no drawbacks to this type of holster. I merely stated the facts as they pertain to me and my mode of carry. As I have stated before, the retension & stability of my properly worn Remora is no different than that of my custom leather OWB for the same weapon.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

“Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny”
    Thomas Jefferson

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Sponsored Links