No-clip holsters really a responsible choice?

This is a discussion on No-clip holsters really a responsible choice? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Okay, I know this may ruffle a few feathers, but well, curiosity finally got the best of me, and I haven't seen a frank discussion ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: No-clip holsters really a responsible choice?

No-clip holsters really a responsible choice?

Okay, I know this may ruffle a few feathers, but well, curiosity finally got the best of me, and I haven't seen a frank discussion about this on this forum yet, so I thought I would start it. When no-clip holsters came on the scene (remora, etc) I saw how they were going to be a big hit, but I didn't get one because something bothered me about them. I've always thought that the main object of a holster is to hold it firmly to your body so there's no option of it or the gun going scuttling across the floor. The failure rate of the holster not retaining the gun on one's body should be 0%, not 5% or 10%, etc. That's why so many experts advise against using holster without any retention, with clips that are weak enough that they could break if someone grabbed the holster and tried to rip it off you, etc.

So, I've always understood that a holster should be physically attached to you in some way. How do we reconcile this with no-clip holsters where there's a chance of it and the gun taking a little walk by themselves, however small the chance is?

BTW, this isn't meant to be a 'no more no-clip holsters' thread - frankly, I don't care how anyone else carries a gun - that's for each person to decide. I'm just curious.

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array RightyLefty's Avatar
    I have no experience with a Remora holster but they do seem to be popular from reading the posts here. I wouldn't use a holster that doesn't have a clip(s) on it. My big thing is using a public restroom and taking a leak. I wouldn't want the gun & holster sliding down the inside of my pants or try to secure it with my arm against my side. I don't want to mess around with my carry rig while I am using a public restroom.
    mrm likes this.

I use Remora holsters for my LC9 and Glock 23. After about a year of wearing it, I assure you it is secure if you have decent compression (your pants aren't loose and sagging). I have worn my Remora holsters doing everything from squatting and lifting very large rocks and moving them around the yard, canoeing, and even to the store while wearing athletic shorts or sweatpants with the drawstring tied. I have never had any issues with a Remora holster staying in place. I even saw a video of someone doing a handstand with a Remora and pistol in their waistband and it didn't fall out.

Concerning using a public restroom while wearing a Remora: I have no problem taking a leak in a public restroom. I just leave my pants snapped and belt buckled if wearing one and use the fly, because thats what its for. So no worries about the gun sliding down in my pants. If I take a seat, I place it in the top of my pants so it can't be forgotten when I leave. But of course just like negligence can result in an AD/ND, its your fault if you leave it somewhere, not the fault of the holster.

I also have a CBST holster which is getting dusty in a drawer. So yes, I trust a Remora holster that much.
    "I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery." - Thomas Jefferson

When I use a public restroom I just unzip and do my business. No need to loosen the belt, unbutton, and drop the pants unless there is more to do. In that case, whatever holster I use, the firearm is removed and either placed on the TP dispenser or right into my dropped pants.
    When a Remora holster is placed IWB the retension is equal to my leather OWB holster. I could stand on my head and not lose my pistol. The chances of the weapon or holster scuttling across the floor, at least in my case, are zero. That said, I am looking into getting a Side Guard Minimal Snap or Minimal Clip. Not because I don't like the Remora. I just want to try out the leather holster to see if I like it better.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

“Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny”
    Thomas Jefferson

I think the OP needs to pick up a Remora or Tuff Product and try them out. That would settle his questions (for him)...
    Doug;}
    RSO, WA. XDMc 9mm, S&W 642CT & 442 38 sp, 1947 Savage 99 300,
    1972 Marlin 336 RC .35, 1922 Walther Model 4, 1933 Walther DSM 34, High Standard 1954 22LR

I prefer to be judged by 12 then carried by 6

I'm not sure it is, and there have been reports of them falling out while shopping - definitely not a positive image in our favor.

I have a couple 'Sticky Holsters' which I prefer over the Remora and have never had an issue, but it's my last ditch method of carrying - handy for sweatpants around the house!

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Use what you wish, only you are responsible for it.
    Retired USAF E-8. Avatar is OldVet from days long gone. Oh, to be young again.
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

I had a remora for a S&W Shield. It only fell out once, the gun and holster came out of my pants when I was rolling around on the floor playing with my kids. That was enough for me.

They are great for wearing with gym shorts around the house and stuff if you need to run to the mailbox or something.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ~Mike
    Glock 17, Dale Fricke Archangel, Wilderness Tactical belt.
    My Guns and Tattoos Blog

Quote Originally Posted by Thunder71 View Post
    I'm not sure it is, and there have been reports of them falling out while shopping - definitely not a positive image in our favor.

I have a couple 'Sticky Holsters' which I prefer over the Remora and have never had an issue, but it's my last ditch method of carrying - handy for sweatpants around the house!
    I have not seen those reports. I cant only attest to my experience which has been a positive one. Now I carry an LCR which is pretty light weight. Maybe those individuals having issues are attempting to carry a much heavier weapon in their Remora's. But if my firearm even felt the slightest bit unstable I would not carry in the Remora.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

“Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny”
    Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by kg4ghn View Post
    I had a remora for a S&W Shield. It only fell out once, the gun and holster came out of my pants when I was rolling around on the floor playing with my kids. That was enough for me.

They are great for wearing with gym shorts around the house and stuff if you need to run to the mailbox or something.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I wouldn't want a pistol on me in any holster if I am roughhousing on the floor with my kids.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Thomas Jefferson

The one thing that is absolutley critical when wearing a no-clip holster like a Sticky or Remora is wearing pants/shorts that aren't loose or sagging. If you have droopy drawers or you don't have enough butt to hold your pants up then you are going to have a problem with them. When I'm wearing sweatpants or athletic shorts, I realize that the reality of the situation is that I know the holster isn't secure with just a drawstring but choose to wear it anyway. In shorts with beltloops or pants, I wear a belt and that is enough compression to hold my Remora in place no matter what activity I'm involved in.
    BenGoodLuck likes this.
    "I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery." - Thomas Jefferson

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder71 View Post
    I use the Remora on occasion with my Glock 30. I agree with Chesafreak that you need to have good compression with your pants - not loose or sagging. The only time I have not felt secure with the Remora is when I'm wearing sweatpants - they are too loose to securely keep the holster in place.
    Ben

Cogito, ergo armatum sum.
    I think, therefore I am armed.

(Don Mann, The Modern Day Gunslinger; the ultimate handgun training manual)

The Remora is the only holster I have for my S&W 442. It has worked perfectly for the eight months I have used it as an IWB and pocket holster and has never given me any worry about the gun coming out.

Quote Originally Posted by SoleShtr View Post
    I have no experience with a Remora holster but they do seem to be popular from reading the posts here. I wouldn't use a holster that doesn't have a clip(s) on it. My big thing is using a public restroom and taking a leak. I wouldn't want the gun & holster sliding down the inside of my pants or try to secure it with my arm against my side. I don't want to mess around with my carry rig while I am using a public restroom.
    You sit down to pee? Why can't you just unzip your fly and use a urinal. That leaves your waist still buttoned and belted holding your rig in place throughout the whole piss. Dumps on the hand..... That wouldn't really work through an unzipped fly.

If you think about it, when you use an IWB that is held in place by a clip, it is not "attached to you", it is held in place by friction (clip to belt). The Remora and Sticky holsters are really no different; they are held in place by friction.
    Earth is the insane asylum of the universe!

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links