Help me spend my money! (gun belt & IWB holster recs please)

This is a discussion on Help me spend my money! (gun belt & IWB holster recs please) within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So I got a Glock 23 gen 4 and would like to carry it. I've had a cc permit here in PA for 20+ years ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help me spend my money! (gun belt & IWB holster recs please)

Help me spend my money! (gun belt & IWB holster recs please)

So I got a Glock 23 gen 4 and would like to carry it. I've had a cc permit here in PA for 20+ years but never really carried before (I also have an older Sig Sauer P225 9mm).

I'm not thin - or overweight (buy much ) - about 5'-11" and 182lbs. I wear a 36" waist pant - which is slightly big but not too bad so it would seem the general consensus is to go with a 40" gun belt. Not sure on the benefits of 5 vs. 7 holes etc.

I'd like some recommendations from you experts on a decent looking gun belt (in brown probably to start since it pains me to spend $60-80 on a belt in the first place - might get a black one later) and good IWB holster.

I wear slacks/dockers and long or short sleeve dress shirts (tucked in) to work with and without undershirts depending on the weather - very rarely suits and mostly jeans/t-shirts (or sweatshirts in winter) when not at work - sometimes a polo. I prefer my clothes slightly loose fitting.

Anyway - I like the Crossbreed SuperTuck Deluxe & QwikClip for an IWB holster - but I'm open to other suggestions (particularly for brands available now rather than a 5 week wait as seems to be the case with Crossbreed - same on belts).

For a belt I've looked at both the Belt Man and Bullhide brands (thinking 1.5" but 1.25" would probably better with dress pants - but that seems to not be overly recommended?) - not sure about the whole velcro option and would like suggestions there as well. Also not sure on the Belt Man being 2 layers vs. the Bullhide being 1.

I'd also like to be sure whatever I buy is relatively comfortable while driving (I have an F150 so I'm not crammed into a small area and have some room - but I also don't want to be puncturing my leather seats if certain IWB holster are more prone to that).

Since this is my first time buying these items I'd like to do it right and not waste money on junk I'll regret later and replace - but I also don't want to totally break the bank either.

Just looking for some general guidance and suggestions from you all while I do forum searching and website researching so that I can make an informed decision. I wish I knew of a place in the Pittsburgh, PA (or North of Pittsburgh) vicinity that stocked multiple versions of these things so I could just check them out in person.

Thanks very much for reading!

Bill

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    I love my Wilderness Tactical belts, but I would suggest buying one six inches longer than your pant inseam if you are going to carry IWB. I also love the Brommeland Max-Con V holster. Glock compact is one of his most popular holsters, so I'm not sure what the wait time would be. Give him a call if you are interested. The Brommeland Max-Con V, (arguably) The Best IWB Holster On The Planet - YouTube
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

Smile

Custom holsters at half the price!!!

Post 5 from the top... Here is my recommendation.

Sponsor
    Glock-gun-left-2000.jpgGlock-gun-front-right-1500.jpgGlock-gun-front-left-1500.jpgfeature, small.jpg

Take a look at SHTF Gear LLC You can find your holster here Glock 19/23/32 ACE-1 Holster .

Excellent choice on the gun. My personal favorite for CC is the midsized glocks (I carry a 32) .

Thanks,
    Clay

Belt wise go with 1 1/2" Beltman, or A&G Custom Gun Belts, Custom Leather Belts from A & G Custom Gun Leather for dress pants/dockers as tactical belts will look ridiculous with your dress style.. Dual layer Beltman or A&G belts will support more weight without sagging than will Wilderness nylon belts. (and yes I have all three.) Or you can add a pair of Perry Suspenders Welcome to the Perry Suspenders eStore to the Wilderness and break even on support. I sometimes use the latter set-up with jeans or cargos, a GLOCK 19 and spare mag.

Standing vs. sitting, hungry vs. big meal, call for 7 holes at 3/4" apart to make comfort adjustments more precise.

Your wanting to "do it right the first time" is on the money! (Guess how I know.)

My belt is from DM Bullard. My holster is from white hat. Bullard usually has belts ready to ship. White hat delivers in about two weeks.

You can get a Milt Sparks Summer Special II online at Brownells, no waiting. Just about my favorite holster.

AG Gunleather makes my belts. Outstanding quality.

Holster wise you might check out the Old Faithful IWB tuck-able holster. The design is similar to the Crossbreed, however they use thicker kydex and leather. Also, the kydex is attached using screws instead of rivets. This allows for adjustment...and if you buy the stage 3 kit the price is half that of Crossbreed. It took me 15 minutes to put together and I've been wearing it for over 6 weeks now...it works and feels great. Just my 2 cents worth.

Quote Originally Posted by RevTracy View Post
    Holster wise you might check out the Old Faithful IWB tuck-able holster. The design is similar to the Crossbreed, however they use thicker kydex and leather. Also, the kydex is attached using screws instead of rivets. This allows for adjustment...and if you buy the stage 3 kit the price is half that of Crossbreed. It took me 15 minutes to put together and I've been wearing it for over 6 weeks now...it works and feels great. Just my 2 cents worth.
    EDIT: I did what I should have (researched) before asking this question. There's quite a bit of info on the net regarding cow vs. Horse

RevTracy

Thanks for the link. Looks like a sweet cost effective solution. Did you get the bridle leather or the horse hide? Any specific benefit that you're aware of for getting horse?

Thanks,

Moe
    Last edited by Denardus; September 28th, 2012 at 01:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Denardus View Post
    RevTracy

Thanks for the link. Looks like a sweet cost effective solution. Did you get the bridle leather or the horse hide? Any specific benefit that you're aware of for getting horse?

Thanks,

Moe
    You're welcome! I got the bridle leather...from my research the horse hide is softer, so it's better against bare skin, and handles moisture better. Since I always wear a t-shirt neither of those reasons matter to me. However, if there is a possibility of wearing it against bare skin you might want to go with the horse hide.

Minotaur M-TAC and a good leather belt from thebeltman.net is what I typically have.
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."
    - Roy Batty

I've been wearing a Wilderness Tactical Instructors belt now for the past month or so and love it. It's more comfortable than any other belt I've had and it looks ok with everything from jeans to khaki shorts or cargo type shorts. Probably wouldn't wear with this slacks, but that's about it.

For a holster I went with a White Hat IWB made out of horsehide. Should be here Monday or Tuesday so I'll know in the next couple of weeks how comfortable and concealable it is.

Ordered a belt Saturday night from Bullhide Belts and it arrived today. Looks great, feels great. No report on how well it "functions" yet, but I'm very pleased with the delivery time, look and feel. Quite the difference from my Dockers belt. ;-)

http://www.bullhidebelts.com/Gun-Belts_ep_111-1.html
    Last edited by iguanadon; September 28th, 2012 at 04:08 PM. Reason: Updated the link to go directly to the gun belts
    Raleigh... Where Barney comes to Party...

Glock 27 or M&P Shield for every day carry (LCP for deep conceal when necessary)... Glock 23 for the home.

Call me Iggy. Only my mother calls me by my full given name.

Quote Originally Posted by iguanadon View Post
    Ordered a belt Saturday night from Bullhide Belts and it arrived today. Looks great, feels great. No report on how well it "functions" yet, but I'm very pleased with the delivery time, look and feel. Quite the difference from my Dockers belt. ;-)

Quality USA Handcrafted Belts - Bullhide Belts, Dress Leather Belts, Gun Belts, Holsters, Double Prong Belts, Money Belts
    Thanks for sharing that...I hadn't seen this vendor before. Let us know how the belt "functions."

Quote Originally Posted by RevTracy View Post
    Thanks for sharing that...I hadn't seen this vendor before. Let us know how the belt "functions."
    Will do. And by the way, they make the measuring process very easy... which helps dopes like me from screwing up.
    Raleigh... Where Barney comes to Party...

Glock 27 or M&P Shield for every day carry (LCP for deep conceal when necessary)... Glock 23 for the home.

Call me Iggy. Only my mother calls me by my full given name.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links