Best Concealment Holster for Rapid Handgun Presentation / Access

This is a discussion on Best Concealment Holster for Rapid Handgun Presentation / Access within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hi 10th, good to hear back from you, my nephew informed me that I was not responding correctly with my replies. I slowed down a ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Best Concealment Holster for Rapid Handgun Presentation / Access

Hi 10th, good to hear back from you, my nephew informed me that I was not responding correctly with my replies. I slowed down a little and spent last night and the better part of this morning comparing the SmartCarry vs. the CL4. I watched videos on both holsters a few times and finally decided to try the CL4, ordered the Executive model. Access just looks better to me in a fight.

Still curious to know what other people think about this though, never seen anything like it before. I don’t know if it’s going to work but, if it’s half as good as the demos, I’ll be happy. Typically I would agree about the printing IWB, at least with a full size handgun but, dang if they didn’t conceal a Desert Eagle that way, under a stinking t-shirt. The other thing I found interesting was the way they actually measured access, never seen that before either. Anyhow, I’ll refrain from singing praises until I try this and see if it really works. Stay safe out there brother and thanks for the input. And thanks to everyone else as well! Don’t mean to ignore anyone and I did look at most of the other holsters that were mentioned.

2. Remove Ads

I carry in a Dale Fricke Archangel or Ehud regularly.

When I need to 'tuck', I have a Desantis bellyband that has been slightly modified.

I added a Dale Fricke Zack holster to my bellyband with threaded post screws and carry it in my normal AIWB position, except now I can cover it with my tucked shirt.

It works great for church, business casual or any other time when a more formal appearance is needed.

I can carry my G26 or 19 (both with milled RDS) concealed very easily with this set-up.

TAC1,

Please be sure to post a review once you have tried the CL4. Your earlier post was the first I had heard of that holster. I looked for some reviews; I found lots of videos, etc by the vendor, but no reviews by uninvolved users. It does look like a very similar concept to the Versacarry, but a very different implementation.

I tend to be a holster "junky", always looking for the next best thing.
    Earth is the insane asylum of the universe!

Senior Member Array Phillep Harding's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pfries View Post
    That is an assassintaion technique. Total time to draw should include time to put left hand in pocket and push the firearm up into position. Not useful for self defense, IMO.

Scary video. How to counter? The only warning I saw was a tiny, easily overlooked, change in body language as the killers approached the target.

Quote Originally Posted by ScottM View Post
    I carry in a Dale Fricke Archangel or Ehud regularly.

When I need to 'tuck', I have a Desantis bellyband that has been slightly modified.

I added a Dale Fricke Zack holster to my bellyband with threaded post screws and carry it in my normal AIWB position, except now I can cover it with my tucked shirt.
    I just picked up an archangel for my glock 19. I will definitely say it allows a person to get their gun into action quickly. Very nice holster.

sent via iCarry

Scott, that sounds interesting. This forum thing is pretty cool for hearing people’s ideas and views. I was wondering why the need to attach a holster to a bellyband vs. just using the bellyband itself. I’ve used bellybands quite a bit for work. They get the job done okay but, I just don’t care for the girdle feeling all day.

Yes, I’ll let you guys know about the CL4 if you’re interested. I know what you mean about not finding anything other than what’s been posted by the company. I even put a call in to them to see if I could get anyone on the phone and find out what the story was. No one answered but, it is the weekend. Left a message and we’ll see what happens, I’m not holding my breath. Can’t wait to get it though, I’ll try calling again on Monday.

Agree completely but I would still like to know how they're actually securing the handgun though, if at all. I know they're disabling safeties so who knows but, it is very scary and I'm not sure there is a counter for it. Honest to goodness assassination is almost impossible to defend against when you're on your own and difficult even for highly trained teams. We just have to pay attention, train, and never become complacent. Thanks for the input. Stay safe.

Ok, gotta run guys. The wife is not liking this forum thing. I'll be in touch.

Quote Originally Posted by TAC1 View Post
    I was wondering why the need to attach a holster to a bellyband vs. just using the bellyband itself.
    The Zack, being a trigger guard only 'holster', provides a little extra safety margin and doesn't compromise my speed any.

Hi guys,
    Talked to the owner of Tradecraft yesterday and my CL4 should be here on Wednesday. I spent the better part of this evening trying the access drill from the challenge video with different holsters. About the only way to come close to pulling this off is with an appendix carry rig. Has anyone else tried this and if not, how do you typically test or measure for handgun access?

I’ve searched for just about every variation of wording in regards to measuring or testing for “handgun access” that I can think of and I can’t find anything else on this anywhere. Regardless of the holster you’re using, we always hear about making sure that your handgun is accessible but, what is an accessible handgun and how else might you measure for this?

Quote Originally Posted by TAC1 View Post
    Hi guys,
    Talked to the owner of Tradecraft yesterday and my CL4 should be here on Wednesday. I spent the better part of this evening trying the access drill from the challenge video with different holsters. About the only way to come close to pulling this off is with an appendix carry rig. Has anyone else tried this and if not, how do you typically test or measure for handgun access?

I’ve searched for just about every variation of wording in regards to measuring or testing for “handgun access” that I can think of and I can’t find anything else on this anywhere. Regardless of the holster you’re using, we always hear about making sure that your handgun is accessible but, what is an accessible handgun and how else might you measure for this?
    Accessibility is kind of a subjective thing. What's accessible to one might be too slow for another.

One way to consider it is; how many steps does it take to clear your cover garment and get a grip on your pistol?

Typically, appendix carry is quicker to access than other modes of carry. But that's gonna depend greatly on the user's skill, holster type, cover garment type, etc.

Sent from my Galaxy S2
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

Quote Originally Posted by zacii View Post
    Accessibility is kind of a subjective thing. What's accessible to one might be too slow for another.

One way to consider it is; how many steps does it take to clear your cover garment and get a grip on your pistol?

Typically, appendix carry is quicker to access than other modes of carry. But that's gonna depend greatly on the user's skill, holster type, cover garment type, etc.

Hi zacii, that's kind of my point, everyone tends to view access as subjective but, is this really the case. I'm not talking about speed here, without a doubt some people will always be faster than others, I am looking for opinions on the most reliable way to get to and draw your handgun in any situation. Everyone always says you have to have access to your weapon but, what does that mean? Without a doubt there will always be unorthodox ways of doing things but, for most people there is always an ideal way to accomplish a task. This is true in almost every sport out there and if you look at true professionals, for the most part they all do things the same. This applies to shooting, martial arts, golf, tennis, football, baseball, etc. but, not to concealed carry, why? Everyone preaches access, concealment, and comfort but, if you ask someone what that means they can't tell you. It's pretty much every man for himself. Don't get me wrong, I'm not claiming to have the answers here but, this is a question that the owner of Tradecraft asked me the other day and I gave him pretty much the same answer you had. I gotta admit, I liked his a whole lot better but, I wanted to hear what a few other people had to say about this. For something that everyone talks an awful lot about, I'm really surprised that there aren't more opinions on this. This sticky post has grown awful quiet.

Bishkek, Kyrgyzstan; by way of St. Mayberry, GA
    Without being specific WRT holsters....... any holster on my strong-side in the (approximately) 4 to 5-o'clock position, wether IWB or OWB, seems to offer the best 'access' with my dress (winter or summer) AND offers the best concealment overall.

Can you access your sidearm..... with either hand, from multiple positions from a good concealed location on your person?
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

No, I fully admit that I cannot. That's why I'm really kind of excited about this new holster. Should be here today I think and I really hope it works. And even if it doesn't, I'm just saying that there has to be a "best way" to achieve this. I mean c'mon there's a proper way to shoot a handgun, swing a golf club, or throw a football, why should it be any different when it comes to carrying a handgun for self-defense. In my opinion I think the biggest problem is that there are a heck of a lot of theories out there but, they're never put to the test. I mean if something doesn't work in a self-defense situation and you end up dead, all the rest of us hear about is the fact that you ended up dead. Look at MMA, there were a lot of opinions on what the best martial art was prior to UFC and it was pretty much every man for himself. Then they actually starting fighting and we found out what works best and what doesn't. There's a measure. The techniques that have proven most effective rise to the top and everyone trains in them. So what I'm saying is why is concealed carry different, we talk about access and concealment but, what's the measure and how do we really know that we're as prepared as we can be? Thanks for your input though, not saying I have the answer, just looking to talk about it.

If I wore a pistol at 4:00-5:00 there is no way I could reach it with my left hand, plus it would print every time I bend over, and it would be a pain in the ___ every time I sat down. However, wearing between 10:00 to 2:00, I can reach it easily with either hand, it is very concealable and very comfortable. I have no trouble carrying a pistol with a 4-1/2" barrel and 16 rounds this way.
    tmoore912 likes this.
    Earth is the insane asylum of the universe!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links