"Gun" holster belts, worth it? - Page 3

"Gun" holster belts, worth it?

This is a discussion on "Gun" holster belts, worth it? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Since there's a gun belt thread going, I'll jump in with a few questions of my own if no one minds. How many of you ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree27Likes

Thread: "Gun" holster belts, worth it?

Since there's a gun belt thread going, I'll jump in with a few questions of my own if no one minds.

How many of you are using an internally reinforced belt? How does it compare to a good leather belt? I've always just used a double thick leather gun belt, but have been wondering if the internal reinforcement makes much of a difference.

Also, anyone use one of those velcro lined belts and clips? How well does the velcro really work?

Beltman .... definitely worth every penny.
    OldMick likes this.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

tQ
    Quote Originally Posted by F350_6 View Post
    Since there's a gun belt thread going, I'll jump in with a few questions of my own if no one minds.

How many of you are using an internally reinforced belt? How does it compare to a good leather belt? I've always just used a double thick leather gun belt, but have been wondering if the internal reinforcement makes much of a difference.

Also, anyone use one of those velcro lined belts and clips? How well does the velcro really work?
    I use an internally-reinforced Wilderness belt. Honestly, if I ever need to buy another Wilderness belt, I will forgo the internal reinforcement.

"Stiff" does not even begin to describe how the belt feels. It's like somebody molded a belt around my waist out of concrete.
    F350_6 likes this.

I used to think it didn't matter, then I bought an Aker B-21 gun belt and MAN was I wrong! For IWB it keeps it from sagging. For OWB it keeps high ride holsters from flapping away from the body and from sagging. The below pic (sorry for the horrible background of my man cave bath mat) is a steel framed 1911 compact, weighs in at 32oz unloaded and in this pic it has a full mag of 230gr bullets. Check out the stiffness of the belt. Try that with a normal belt and see what happens. EDIT: for the guy who asked, this one is reinforced but is still relatively comfy.

belt stiff.jpg
    F350_6 likes this.

I have two Wilderness belts with the inserts. I love them, much more than my leather gun belt (I think it's a Comp-tac). I prefer the greater adjustability, and also that the belt is stiff where it needs to be, and flexible where it needs to be.
    F350_6 likes this.

CJM
    I carry OWB with a full size gun, so yes, either a double thick leather belt or a web belt made specifically for the purpose of carrying a gun all day is most definitely worth every penny.

CJM

My CompTac leather belt is two layers of leather with a polymer insert sandwiched between them, and it is absolutely rock solid. I could probably carry two full size guns strongside and still not be able to get that belt to sag or droop. The Wilderness Tactical CSM 1.75" model has the same type of insert, works equally well and is about half the cost. I don't find either of these to be any less comfortable to wear than cheap Walmart belts. I opt for the good belts even when not carrying, which is usually only when I'm at my daughters school functions where I can't carry.
    F350_6 likes this.

I have both Beltman leather & 5.11 Instructors nylon-reinforced gun belts. The only folks I know who DON'T think (sorry Brad) that dedicated gun belts are worth the money are people who have never spent the money or taken the time...to USE ONE! Ask any (well-respected) professional pistol-craft instructor. Ask any door-kickin', felon chasin' LEO. Ask anyone who's (repeatedly) gone to the ground defending their life. If you can find just one of those folks to answer your question in the negative...I'll buy you a brand-new Dickies belt!
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Quote Originally Posted by ghost tracker View Post
    I have both Beltman leather & 5.11 Instructors nylon-reinforced gun belts. The only folks I know who DON'T think (sorry Brad) that dedicated gun belts are worth the money are people who have never spent the money or taken the time...to USE ONE! Ask any (well-respected) professional pistol-craft instructor. Ask any door-kickin', felon chasin' LEO. Ask anyone who's (repeatedly) gone to the ground defending their life. If you can find just one of those folks to answer your question in the negative...I'll buy you a brand-new Dickies belt!
    I still love you... everyone is entitled to disagree with me (or as I call it "Be wrong").
    smolck likes this.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

Quote Originally Posted by Brad426 View Post
    I still love you... everyone is entitled to disagree with me (or as I call it "Be wrong").
    You keep that up & I might just feel sooo very sorry for a misplaced, homesick Wildcat that I...send you a real, big boy Gun Belt! (*But it'll say "U of L" in BIG RED LETTERS)
    Brad426 likes this.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Quote Originally Posted by ghost tracker View Post
    You keep that up & I might just feel sooo very sorry for a misplaced, homesick Wildcat that I...send you a real, big boy Gun Belt! (*But it'll say "U of L" in BIG RED LETTERS)
    Well-played.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

I learned I needed a gun belt from the good people on this forum but I couldn't believe the prices. Hanks Clothing has nice thick gun belts for $32.00 with free and fast shipping. I've had mine for about a month and I think it's a great belt for half the price of others. BTW, I learned about Hanks from this forum as well.

Distinguished Member Array tcox4freedom's Avatar
    In a word; YES!

It does make a difference, especially for a long day! The only time I don't wear a gun belt is when I go to church. I uses a thick 1.25" dress belt because I will just be wearing it for a couple of hours before I come home & change.

The real problem with most "plain" belts is stretching & excessive wear & tear. Good gun belts will stand up a LOT better! Before I started using a gun belt I would go through three belts a year. They would stretch and the leather would get damaged from carrying a holster & gun 14-16hrs a day. Since I bought my gun belts, I haven't had to replace a belt for almost four years now; and it looks like they will last another four years.

I recommend Crossbreed Seconds for a leather belt. (I bought a brown & black one with Velcro backing.) For casual "summertime" wear, I chose a Wilderness Tactical Five Stitch "Instructor" Belt from Midway.

-

OK, gotta add my .02! YES, without a doubt! I have both a Galco leather belt and a Wilderness 5 stitch Instructor belt that I use depending on the pants that I'm wearing. Worth every penny they cost.
    Live to ride, ride to live. Harley Road King And keep a .45 handy Kimber Custom TLE II

Quote Originally Posted by smolck View Post
    I used to think it didn't matter, then I bought an Aker B-21 gun belt and MAN was I wrong! For IWB it keeps it from sagging. For OWB it keeps high ride holsters from flapping away from the body and from sagging. The below pic (sorry for the horrible background of my man cave bath mat) is a steel framed 1911 compact, weighs in at 32oz unloaded and in this pic it has a full mag of 230gr bullets. Check out the stiffness of the belt. Try that with a normal belt and see what happens. EDIT: for the guy who asked, this one is reinforced but is still relatively comfy.

belt stiff.jpg
    Are all the Aker belts reinforced? It doesn't really say on their website. I'm interested in the dress belts if they have the internal reinforcement.

Quote Originally Posted by xtalman View Post
    I have two Wilderness belts with the inserts. I love them, much more than my leather gun belt (I think it's a Comp-tac). I prefer the greater adjustability, and also that the belt is stiff where it needs to be, and flexible where it needs to be.
    Thanks, but I don't think I'm ready for a belt like that. The leather is more my style.

Quote Originally Posted by CJM View Post
    My CompTac leather belt is two layers of leather with a polymer insert sandwiched between them, and it is absolutely rock solid. I could probably carry two full size guns strongside and still not be able to get that belt to sag or droop. The Wilderness Tactical CSM 1.75" model has the same type of insert, works equally well and is about half the cost. I don't find either of these to be any less comfortable to wear than cheap Walmart belts. I opt for the good belts even when not carrying, which is usually only when I'm at my daughters school functions where I can't carry.
    I was looking at CompTac, but now I'm thinking about Aker.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links